Is there any reason

that the majority of mobile phones, mp3 players etc can't all use the same
charger that puts out 5v and uses the same plug as one of those small usb
connectors? This would have many advantages such as only needing one car
charger, being able to charge off a PC and reducing cables as a lot of
devices come with usb cables anyway. The other advantage is of course that
chargers would be interchangable and easier to replace. It could also be
good for the environment as the chargers could possibly be sold seperately.
Is there any reason this hasn't happened?

Michael

Re: Is there any reason

Well... for one, if you bought something off me and it broke down... guess
what I'd put the blame on ;)

Re: Is there any reason

I've never heard of a USB manufacturer blaming the USB port.

Michael

Re: Is there any reason

This boy is quick!

Re: Is there any reason

Because if you could use a standard charger then you wouldn't buy THEIR
charger and they wouldn't make any money which is the whole point of
being in business in the first place.

Friday

Re: Is there any reason

I think you're right, although I don't see how their profit would be
effected that much. Surely the first manufacturer to start doing this would
sell more products and make more money.

Re: Is there any reason

I suspect that some Chinese operator would rip off the design and
produce them in such large quantities and at such a low price that
no-one could compete. Then nobody would bother.

Re: Is there any reason

On Thu, 06 Jul 2006 22:54:53 GMT, swanny

The chargers for my Motorola V3i and Bluetooth headset are both made in China.
The phone and headset are probably made there as well. Check the labels on
your own gear to see how much is made in China these days.

Re: Is there any reason

There already is a wall wart that has a USB socket mainly aimed at the IPod
market. I would be surprised if it isn't made in China.

If all the units used this sort of charger then there would be no need to
include  a separate charger with each piece of equipment, manifacturer's
cost would go down, packaging would be simplified, and transport costs
reduced. All in all the consumer's price should drop. Also, if you lost
your charger or it died, you could just drop into any electrical shop and
pick up a new one. Try doing that now.

Re: Is there any reason

The first question to ask is "What is a *standard* charger?"

Re: Is there any reason

5V 500ma with a USB plug on the end of it.

Michael

Re: Is there any reason

Whilst this will not relieve your frustration, a Douglas Adams essay is
always a good read. Your post reminded me of one of my favorite DNA
articles:

http://www.douglasadams.com/dna/980707-03-a.html

Cheers!
Rick Measham

Re: Is there any reason

My O2 atom charges while plugged in to the USB port, though it would be nice
if all phones had a standard charging port and all cars used the same
parts..........

:-P

Re: Is there any reason

Would you like to drive the same car as everyone else. Would you like to
live in a house that was identical to everyone else's?

If one factory made everything, where would we all get jobs to pay for all
the identical products?

It's called consumer choice.

Re: Is there any reason

There's a huge difference in this case though, consumers don't need the
choice of different chargers for different electronics. This choice is only
to profit manufacturers (although I think it is a false economy for them).

Re: Is there any reason

No its not, currently there is no choice, you have to use the charger that
the manufacturer provides. If there was a universal charger interface, you
would be free to choose the charger that best suited you. Now THATS called
consumer choice.

Re: Is there any reason

The choice is in the equipment. You choose the equipment, the manufacturer
supplies the charger. What more could you want? If the equipment didnt come
with a charger, then you would have something to complain about.

Re: Is there any reason

there is one already it uses spade terminals and outputs 240V AC 40Hz

 / \

Bye.
   Jasen

Re: Is there any reason

Well why dont i get a choice in the design of my 240v power point?

Re: Is there any reason

High level of intelligence on this group tonight, isn't there?

Site Timeline