Iron Timer

The wife left the iron on again this morning .. so I decided to do something technical about it.

The local Middy's have two switches that can help, one pnumatic and one digital. The pnumatic one is cheaper at about $40, but I hate them and they have a massive backorder list already. The digital one costs over $130 which is just plain ridiculous.

So I turn to this newgroup.

Is anyone aware of a commercially available timed switch that I can use that doesn't cost a fortune? (heh, just thought .. maybe I should mount a PIR under the ironing board!)

Second option would be a kit that I can purchase off-the-shelf and build.

Third, and thus least popular option would be a simple circuit (I guess using a 555 timer, some sort of resistor (or even variable) and a 250v relay ..)

Any thoughts and ideas, greatly appreciated.

Cheers! Rick

Reply to
rickm

Fourth option. Get your wife an iron with an integrated "auto off" timer. Many irons have this feature. We've got a Sunbeam Ultura 5900 Resilium which has saved my bacon more than once.

Reply to
dmm

We bought an iron that turns itself off if left unused for 5-10mins. Also turns itself off if left flat for >30sec.

Sunbeam I think - approx $90.

Well worth the money, and it's a good iron too. Enjoy a beer with the time you've gained!

-Andrew M

PS if you _really_ want to make something, why not use a silicon accelerometer to detect the orientation/movement of the iron, and turn off when appropriate with a little micro such as a PIC10F204 + triac .... those accelerometers can easily sense inclination/angle and low G movements. See

The whole lot should be do-able for

Reply to
Andrew M

to turn it off when noone's near? the PIR won't detect an abandoned iron, they move way too slow.

there'sd a bunch of them out there (flexitimer being one that's available from many sources) but you may need to fit a bigger relay to switch the iron.

the flexitimer kit is little more than that (photo looks like a 555 and a ripplecounter) if you use a socketed relay that helps keep the mains voltages away from your circuit...

HMM, the circuit I salvaged from an old pop-up toaster ran fromd 12VAC (orriginally provided by a resistive divider) and the electromagnet it switched could be substituted for a relay,

--

Bye.
   Jasen

Good idea, but it needn't be under the ironing board and should work for a "controlled power point" for any purpose. I assume the cheap and readily available units intended to control lights would not be able to handle the current required for an iron. Is there an inexpensive way of boosting the current to five or ten amps?

Reply to
David Segall

The best option is FREE. Leave the toilet seat up until she learns to turn the iron off.

Reply to
two bob

Get your wife to turn it off when not using it?

:D

Reply to
Simon Scott

Lucky you, my wife wont use the iron, so its always me that leaves it on.

4th option, buy one of those irons with the inbuilt timer. They are reasonable quality and you will never forget to use a timer, cause its built in.
Reply to
The Real Andy

I think you can buy them for less than $10 at BigW

David

snipped-for-privacy@isite.net.au wrote:

Reply to
quietguy

"quietguy" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@REMOVE-TO-REPLYconfidential-counselling.com...

Wives?

Alf

Reply to
Alf Katz

There is a big button light switch designed for external paths, etc. Push the button and you have power for a certain time. Just mount as end of extension cord. choose one that gioves 15 mins (if they exist)

We've got one of those. Don't move it for a certain periond and it turns off. Well one afternoon I walk buy and felt heat. Yep, the iron had been on all day. So much for that.

Reply to
Terry Collins

I thought they were stacked six high at the dump shop.

Reply to
Mark Harriss

They're called 'countdown timers'. Set it to X minutes and it will turn off automatically.

DSE used to sell them. Try Big W etc as the OP suggested.

Reply to
Peter Parker

Na. Wives go for $12.50 down, and all you earn for the rest of your life :-)

David

Alf Katz wrote:

Reply to
quietguy