Is the Raspberry Pi real at that price? - Page 5

Re: Is the Raspberry Pi real at that price?

I expect that 90+% of the source code between the two is identical.

Microsoft has explicitly stated that they're making no provision for
running x86 code via emulation (or whatever) on ARM -- all x86 Windows
programs are going to have to be re-compiled, at the least, to run on it.

Re: Is the Raspberry Pi real at that price?

Isn't that what dot net is for?

Re: Is the Raspberry Pi real at that price?

It could be, although I wouldn't bet any money that Win8-ARM will be
able to take a program in IDL format, compile it, and run it; I'd wager
you'll have to go back to the original source file in C# or VB.net or
whatever and generate a new IDL.

In fact, I seem to recall that they won't be supporting the old Win32
API on the ARM implementation at all -- only the new "Metro" API.  But I
could be wrong about that...

---Joel

Re: Is the Raspberry Pi real at that price?
|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk says...

Yes and it may succeed in part...

Which UK syllabus are you on about?

I help my partner who TEACHES the syllabus for ICT and computing to
11 - 18  year olds for ICT and Computing.

The syllabus for ICT includes many other aspects from animation and
image manipulation to differences between serial and parallel busses,
from 11 to 14 they often use Scratch to learn logic fundamentals and
other aspects.

Many inexperienced teachers may follow the MS Office route as they know
no different or it is foisted on them by management or IT services or
Education Authority. Know of some schools that insist on OpenOffice
so kids can use it on home sysems as well for minimal cost.

When it comes to computing at A level (17-18 year olds), I know in one
school they actually spend a year with command line and GUi python, then
do PHP, SQL databases and many other aspects. Even learn about logic
gates, hamming codes, A/D, D/A and Nyquist.

Media Studies is often taken by the masses of kids in days gone by would
not even consider doing A levels but now do. For them it is an
ACHEIVABLE subject where as ICT and Computing is not, let alone Maths or
sciences.

There are not so many shit shovelling jobs about these days, so they
have to get qualifications. Won't be long before you need a degree to
considered competent to use a shovel.