Is there an easy way to multiply / step up DC voltage??

I know with transformers/coils I can step up AC voltage easily, what about
DC voltage?
Is it possible? Will capacitors and coils be able to multiply/step up
voltages?
How can it be done?

Re: Is there an easy way to multiply / step up DC voltage??

a 555 timer or something similar would be a good start,
then a series of capacitors and diodes, the same type of circuit as a
tripler in a color TV

Oh by the way,  I am sure modern technology will not let step up DC voltage,
this is why you have to chop up the DC into square wave with a 555 timer IC

If you or someone can find a way of stepping up pure/straight DC to a higher
voltage, you might get a Ph.D. with honors.

I know with transformers/coils I can step up AC voltage easily, what about
DC voltage?
Is it possible? Will capacitors and coils be able to multiply/step up
voltages?
How can it be done?

Re: Is there an easy way to multiply / step up DC voltage??

so how does a tripler in a color TV works? When you step up the voltage, say
if you chopped up the voltage to a square wave etc. what's the limit to the
stepping up? ie. how many times you can multiply it? How many volts you can
step it up to?

Re: Is there an easy way to multiply / step up DC voltage??

http://www.blazelabs.com/e-exp15.asp
the top diagram has a circuit (multwork.gif), this is driven from a
transformer winding but it could be driven from say a 555 timer

so how does a tripler in a color TV works? When you step up the voltage, say
if you chopped up the voltage to a square wave etc. what's the limit to the
stepping up? ie. how many times you can multiply it? How many volts you can
step it up to?

Re: Is there an easy way to multiply / step up DC voltage??

Hi Eric,
             I think this is spot on to what I was looking for, I guess this
will be the easiest way to step up 5-12V up to 30-40kV (low current needed
only) for experimental purposes?

Re: Is there an easy way to multiply / step up DC voltage??

"Bill T"

 **  " Bill E. T "   dark, murky and stewed.

 **  If Eric the Kiwi Fuckturd is what  *you* were looking for  -   then my
god are we in trouble.

.........   Phil

Re: Is there an easy way to multiply / step up DC voltage??

you say => the easiest way to step up 5-12V up to 30-40KV
that will cost you a fortune in diodes & capacitors, you will need about
6,000 of each

Hi Eric,
             I think this is spot on to what I was looking for, I guess this
will be the easiest way to step up 5-12V up to 30-40kV (low current needed
only) for experimental purposes?

Re: Is there an easy way to multiply / step up DC voltage??

"Eric"  =   Sheep shagger extraordinaire

 ** Funny how 12 volt colour TV sets do it so easily.

.........  Phil

Re: Is there an easy way to multiply / step up DC voltage??

that makes sense, so how does a 12V colour TV set does it? Is it the same CW
multiplier?
Would it be easier if I actually source a broken 12V TV set then?

Re: Is there an easy way to multiply / step up DC voltage??

"Bill T"

**  So you have never heard of Google ???

**   You might need one that actually works if you are hell bent on
electrocution.

.........   Phil

Re: Is there an easy way to multiply / step up DC voltage??

yeah, having no luck with the search engine

Re: Is there an easy way to multiply / step up DC voltage??

"Bill T"

**  Hope you have better luck with your self electrocution.

    ASAP

 ........  Phil

Re: Is there an easy way to multiply / step up DC voltage??

Worked for me...

12VDC to 10KV:
<http://www.uoguelph.ca/~antoon/circ/hv/hvdcgen/hvdcgen.html

AC to DC multipliers:
<http://www.kronjaeger.com/hv/hv/src/mul/

10-30KV Flyback Power Supply
<http://www.web-ee.com/Schematics/Flyback/flyback.htm

12VDC to 12KV
<http://www.ee.washington.edu/circuit_archive/circuits/F_ASCII_Schem.html#ASCIISCHEM_018

Cheers

Re: Is there an easy way to multiply / step up DC voltage??

"Martin"
<http://www.ee.washington.edu/circuit_archive/circuits/F_ASCII_Schem.html#ASCIISCHEM_018

**  Remember,  Marty  - you may have the life of a total fuckwit on your
hands.

  Or an innocent child instead.

........  Phil

Re: Is there an easy way to multiply / step up DC voltage??

<http://www.ee.washington.edu/circuit_archive/circuits/F_ASCII_Schem.html#ASCIISCHEM_018

Yeah, I really should've put the comment "WARNING!  Keep clear of ALL other
people if building one of these" and "Death can be permanent"

I mean, if he wants to fry himself with 10 - 30KV then that's his decision.
One less future Dick Smith Electronics store manager to worry about!

:-)

Re: Is there an easy way to multiply / step up DC voltage??

put finger to keyboard and composed:

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Lab/5322/hv2.html

-- Franc Zabkar

Re: Is there an easy way to multiply / step up DC voltage??

If using the CW method, it will take 12 lossless cycle, so in real life it
will take around 16-20 cycles,
how so approx 120-160 components? But still it may cost $100+ for the
components right?
Is there other better methods? What is inside a 12V TV circuit?
I've searched "12v portable crt tv high voltage step up circuit" with no
useful results...

Re: Is there an easy way to multiply / step up DC voltage??

<http://members.misty.com/don/samflyhv.html

Re: Is there an easy way to multiply / step up DC voltage??

put finger to keyboard and composed:

Search for articles on electric fence controllers (Silicon Chip had
such a project in July 1995), or build an automotive ignition circuit
using an ignition coil, 555 timer, tuning capacitor, damper diode, and
a chopper transistor. Or adapt a TV flyback transformer circuit by
energising a low voltage winding (eg 6V heater) on the secondary side.

-- Franc Zabkar

Re: Is there an easy way to multiply / step up DC voltage??

It's called a step-up, or "boost" DC-DC converter.
There are special ICs dedicated to this task which come in two types,
inductor based and capacitor charge pump based.
Try maxim for starters:
http://www.maxim-ic.com/PowerSupplies.cfm

Some tutorials are here:
http://www.maxim-ic.com/appnotes.cfm/appnote_number/2031
http://www1.jaycar.com.au/images_uploaded/dcdcconv.pdf
Heaps extra links here:
http://users.pandora.be/educypedia/electronics/powerelectronicssmps.htm

You can also build your own with discrete components if you want.

Dave :)

Site Timeline