IR receiver window

Looking for a source of supply for a small dark red sensor cover for an IR
receiver similar to that used on a lot of commercial equipment.
The IR module is mounted behind an aluminium panel with a 5mm round hole
drilled through it to allow the IR signals to pass through it.
What I need is a suitable small "window" or sensor cover to provide a
finished look to the product.  The hole can be made larger to accommodate a
bigger cover if necessary.
Anyone sells these?

Thanks,
Alan

Re: IR receiver window

Pickup an old VCR, DVD, CD, TV from the roadside and remove it from there?

Re: IR receiver window

I's be inclined to check the various 3mm sheet plastics in red and
smoked colours. May be worth evaluating them with a ccd camera
and IR illumination in a dark room to see how transparent they are.

Re: IR receiver window

  If worst comes to worst (and I'm guessing you're not going to find something
like that as a spare part), acrylic.

  Any colour at all, while it's opaque to visible light, it's transparent to IR.
--
Linux Registered User # 302622
<http://counter.li.org

Re: IR receiver window
just buy a couple of small cctv replacement domes , one of those will
make hundreds of windows for a couple of bucks

Re: IR receiver window

  Tooling costs wouldn't make it cheaper than a large sheet of acrylic cut
into little rectangular squares.  Circles would cost more, but you need to
evaluate the tooling on the box too.  Rectangular holes in a box are more
costly than a simple hole.  Need to get the calculator out and do some adding
here.

  It really doesn't need to (and shouldn't) be fancy.  Heck, the trend on
remotes is to mould a hole into the plastics and simply poke the IR led out
directly.

  At the receiving side, the fancy window is integrated into the display
panel, so you don't need a separate window for the IR receiver, and double up
on the use of the translucent window for the display that needs to be there
anyway.

  You're hands would be tied if the case is complete except for the IR hole,
but that would more than likely show bad engineering behind it. (and a
distinct lack of forethought).
--
Linux Registered User # 302622
<http://counter.li.org

Re: IR receiver window
On Tue, 12 May 2009 08:47:37 +0800, "Alan Rutlidge"

:Looking for a source of supply for a small dark red sensor cover for an IR
:receiver similar to that used on a lot of commercial equipment.
:The IR module is mounted behind an aluminium panel with a 5mm round hole
:drilled through it to allow the IR signals to pass through it.
:What I need is a suitable small "window" or sensor cover to provide a
:finished look to the product.  The hole can be made larger to accommodate a
:bigger cover if necessary.
:Anyone sells these?
:
:Thanks,
:Alan
:

I have a bundle of red acrylic strips 74mm x 7mm x 0.254mm originally intended
for led window if you can find a way of mounting.

Re: IR receiver window

Try these guys:
http://www.cuttosize.com.au/home.html

Dave.

Re: IR receiver window

If you are happy to cut yourself, Jaycar have red perspex - HM9505
$9/sheet from Electus.

Dave.

Re: IR receiver window

Thanks Dave,

Quite a good alternative to a commercially made window and I can cut a heap
of them from a sheet that size.

Cheers,
Alan