Is 260-262V mains voltage safe for modern electronics?

Just as per subject heading...

Trying to ascertain whether a friend's mains voltage is the reason
they have lost a few electrical items lately - mainly amplifiers and
computer PSUs. Their mains voltage is as in the subject heading... TIA
for any advice.

Re: Is 260-262V mains voltage safe for modern electronics?

It's within limits for some Australian states, just. It doesn't seem
probable that your friend would have multiple devices that were running
so close to their ultimate limits.

If the mains supply is implicated at all, it seems more likely that the
gear was damaged by voltage spikes. Installing surge arrestors would be
a good start.

Sylvia.

Re: Is 260-262V mains voltage safe for modern electronics?
On Fri, 10 Jan 2014 14:01:02 +1100, Sylvia Else

Thanks Sylvia. To elaborate, this is in Tasmania and my mate recently
had a solar/grid installation. The 'electrical inspector' came out and
took measurements - he reckons the solar array is adding 1 to 2v above
the 'normal' 240v and the rest is coming from the grid itself.

Re: Is 260-262V mains voltage safe for modern electronics?

Limits in Tas are 207-253v
www.ewh.ieee.org/r10/nsw/subpages/history/Australian-AC-Line-Voltages.pdf

Re: Is 260-262V mains voltage safe for modern electronics?

So, for Tassie, his voltages are bit high. I still don't see it causing
widespread damage to his electronic gear.

Sylvia.

Re: Is 260-262V mains voltage safe for modern electronics?

I've got some devices here that state an input voltage of 220-230V, so
even at 250V these are quite a bit over their rated spec. That's
shouldn't matter because they should be engineered to have tolerance
well beyond that.

I would be looking at voltage variations over time and if there are
surges jumping from ~240VAC to ~260VAC which may be what is taking out
equipment.

Out of curiousity, do you know specifically how/what is failing
specifically?

Re: Is 260-262V mains voltage safe for modern electronics?

260 V is well above the maximum allowable voltage. I am not sure which
electrical inspector you are talking about but Aurora would take a
very dim view of that situation. It is possible that a locally
installed solar inverter would cause the voltage to be a touch higher
inside the house but still be within spec at the connection point. Not
260 V though. Either the distribution transformer needs to be tapped
down or somebody with solar has cranked up the maximum voltage cutoff
higher than they are supposed to. Either way Aurora should take
action.

And yes you will see more electronics failures at that kind of
voltage. Components are stressed more than usual. I'm not sure how it
applies to the new halogens but incandescents always had shorter
lifetimes at higher voltages.

--
snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lonestar.org

Re: Is 260-262V mains voltage safe for modern electronics?

If my experience is anything to go by, the high voltage is definitely
contributing to equipment failure.

When WA dropped from 250V (nominal) to 240V (Nominal), the failure
rates of the computer gear we supported dropped dramatically. This was
all DEC or Honeywell gear, so of reasonable quality.

I would definitely follow Phil's suggestion.

Dave Goldfinch

Site Timeline