Iron Timer

The wife left the iron on again this morning .. so I decided to do
something technical about it.

The local Middy's have two switches that can help, one pnumatic and one
digital. The pnumatic one is cheaper at about $40, but I hate them and
they have a massive backorder list already. The digital one costs over
$130 which is just plain ridiculous.

So I turn to this newgroup.

Is anyone aware of a commercially available timed switch that I can use
that doesn't cost a fortune? (heh, just thought .. maybe I should mount
a PIR under the ironing board!)

Second option would be a kit that I can purchase off-the-shelf and
build.

Third, and thus least popular option would be a simple circuit (I guess
using a 555 timer, some sort of resistor (or even variable) and a 250v
relay ..)

Any thoughts and ideas, greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
Rick

Re: Iron Timer

Fourth option.
Get your wife an iron with an integrated "auto off" timer. Many irons have
this feature. We've got a Sunbeam Ultura 5900 Resilium which has
saved my bacon more than once.

Re: Iron Timer

We bought an iron that turns itself off if left unused for 5-10mins. Also turns
itself
off if left flat for >30sec.

Sunbeam I think - approx $90.

Well worth the money, and it's a good iron too. Enjoy a beer with the time
you've
gained!

-Andrew M

PS if you _really_ want to make something, why not use a silicon accelerometer
detect the orientation/movement of the iron, and turn off when appropriate with
little micro such as a PIC10F204 + triac .... those accelerometers can easily
sense
inclination/angle and low G movements. See www.freescale.com.

The whole lot should be do-able for <$15 and a lot of fun. Hey you could log the
time
your better half spends ironing for the next discussion you have about it :-).

Re: Iron Timer

to turn it off when noone's near? the PIR won't detect an abandoned iron,
they move way too slow.

there'sd a bunch of them out there (flexitimer being one that's available
from many sources) but you may need to fit a bigger relay to switch the iron.

the flexitimer kit is little more than that (photo looks like a 555 and a
ripplecounter)
if you use a socketed relay that helps keep the mains voltages away from
your circuit...

HMM, the circuit I salvaged from an old pop-up toaster ran fromd 12VAC
(orriginally provided by a resistive divider) and the electromagnet it
switched could be substituted for a relay,

--

Bye.
   Jasen

Re: Iron Timer

Good idea, but it needn't be under the ironing board and should work
for a "controlled power point" for any purpose. I assume the cheap and
readily available units intended to control lights would not be able
to handle the current required for an iron. Is there an inexpensive
way of boosting the current to five or ten amps?

Re: Iron Timer

The best option is FREE. Leave the toilet seat up until she learns to turn
the iron off.

Re: Iron Timer

Get your wife to turn it off when not using it?

:D

Re: Iron Timer

Lucky you, my wife wont use the iron, so its always me that leaves it
on.

4th option, buy one of those irons with the inbuilt timer. They are
reasonable quality and you will never forget to use a timer, cause its
built in.

Re: Iron Timer

There is a big button light switch designed for external paths, etc.
Push the button and you have power for a certain time. Just mount as end
of extension cord. choose one that gioves 15 mins (if they exist)

We've got one of those. Don't move it for a certain periond and it turns
off. Well one afternoon I walk buy and felt heat. Yep, the iron had been
on all day. So much for that.

Re: Iron Timer

I think you can buy them for less than $10 at BigW

David

Re: Iron Timer

message

Wives?

Alf

Re: Iron Timer

I thought they were stacked six high at the dump shop.

Re: Iron Timer

Na.  Wives go for $12.50 down, and all you earn for the rest of your life :-)

David

Re: Iron Timer

message

They're called 'countdown timers'.  Set it to X minutes and it will turn off
automatically.

DSE used to sell them.  Try Big W etc as the OP suggested.

Site Timeline