IR movement detector

Hi guys,

I am looking for an IR LED movement detector that is able to detect up to 5
metres, where the IR signal can reflect off a human body and bounce back
into an IR LED receiver on the same circuit board and then triggers.

Don't want magnifying lenses or reflectors of any sort.  Need suggestions.

Thanks.

Jason.

Re: IR movement detector

Might be a little difficult to do.

IR detectors work on a loop system, thus the need for a reflector.

The transmitted beam is sent out to be reflected by the "reflector" and
received back at the transmitter. If this "Loop" is broken the circuit
changes state and activates whatever you need.

You maybe looking for a movement sensor utilising microwave signals.
However the rest of the detection area needs to remain still.

Or another device detects changes in volume of air from a single point.
These maybe available from J@yC@r, and sense a start volume of air in
the immediate area, and any large changes of air volume trigger the device.
Useful for car alarms as an extra device to detect such things as broken
windows letting more or less air into the car, or if the door switch
have been bypassed and entry is gained to the car, then "Volumator"
detects changes, with the 80 -90 Kgs of mass that just entered the car.

Re: IR movement detector

found courage and express out opinion in

An optical mouse is a motion detector.  It is very small and would
work with reflected light source.  I don't know if it would work
with IR though.

Par.

Re: IR movement detector

Y'know, I've never had luck getting my optical mouse to work when pointing
it at a wall 5 metres away.
-mark

Re: IR movement detector

"Mark H" <nukeleerATinternodeDOTonDOTnetREMOVECAPSAU> while
reading the NewsGroups,  found courage and express out opinion in

BUgger your foolish comment.

If you have half a clue, you would know that an optical mouse is
actually a small video camera of very small pixel count.  It
detects the changes in light level and movement of the changes.

You would have to change the lens though. The one that came with
the mouse is focusing at 1 - 2 mm away (thats why you dont have
luck with walls 5 meters away)  try the lens from an old disposable
camera to focus at the mouse's ccd.

(see Phil Allison's post of the same principal... This is strange,
I am agreeing with Phil...)

Par.

Re: IR movement detector

"Jason S"

**  Normal IR movement detectors do not work like that at all.

  Please explain the application and principle of operation you envisage.

.............   Phil

Re: IR movement detector

Ok, haha, maybe I'm asking too much.  But this is the situation:

I want to hide a motion detector of some sort that could "see" between a
small gap... probably around 10mm wide.  I want something small enough to
"spy" a little through the gap.  That's why I was thinking ultrasonic
detectors (which didn't work as well as I expected), or IR LED system.  But
if I need a reflector, then its useless.
You see, I don't want this detection system to be seen (as it would give
away a little secret of mine, haha).  By the way, I just realised it doesn't
need to be 5 metres.  Even 2 metres would be enough in my situation.

An invisible but narrow beam is what I probably need. I found that
ultrasonics don't trigger as easily through a gap.

Thanks.

Re: IR movement detector

"Jason S"

 **  Obviously a mail box slot.

**   A video camera will do that.

**  A video camera and a circuit monitoring the output signal to detect a
*sudden* change in the light level or scene.

..............    Phil

Re: IR movement detector

No, I just want it to trigger a circuit to alert me someone is there. I dont
want to use a camera of any sort. There is no need.  But I don't want this
movement detector to be seen.  Actually, this would be hidden in the gap
between an open door and its frame!

Re: IR movement detector

"Jason S"
"Phil Allison"

**  Just what the camera will do -  trigger an alarm when the video signal
undergoes a sudden change due to someone standing in or moving past its
normal view.

**  You have no bloody idea what is needed and there is no simpler
alternative.

**  Do you have a clue how small video cameras are ??

      Less than match box size is common.

**  Easily done with a mini camera.

.............  Phil

Re: IR movement detector

thank you.

Re: IR movement detector

Thats not really detecting movement?

How about a Sharp IR ranger?   The GP2Y3A003K0F is 400mm to 3000mm range,
detect a thresholded change of distance measured through gap as the trigger.

Don't know why you'd need 5 or even two meters if its between open door and
frame.... (Refer to other ranges of Sharp IR sensors here :
http://www.sharpmeg.com/productgroup.php?ProductGroupID55%&SubProductGroupID39 %)

Re: IR movement detector

How about a PIR sensor. The RE200B from Nippon Ceramic Co. This assumes
human body detection.
Here is more info on a kit:
http://kitsrus.com/pdf/k76.pdf

and also the raw device: