Is the Raspberry Pi real at that price?

http://www.raspberrypi.org /
http://twitter.com /#!/raspberry_pi

I can't help but think when you sell 10K pieces of an item at bargain basement
prices, (and in a single day), and in
advance of having the products, that there may be something very wrong.

They have entered into licensed manufacture partnerships with two British
companies, Premier Farnell and RS Components.
That means there has to be a dealer margin. If you can retail it at $25, then
how much did it cost wholesale?

I may be barking up the wrong tree, but am I one of the few sensing something
may be very wrong with this deal?

Have a look at what Tsvetan from Olimex said in a forum thread about it here:
http://www.thebackshed.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID47%48&PN=1

Anyone have insider information that what I am saying is completely off the mark?
Comments?

Of course, If I am off the mark, this will be more free advertising for them. :-)

Cheers Don...

========================

--
Don McKenzie

Dontronics: http://www.dontronics-shop.com /

Re: Is the Raspberry Pi real at that price?

The current version is $35,-. The $25,- version has been announced however.

petrus bitbyter

Re: Is the Raspberry Pi real at that price?

I see it as a cunning plan to wipe out M/soft and all those ancient PCs...

Re: Is the Raspberry Pi real at that price?

It certainly attacks some monopolistic behavior of both processor en
software giants. As it will not do Windows, it may even become a nail in the
MS-coffin. But the design is too light for serious processing power. I
merely expect it to become a component more or less like the microprocessor
started.

petrus bitbyter

Re: Is the Raspberry Pi real at that price?

I kinda doubt it -- Microsoft Windows 8 will run on ARM.  Maybe not the
particular one on the Raspberry Pi, but certainly on plenty of other
inexpensive, similar chips.

Right -- by the time you turn it into a "real PC" (display, hard drive,
keyboard, touchpad, battery, case) and add some profit margins, I think
you're largely back to at least the $250-$350 "cheap laptop" that are
already quite common.

The cool thing about the Raspberry Pi is that it's quite hackable and
that it can be cheap by virtue of the fact that most everyone already
has a spare keyboard/mouse sitting around, can use some LCD they already
have, etc.

---Joel

Re: Is the Raspberry Pi real at that price?

Now you get it!  The LCD as you call it is your TV, and who doesn't
have a keyboard and mouse left over from their Pentium days... opps,
they still market the Pentium in the low end machines.  As to the hard
drive, I've got three of them in my pocket and keep a 16GB one in my
computer bag.  I saw a 32GB one advertised for $27!  I don't remember
if the rPi will take a full size SD or if you need a micro.

Rick

Re: Is the Raspberry Pi real at that price?
On Fri, 02 Mar 2012 12:44:21 -0800, Joel Koltner

 Show me where your "cheap laptop" (or any laptop practically) has gpio
header or a readily available jtag header.

Re: Is the Raspberry Pi real at that price?

That's why I said the "cool thing about hte Raspberry Pi is that it's
quite hackable."

On a standard laptop, though, it's no problem to find cheap
USB-connected GPIO cards if you like.

Debugging tools on a PC are good enough that you don't really need a
JTAG connector -- even for Kernel debugging, you just use a second PC
connected via an Ethernet or serial port link.

---Joel

Re: Is the Raspberry Pi real at that price?

As I understand it, the primary intent is to get inexpensive,
programmable devices into the hands of lots of kids, as a learning
tool and as an "enabling technology".  So, yeah, it and simiar devices
are probably being viewed as components and building blocks for all
sorts of products, rather than as direct PC replacements.

--
Friends of Jade Warrior home page:  http://www.radagast.org/jade-warrior
Re: Is the Raspberry Pi real at that price?

How much do you image the real manufacturing cost of, say, an Android
smartphone is ?

geoff

Re: Is the Raspberry Pi real at that price?

I would imagine it could be in the range of 5% to 20% of the retail price, but
it must reach the wholesaler at a price
he can make a living out of it, otherwise he wouldn't be in business.

Cheers Don...

=========================

--
Don McKenzie

Dontronics: http://www.dontronics-shop.com /

Re: Is the Raspberry Pi real at that price?

