IR receiver window

Looking for a source of supply for a small dark red sensor cover for an IR receiver similar to that used on a lot of commercial equipment. The IR module is mounted behind an aluminium panel with a 5mm round hole drilled through it to allow the IR signals to pass through it. What I need is a suitable small "window" or sensor cover to provide a finished look to the product. The hole can be made larger to accommodate a bigger cover if necessary. Anyone sells these?

Thanks, Alan

Reply to
Alan Rutlidge

Pickup an old VCR, DVD, CD, TV from the roadside and remove it from there?

Reply to
Swanny

I's be inclined to check the various 3mm sheet plastics in red and smoked colours. May be worth evaluating them with a ccd camera and IR illumination in a dark room to see how transparent they are.

Reply to
Mark Harriss

If worst comes to worst (and I'm guessing you're not going to find something like that as a spare part), acrylic.

Any colour at all, while it's opaque to visible light, it's transparent to IR.

--
Linux Registered User # 302622
Reply to

On Tue, 12 May 2009 08:47:37 +0800, "Alan Rutlidge"

Reply to
Ross Herbert

just buy a couple of small cctv replacement domes , one of those will make hundreds of windows for a couple of bucks

Reply to
atec 7 7

Tooling costs wouldn't make it cheaper than a large sheet of acrylic cut into little rectangular squares. Circles would cost more, but you need to evaluate the tooling on the box too. Rectangular holes in a box are more costly than a simple hole. Need to get the calculator out and do some adding here.

It really doesn't need to (and shouldn't) be fancy. Heck, the trend on remotes is to mould a hole into the plastics and simply poke the IR led out directly.

At the receiving side, the fancy window is integrated into the display panel, so you don't need a separate window for the IR receiver, and double up on the use of the translucent window for the display that needs to be there anyway.

You're hands would be tied if the case is complete except for the IR hole, but that would more than likely show bad engineering behind it. (and a distinct lack of forethought).

--
Linux Registered User # 302622
Reply to
John Tserkezis

Try these guys:

Dave.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
David L. Jones

If you are happy to cut yourself, Jaycar have red perspex - HM9505 $9/sheet from Electus.

Dave.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
David L. Jones

Thanks Dave,

Quite a good alternative to a commercially made window and I can cut a heap of them from a sheet that size.

Cheers, Alan

Reply to
Alan Rutlidge