Internet Speeds And Costs Around The World. - Page 2

Re: Internet Speeds And Costs Around The World.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2009/10/internet-speeds-and-costs-around-the-world-shown-visually/#more-362769

Which has sweet fuck all to do with my internet experience being restricted
to appease a minority group.

Re: Internet Speeds And Costs Around The World.

Minority groups and crackpots are the only ones that have rights or a
voice in this society in case you havent noticed.

Re: Internet Speeds And Costs Around The World.

Well, all you have to do is look at the collective contents of our
parliaments to tell you want the majority do. Baah, baaah, baah.....

Re: Internet Speeds And Costs Around The World.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2009/10/internet-speeds-and-costs-around-the-world-shown-visually/#more-362769
I never said it was related and you should be able to get a suitable speed
internet, and so should everyone. My comments were about your view of
non-city people. If you take domestic and export production, the "minority
that live in the middle of nowhere" that you so willingly put down
contribute far more to GDP and export income than major city people ever
could. The wealth of the whole country that gives you the luxury to have
your high speed internet is dependent on a healthy economy. The ability for
business's to operate effectively with all forms of communication doesn't
just stop at the edge of the capital cities. Those mines/farms/country
towns/people further out happen to also improve their operation by getting
an effective communications system at reasonable cost.

You remind me of a child on first finding out that honey isn't just
something that magically appears on a Coles/Woolworths shelf, it actually
comes from the work of people/animals that you put down as being a "minority
group". You need a similar waking up experience, or maybe you just need to
grow up.

PhilD

Re: Internet Speeds And Costs Around The World.

snipped-for-privacy@aussient.com.au said...
:
:>
:>> Don McKenzie wrote:
:>>>
:>>> Internet Speeds And Costs Around The World, Shown Visually:
:>>>
http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2009/10/internet-speeds-and-costs-around-the-world-shown-visually/#more-362769

:>>> Be sure to click the above image to see it in its full glory.
:>>>
:>>> Yes, Australia if 5th from the right hand end of the graph.
:>>>
:>>> Cheers Don...
:>>>
:>>>
:>>>
:>> One thing you will notice about the countries with very high speed
:>> internet - they are all small with high population. Much easier and
:>> cheaper to provide high speed broadband to a reasonable slab of the
:>> population in those circumstances. I wonder what level of access people
:>> in say rural France have though. At least in Australia, most people in
:>> major cities have access to 8MBps (although very few opt for faster than
:>> 512K), and most people in rural towns have access to 1.5MBps. Thanks to
:>> the government assistance, people on farms etc have access to 256-512kBps
:>> via satellite which is a damned site better than what they could get
:>> through phone lines. We still have some way to go, but personally I'd
:>> prefer to make 1.5MBps available to anyone who wants it, rather than
:>> having some people in some cities with 60M and regional areas / people
:>> with pair gain etc with 14-33K.
:>>
:>
:> Fuck that, why should my internet experience be limited because of the
:> tiny percentage of the populus who choose to live in the middle of
:> nowhere?
:I've never been to Perth or Hobart and only visit Adelaide roughly once a
:year. Correct me if I'm wrong, but from memory none of the Capital cities
:have Uranium/Gold/Iron/Coal etc mines in the middle of them and I believe
:that most of the food growing areas are outside the cities. That being the
:case it's hard to see what the Capital cities do other than consume our
:products, produce copious pollution and provide services to support the
:productive regions of Australia that keep people like you in a comfortable
:lifestyle.
:
:Somewhere in the world there is a village short of its idiot, please feel
:free to take up the vacancy.

Very well said Phil.

Re: Internet Speeds And Costs Around The World.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2009/10/internet-speeds-and-costs-around-the-world-shown-visually/#more-362769
I wonder how they determine that our cost for 1mbps is $1 - $5 per month.
Even if that is per each 1mbps, it seems far too low.

Regards

Re: Internet Speeds And Costs Around The World.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2009/10/internet-speeds-and-costs-around-the-world-shown-visually/#more-362769

if that is per each 1mbps, it seems far

They appear to be taking the average broadband speed available in
each country and dividing that into the lowest cost per month available.

