Is the "Skills Shortage" real ? - Page 2

Re: Is the "Skills Shortage" real ?

Half the uni grads I've interviewed can't even use an analog meter or
cro, let alone solder.
*sigh*
The likelyhood of being able to do anything useful vs educational
qualifications appears to approximate that of an exponential decay
response :->

Dave :)

Re: Is the "Skills Shortage" real ?

They will probably end up on the dole then. Not that many managerial jobs
for EE's.

MrT.

Re: Is the "Skills Shortage" real ?

There are "shortages" in some areas.
Now, your and my definition of a shortage is probably very different to
these "shortages". We probably belong to the old school definition of a
shortage.

When you have a boom in construction, etc, there is always an immediate
shortage. Coupled with the modern method of staffing is to only have
permanent staff for the on-going load and recruit temporary staff for
the "boom" time.

And when a company can not recruit that staff, when they  want them AND
at the $$$ the company is prepared to pay (so they make humungous
profits), then there is obviously a shortage.

ROFL yet?

And of course, the company has to bleat on to all and sundry about it
and claim there is a "skills shortage", which encourages the government to
a) force diabled, etc, etc to apply for these jobs (no skills, no training)
b) allowed "skilled immigration".

Nope, definitely not in engineering/manufacturing. There are always adds
for cnc trademan in the local paper, but I do not consider there to be a
real shortage as whenever you ask the factory/company owners what they
are paying for the position "award wages" ROFL.

So, they expect some one to do four years of evening TAFE to get a
fitting and machining qualification, then one or two years (?) of cnc
training and then still not be acceptable because his experience isn't
on their brand of machinery.

In comparison, this guy can spend a few hundred $$ and a few days at
fork lift training school and pull from $27/hour loading and unload
containers. No contest. And those figures are after the agency takes
it's cut (~50%).

Yep.

IT wages have arsed out over the last decade.

We have become so efficent at stuff, that demand for labour/employees
has fallen dramatically. So much so, that it isn't worth the effort to
do any involved personal education/training because you are highly
unlikely to every get your costs back.

Re: Is the "Skills Shortage" real ?

A skilled person often makes less than the guy he pays to mow his lawn.
In NZ the skills shortage is really a shortage of skilled people who will work
for 'unskilled' wages.

Re: Is the "Skills Shortage" real ?

What are you qualified for? Who have you been sending your cv to?
What sort of "useful" work are you specifically looking for in electronics?
Are you prepared to move interstate for a job? Are you prepared to do
tertiary study to upgrade your skillset, or change career?

There's no denying the shortage in health care professionals. Civil engineers,
building services and HV electrical engineers have been also been required,
and are paying quite good salaries. Accountants? Apparently there has been
a drive on for them, and we can expect an oversupply I suspect in the next
few years, but that will eventually level out, similar to the IT oversupply
several years ago. Compare the number of jobs available for electronic
engineers to database managers.

As I see it, either upgrade your skills, or try another vocation.

Re: Is the "Skills Shortage" real ?

your bedsit while
113 jobs for electrical
engineers/techs, in Sydney.
Seriously.
A/V, Brown
Wouldn't Phil need some qualifications first?  BTW the last
A/V product he tried to fix (an aging set of Quad ESL 63s)
he "let the smoke out" and had to take them back for a
refund.  Sad really, he should have read the warnings on the
box and let the authorised service agent look at it ;-)

Please bear in mind Phil *abhors* and *despises* anyone with
any qualifications as they are the antithesis of what he has
achieved.

Regards TT

Re: Is the "Skills Shortage" real ?

Austek Security must think there is skills shortage with them having
trouble filling this role at a whopping $35K:

"Electronics design firm in Sydney looking for a talented electronics
engineer with industry experience in embedded microcontroller
development.

Electronics Engineer

# Developing embedded systems
# PicMicro Motorola Atmel
# $35,000 starting salary

Great potential to grow with our business.

Must be proficient in PicMicro, Motorola, and Atmel MCU's.
Languages: Assembly & C++

Industry experience an advantage."

http://it.seek.com.au/users/apply/index.ascx?Sequence53%&PageNumber=1&ChannelID=4&SiteID=1&JobId53%73941&Keywords =

They might get a 16yo hobbyist with PIC Led Flasher experience at that
price.

Dave :)

Re: Is the "Skills Shortage" real ?

Electronics

Yes, but NOT in EE. An electrician can now earn more than an engineer in
many cases, and have a much larger choice of jobs.

wages

All three.

MrT.

Re: Is the "Skills Shortage" real ?

for

That's precisely the reason they want to import skilled labour. Nobody
wanted to train locals. All the government departments that did it once upon
a time are now privatised. Very few private companies ever bothered.

However if they are prepared to pay $millions per year for CEO's when there
is no real shortage (or even skills for that matter), paying much less than
a tenth of that for real skills, actually in short supply should not be a
problem, should it?

MrT.

Re: Is the "Skills Shortage" real ?

..snippples...

At last, {:-) someone else who is singing my tune.

Site Timeline