Actually, even Apple isn't able to command that sort of markup with iPhones!

Here's an article that'll give you some more concrete numbers:
http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2010/03/02/what-doth-it-profit-an-iphone .
As you'll see, most phones cost some 60-70% of their selling price.

The margins in consumer electronics are very thin; it works because
there is so much volume.  There aren't that many wholesalers left anyway
-- at least in terms of volume, I think it's safe to say the vast
majority of electronics goes straight from the manufacturer to a
retailer; Wal*Mart and Best Buy aren't getting their phones from a
middleman, although some small mom & pop shop likely are.

(Indeed... you sometimes hear small businessmen complain that their
costs for products from their wholesalers are more than the retail price
from Wal*Mart or Costco...)

---Joel

Re: Is the Raspberry Pi real at that price?

Thats not entirely true. Shops like WM,BB and similar often have high
costs and usually are not cheap. They sell a few items below cost
price to appear cheap but with other things they most certainly are
not cheap. They are convenient because they have a large stock of many
items. Stock costs money. Smaller shops are cheaper in most cases if
they have what you need.

But then again, online shops are the future. Nowadays I even order
home improvement stuff online.

That's not a 'small business man' that's someone who shouldn't be in
business in the first place.

Re: Is the Raspberry Pi real at that price?
RS Australia has it listed at $50, which is probably about what you'd
have to pay to get a $35 item from the UK including shipping.

I will certainly get one as soon as I can, I'd like to see whether it
can run apache as a home web server and home automation machine.

A full Linux machine for $50 is disruptive technology, if it does
perform as the hype suggests, I see a lot of uses for it, and probably a
flood of imitators.

The PIC and Arduino boards  certainly have their uses, but horse for
courses.

Re: Is the Raspberry Pi real at that price?
3D%3D

Really, disruptive technology?  Is this really much less than the cost
of a smart cell phone which has a user interface and also makes phone
calls!

Rick

Re: Is the Raspberry Pi real at that price?

  You cannot physically turn things on and off with that (the phone). All
you can do is control the devices which can (these devices).

  His can switch relays on and off.  The damned things do need a net
connection though.

  So, look at say the ten times overpriced "industry" that was made by a
few for billiard halls to turn the lights on and off,and log play times.

  Each "receiver/switch" was very expensive and each table needs one.
The software was expensive as well.

 This would allow one to control any number of tables for a little over
$40 each.  And you could author and perfect your own time logging
application.  You could even put dimmers in and control the light level.

  I could sell this, if pool had more popularity.  Sadly, operating costs
have grown so much that the per hour rate for pool has gotten ridiculous.
They even charge per person now in some places instead of per table.

  How truly sad.  Bastards actually want to make money.  It should be
popular though.

 Dumb folks everywhere would rather give a bar money for liquor though.

  Billiards should be more popular.

Re: Is the Raspberry Pi real at that price?

I was discussing with someone that the Pi could be used as a musical
instrument: add an inexpensive USB audio/MIDI interface plus some
software, hook up a MIDI controller keyboard, and you have a hardware
sampler/synthesizer that can stream mega or gigabyte sound "patches" off
the memory card.  It could probably run the stage lighting if it's DMX
equipped.  And you're not out a grand if someone spills their beer on
it, unlike a laptop.

Re: Is the Raspberry Pi real at that price?

  Conformal coat it.  After you hook everything up to it.  :-)

Re: Is the Raspberry Pi real at that price?

Yes, and if you had an onion it would make my stone soup taste a lot
better too!

You are ignoring that you still need to connect the rPi to a display
of some sort, usually about the same cost as a laptop (where did you
get the grand price?) and keyboard and mouse.  The difference is the
laptop will actually do the job without screwing with how to connect
it all up without being a tangle of wires all over.

Rick

Re: Is the Raspberry Pi real at that price?

I believe the suggested idea was to use the Pi as an embedded DSP board for
sound generation. Have it boot directly into the synth software, control it
over MIDI (serial or USB) and you don't need any other input nor an attached
display.

-a

Site Timeline