Is the "Skills Shortage" real ?

I'm becoming increasingly frustrated to hear of this alleged "Skills
Shortage" in the media.
Even the ABC keeps banging on about it...

I for one am finding it harder and harder to find useful work in Electronics

What do others think ? Is there a genuine skills shortage
(especially in Electronics Engineering)
or is it a cynical exercise by the Government and the Media to contain wages
and/or import cheap labour ?

Thanks ........... Sparky

Re: Is the "Skills Shortage" real ?

I've found that a lot of good electroncis guys are moving out of
electronics design because there is a "jobs shortage"!

The media will crap on about anything and run with it, that's what they
do.

Dave :)

Re: Is the "Skills Shortage" real ?

"Sparky"

** There is no "skills shortage " in electronic design in Australia.

    Cos there is SFA design being done here.

**  For "skills " read  "specific, commercially valuable skills".

Such skills usually cannot be obtained by someone living in Australia since
they relate to hands on experience with specific technology that we simply
do not have here.

**  That too.

WA has imported Philippino motor mechanics that work cheaply and in poor
conditions.

...........    Phil

Re: Is the "Skills Shortage" real ?

The companies who can't hire fitter and turners for any money, are the
same companies who lobby the government to "Do something about it".
These companies haven't hired apprentices for years and import Chinese
workers in some cases.

Re: Is the "Skills Shortage" real ?

<snip>

Ahh, try to get an apprentice. No kid wants to work for apprentice
wages these days, and if they do, they dont want to do the shit work
we all went through as apprentices.

The last company I worked for went through about 4 apprentices before
hiring an unskilled labourer and training him up. At leat the labourer
was willing to learn.

Re: Is the "Skills Shortage" real ?

A guy I know was given weeding work as an apprentice in a shipyard in
the 1970's.

When the apprenticeship board found out what he'd been doing for 18
months they came very close to banning that shipyard from ever having
apprentices ever again. After that, the apprentice was given extra
training to make up for the "Shit work".

Re: Is the "Skills Shortage" real ?

Funny. When I went to the apprenticeship board with a similar claim,
the stuck up for the company. I guess spending the first 2 years of
you apprenticship cleaning second hand cables and cleaning circuit
boards is training is it? Dont assume you know everything, when I
trained apprentices I made sure they learned. However, if I have to
get into a shit pit at a chicken farm to fix a PLC, then I expect them
to do it too. These days they wont do that.

Re: Is the "Skills Shortage" real ?

My old man was able to transfer his mechanics apprenticeship in WW2
after two years of cleaning coal gas converters on the back of cars
and always getting the job of adjusting brake shoes on the council
shitcarts. Once or twice is ok but two years is enough.

    I have had jobs where I have had to climb inside sewerage
pumps to steam clean them before making a repair: I only jacked up
as my boss wanted me to do this without hep A and B shots like the
council workers had. Don't assume you know everything.

Re: Is the "Skills Shortage" real ?

You made the first assumption!

Shall we turn this into a "who has done the worst job" competition!?!?

I have done the sewerage plant jobs too, but I did them on secondary
treatment only plants in remote areas, that got nasty at times. Mind
you, thats what you get when you decide to become an instrument
fitter. I have a couple of plumber mates who think it is funny when
they bust a shit pipe and get covered in crap and tampons...Sigh, i
guess the work could be worse.

Out of all the worst jobs i have done I would have to rate doing work
at a Geletin factory in the Raw beef processing end the worst. That
plase stunk like you wouldn't beleive. Like you with the hep shots, I
kicked up a stink because I had no Q-Fever vaccinations.

Pig feed lots are bad too, but thats another story.

Its all relative I guess. I am just glad I am out of the trade game
now.

Re: Is the "Skills Shortage" real ?

Which one was that?: that apprentice board inspectors take exception
to to non stop shit jobs?.

I once was working about halfway between Cloncurry and Mt Isa and was
watching a plumber in a trench laying sewage pipe, when some idiot took
a dump and flushed it: the plumber did an army roll out of the way and
leapt out of the trench faster than any middle aged tradesman I've ever
seen just as the turds shot out of the open end of the pipe. Everyone
was told beforehand to use the bush instead but there's always an
some clown who thinks they are an exception.

Re: Is the "Skills Shortage" real ?

"Mark Harriss"

**  ROTFL  .......

I have heard plumbers being referred to as " turd burglars "    -    but
never " turd dodgers "  before  !!!

..........   Phil

Re: Is the "Skills Shortage" real ?

Umm, i think you need to rethink that. I'd tell them not to do it either
if there was any likely danger to their health. One thing I have learnt
is that there are very few companies/bosses that really look after you.
they will put you in danger so they can make their money, then flip you
off if you are injured in any way.

Re: Is the "Skills Shortage" real ?

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 21:46:58 +1000, "Phil Allison"

I am surprised to hear that from you.

Pot calling the kettle black?

Well, i never had to provide them with sexual gratification.

So you are saying that the apprentice should only be trained to do the
good clean work and the tradesman should only do the crap work?

Re: Is the "Skills Shortage" real ?

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 22:16:01 +1000, "Phil Allison"

Deleted irrelevent drivel. TRy to answer my question Phil:

So you are saying that the apprentice should only be trained to do the
good clean work and the tradesman should only do the crap work?

Re: Is the "Skills Shortage" real ?

"The Real Andy" <will_get_back_to_you_on_This> wrote in

fact.
apprentice?

Sorry to but in Andy *BUT* you must be qualified to train
apprentices.  Phil has *NO* qualifications and as such is
not allowed to have an apprentice.  Being a Uni drop-out is
not a skill level to pass onto any young person.

Regards TT

Re: Is the "Skills Shortage" real ?

*Note amendments to text*

business person from Bunbury WA
with the spanner ?
suffering, lonely old fool formally from Lackey St, Summer
Hill.
Kindest regards TT

PS thanks for all the free plugs :-)

Re: Is the "Skills Shortage" real ?

Well, would you waste your time working for shit money, when you can get
more money easier doing something cleaner.

I think a major problem is that most old farts thing in terms of the old
  times where having a trade gave you skills for life, ...

But young people have had nine years of computing by the time they have
done their HSC[1] and that tells them that everything is changing so
fast, that spending four years learning a trade is just a waste.

[1] I know someone is going to say apprentices, etc don't do HSC, but
that is little Johnny's plant to fix the skills shortage; leave high
school with HSC and a pile of certificates.

My local garage tells the same story about apprentices, but then they
dropped the clanger "Next time we are going to ask some questions before
they start and make them do a trial period". LOL.

Re: Is the "Skills Shortage" real ?

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 00:33:55 +1000, Terry Collins

Thats the problem I used to face. I agree with you 100%.

Re: Is the "Skills Shortage" real ?

I don't see much of a skills shortage in electronics/firmware. You have
to pay to get good ones, but wasn't that always the case? With a
declining manufacturing economy and also less electronics
graduates/trainees there may well be apparent shortages and gluts from
time to time, but it is a declining total too.

I wonder if companies who are looking for people and can't get ones to
fit in with their budgets, just decide to do without engineers and techs
and try to find other solutions such as design contactors, off the shelf
systems etc?

Re: Is the "Skills Shortage" real ?

Don't forget the autmatic pass , after five or seven years if a student has
completed 75%
of the course.

Happened to one guy I went through tafe with.

Don't know if it still works like that.

At least tafe students get taught soldering, not all uni students (Elect ,
cse ,tele etc) do.

Alex

Site Timeline