Interview with Colin Mitchell from Talking Electronics

Hi All
Long time no visit.
Just letting you know that I've finally got around to uploading the
first part of my interview with Colin Mitchell from Talking
Electronics magazine fame when I met up with him at his home in Sept
last year.
He was kind enough to spend several hours talking about the history of
the magazine and various others things.
There were no set questions, it was just a chat about whatever came
up.
Several more parts to come in due course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXWRLNq8OCU

Regards
Dave.
www.eevblog.com

Re: Interview with Colin Mitchell from Talking Electronics

Good one Dave !!

Re: Interview with Colin Mitchell from Talking Electronics

Great interview!
Colin was a bit vague on AEM (Australian Electronics Monthly), though.
AEM was started by Roger Harrison and David Tilbrook as a result
of the bullshit that was going on at Federal Publishing Co. at the time.
FPC had bought ETI from ACP (Packer) and the editorial offices
were moved from Rushcutters Bay to Waterloo. FPC then bought
Electronics Australia and moved it to Waterloo. It was obvious that
some sort of merger was inevitable, so Roger and David made plans
for AEM and left ETI, taking draughtsman David Currie and some of the
old ETI contributors as well.

Colin mentioned something about a man and his son - Roger had two
sons and at least one of them (Jamye) did write for AEM.

Re: Interview with Colin Mitchell from Talking Electronics

"Yaputya"

** AFAIK -  Tilbrook parted company with Harrison and ETI prior to AEM
commencing.

I do not recall seeing Tilbrook's name in the editorial or owners credits.

The first issue of AEM was in July of 1985.

....   Phil

Re: Interview with Colin Mitchell from Talking Electronics
wow,  he was a pioneer. really enjoyed his  kits, as a teenager I did
his digital electronics course.

Shame his kits are no longer in stores - ie Jaycar...

Thanks for your effort Colin!

George

Re: Interview with Colin Mitchell from Talking Electronics
this youtube demonstrates Colins computer boards..  way cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0MKVq_SstY

Re: Interview with Colin Mitchell from Talking Electronics

commencing.

Close, but not quite the full story.

I knew Roger and David in those days, they had plans for AEM before either of
them left ETI.
Roger resigned as Editor first - his last listing as Editor was Jan. 1985.
In Feb. 1985 David was still listed as an Associate and Jim Rowe was filling in
as Editor
which he did until David Kelly was appointed Editor.
(Jim had been Managing Editor (Electronics Group) at Federal Publishing since
April 1984.)
Tilbrook used to be listed as ETI Technical Editor, his title seemed to change
to Associate
sometime in late 1983.

In AEM, Roger was listed as Editor and David was Project Engineer.
There were no 'owner credits' as such - the Publisher was Kedhorn Holdings P/L.
However the magazine was definitely started by both Roger and David and they
both put
up money to kick it off. A few years later they had a falling out and David left.

Re: Interview with Colin Mitchell from Talking Electronics

"Yaputya"

** Really ?

** Hmmmmmm...........

 Technical Editor = employee.

**  Project engineer =  employee or regular contributor.

**  Did Kedhorn belong to Donald Duck?

** Really ?

** I don't think that is correct.

 Tilbrook and Harrison had a major falling out over " plagiarism"  much
earlier.

 Then Tilbrook headed North to greener climes  .....

...   Phil

Re: Interview with Colin Mitchell from Talking Electronics

"Yaputya"

** The falling out I recall was in April or May of 1983 and coincided with
the publication of the ETI Series 5000 graphic equaliser. This project is
memorable as it was clearly published without the prototype ever being
completed or tested.

http://www.scribd.com/atukbaraza/d/63970015-Graphic-Equalizer-31-Band

The installation of 1kohm resistors in series with the supply pins of each
op-amp reduced the supply to those ICs to about +/- 4 volts -  hence they
could barely work. The unit utterly failed to meet basic specs.

It proved impossible to get Tilbrook on the phone about this to have a
correction published and nobody else at the office could even see the
problem or gave a hoot.

I note that Altronics are  STILL  selling the high power speaker protector
kit that Tilbrook designed in 1982, which also does not work.  I did speak
with him about this and got stone walled and fed a load of bullshit over the
phone - seems this was the guy's standard way of dealing with all criticism.

...   Phil

Re: Interview with Colin Mitchell from Talking Electronics

That was fantastic and its great to finally "meet" the guy behind TE.

I would say that his mags were an enormous help and inspiration at
the
time.

Re: Interview with Colin Mitchell from Talking Electronics

All 5 videos of the interview are now up:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list3D%PL7359E3DC6FF7FA43

Regards
Dave.

Site Timeline