Rather dubious on the lowest cost per month, but otherwise not too bad, although
it ignores the fact that many of ours only bother to pay for 512 or less speed
wise.

Re: Internet Speeds And Costs Around The World.

More than enough speed.

Re: Internet Speeds And Costs Around The World.

Now now we are talk Bps not Roddles per message???????

Re: Internet Speeds And Costs Around The World.

Depends on what you want to do. ABC's Iview doesnt work that well at those
speeds.

Re: Internet Speeds And Costs Around The World.

True, but I can only afford 2 hrs max of that per day anyway.

The big problem with iview is that by the time you could watch news, it
was ancient or weeks old.

Cheaper and faster just to buy a USB san/dongle for the desktop box

Re: Internet Speeds And Costs Around The World.

speeds.

Some ISPs dont count Iview in the quota.

ancient or weeks old.

It is however useful for stuff you miss on the FTA.

But that doesnt allow you to watch stuff you missed.

Re: Internet Speeds And Costs Around The World.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2009/10/internet-speeds-and-costs-around-the-world-shown-visually/#more-362769

Yeah, I'd call it more like $10-$20/mbps/month.

  . | ,. w ,   "Some people are alive only because
Re: Internet Speeds And Costs Around The World.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2009/10/internet-speeds-and-costs-around-the-world-shown-visually/#more-362769

Well, my Telstra cable gives me up to 30Mbps so no complaints there, but
then they sting me $70/month for 12GB including uploads :-(

Dave.

Re: Internet Speeds And Costs Around The World.

Erk, Exetel even. No uploads count. $40 for 12Gb downloads in peak, 56Gb
downloads in off peak and no uploads.

You can run your soho business and get a static IP if you wanted. DNS is
$50p.a. or go elsewhere.

Check http://www.broadbandchoice.com.au

Re: Internet Speeds And Costs Around The World.

Nope, been there, done that, fought for several years with endless ADSL2+
problems. Basically it doesn't work at my place, too far from the exchange
(>5km), and I'm using some bizzare pair which is routed differently to
everyone else in the street.
So I'm stuck with Telstra cable.

Dave.

Re: Internet Speeds And Costs Around The World.

Visually:http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2009/10/internet-speeds-and-costs-around-th ...
Boards:http://www.dontronics-shop.com/sparkfun-electronics.html

The graph is pretty useless as they do not cover the "download limits"
or the forced speed reduction (PC name = shaping) after a small limit
is reached. Many countries do NOT have a download limit.  This is
certainly the case in Russia, the Ukraine and US.

To compare without this important data, is not giving the full
picture.

In the days of common use of things like VOIP,  Online TV services
such as ABC I-View, You Tube and other such legitimate data intensive
services, (we could mention torrents and other file sharing if you
want)  this cannot be overlooked.

It's like saying that you can have a new top of the range Mercedes but
are limited to 100km a month at normal speed, after which you can only
do 25,  or a used Commodore that you can drive as much and as far as
you like and at the speed limit.  Unless you are the "little old lady
who only drives to church on sundays", then the commodore is the
better offer.

Re: Internet Speeds And Costs Around The World.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2009/10/internet-speeds-and-costs-around-the-world-shown-visually/#more-362769

Butt

Oz is among the Elite Highest usage of Computers per household.
Now if Howie was still driving the boat, we'd be pretty much the same
place we are now. But After Ruddy installs a super fast highway that
only the government will be able to afford, we're still going to be in
the same boat.

No matter what happens, we will always be paying too much for too
little, that much is a certainty.

Re: Internet Speeds And Costs Around The World.

Do you really think this is going to happen?

It's all just spin - to cover their piss poor ability to meet their
election promises regarding the internet.

Rob

--

Re: Internet Speeds And Costs Around The World.

I think it will happen but it won't be overnight. Projects like these take
years. Probably ten years until near completion.

There is a lot of spin but it's more to do with putting pressure on Telstra
to stop obfuscating and start cooperating. The Government and Telstra are in
negotiations about price of Telstra assets.

Site Timeline