IPv4 addresses to run out in 12 months

By Iain Thomson
Jul 26, 2010 7:25 AM

According to the chief executive of the American Registry for Internet Numbers
(ARIN) the remaining IPv4 addresses available to
the industry will run out in less than a year.

Speaking to the ReadWriteWeb blog ARIN chief executive John Curran said that
less than six percent of IPv4 internet addresses
have yet to be allocated and this will only see the industry though the next 12
months.

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/220922,ipv4-addresses-to-run-out-in-12-months.aspx
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/story/2010/07/24/isps-warned-that-ipv4-addresses-will-run-out-in-under-12-months.html
http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/220887,ipv4-addresses-to-run-out-in-12-months-or-less.aspx#comments

==============================

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: IPv4 addresses to run out in 12 months

(ARIN) the remaining IPv4 addresses available to
less than six percent of IPv4 internet addresses
months.

Over reaction?

I just ran my IPv4 update script now, and after grabbing, merging
info from the RIRs, I found:
post process
  sorting
  cleanup duplicates and overlaps
    whois 57.0.0.1        -> FR
    dropped 0.391%
  insert unassigned records
    inserted 4649 records, 13.851%  <<===
done!

Been doing this database refresh for a couple years now, but I
don't keep the unassigned figure around.

The figure could be a bit loose either way because of reporting
delays, also I suspect hosting companies and ISPs would grab
blocks but take some time to fill them all with users.

There used to be quite a few overlapping allocations, now just
the one, I suspect that will be fixed when the space actually
gets assigned to end-users.

IPv6 is ready and waiting, already in use in .eu.  When ISPs
swap their users to IPv6 it should be fairly harmless :)  All
modern OS support IPv6 now.

Grant.

Re: IPv4 addresses to run out in 12 months

(ARIN) the remaining IPv4 addresses available to
less than six percent of IPv4 internet addresses
12 months.

An interesting question would be of all the allocated IPv4 addresses
how many are actually used.
As an example, several of my previous employers all had Class B
Net allocations , but had nowhere near 64000 computers or hardware
which needed that address space.
In fact one employer had less than 400 computers, but as this couldnt
be accomodated within a class C allocation, they just asked for and
got a class B.
This was back in the 1980s when class B address space was handed out
like confetti.

Re: IPv4 addresses to run out in 12 months

Numbers (ARIN) the remaining IPv4 addresses available to
less than six percent of IPv4 internet addresses
12 months.

Yes, the RIR info doesn't tell that.  Don't think they know.

Those companies should be giving back the unused space?  Probably no
incentive to, at the moment.

Just checked the uni I went to a decade ago, they still have a /16,
can't imagine a country campus for 4k students has anywhere near 65k
computers needing public IP addr.  I've had up to 9 boxes here sharing
the one public IP, five at the moment, three powered up, two in use.

Grant.

Site Timeline