Internet, now 20 years in Australia - Page 3

Re: Internet, now 20 years in Australia

My recollection is 1984, when I was working at La Trobe, and Computer Science got
a Pyramid. We had email and Usenet News, and comp.sources.unix was full of
source
code for cute toys, all of it public domain. And Robert Elz, Don Knuth and
Dennis Ritchie would occasionally post.

Atom Egoyan
Melbourne, Australia

Re: Internet, now 20 years in Australia

In 1980, I used to pick Robert Elz' listings of the "new" TTY driver
out of the trash can and read them, complete with his circles around
where function parameters were reversed, etc. Ahh the days when C had
no parameter type-checking. Poring over fan-form listings on 15" wide
paper was what he used to do while working late and watching the test
cricket.

Clifford Heath.

Re: Internet, now 20 years in Australia

On Thu, 2 Jul 2009 10:17:04 +0000 (UTC), Chris McDonald

I agree, the statement that "Real internet didn't start until HTML code
came along." is wrong. Long before HTTP/HTML many of us were quite happy
logging in to our unix shell accounts to regularly exchange files and data
via ftp, remotely login to computers in other continents using telnet and
send/receive emails using unix mail. And long before IM clients we were
messenging each other using the talk/write commands.

As a teenager of the 80s who grew up with modems and digital communications
and the exploration culture that it brought with it, HTML/HTTP were just
another evolution of something we had been using and watching grow for some
time.

So, Davo, while for you the "real internet" didn't start until HTML came
along for some of us it started much much earlier!!

Mike

Re: Internet, now 20 years in Australia

That is true of the "Popular" internet which started with the first
browsers, the "Real" internet even the WWW had been going long before that.

Re: Internet, now 20 years in Australia

that.

Whilst the internet, email, ftp, Archie, veronica, Usenet, etc. etc were all
going long before HTML, I think WWW was a term introduced with the advent of
the "Web" as opposed to text based internet. i.e. HTML and subsequently the
Mosaic viewer.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Wide_Web

MrT.

Re: Internet, now 20 years in Australia

The WWW or I suppose more specifically hyper linking and URLs pre-dated
Mosaic, I used both with a character based comms program called Telix
before Mosaic became available (at $5 per hour dialup)

Re: Internet, now 20 years in Australia

all
advent of
the

Yep, that's what "subsequently" usually implies.

MrT.

Re: Internet, now 20 years in Australia

Internet == inter-networking, i.e. connecting existing networks,
especially using TCP/IP. It was happening more than a decade
before "the web" was invented, and even now "the web" is *not*
"the Internet".

Clifford Heath.

Re: Internet, now 20 years in Australia

I agree that The Internet is something specific as above. Otherwise we
end up discussing whether inter-networking started with dial up modems or
tape exchanges or early OCR of hand written letters, or ......

For me the closest was the 80's and dialing up up a BBS on a CPM luggable
for Fidonet. When I finally hit an internet connected network in the
90's, the "outside" link was only 9600 baud anyway {:-), so were were
still using BBS technology to transfer files between offices.

--
Great advances in Debian Linux; post a bug report and get spam in three
days.

Re: Internet, now 20 years in Australia

Nope, thats not the internet. And it doesnt have to connect networks either,
just PCs.

Thats mangled too when that happens with lans.

now "the web" is *not* "the Internet".

Correct.

Re: Internet, now 20 years in Australia

Boards.http://www.dontronics-shop.com/sparkfun-electronics.html

Wow, you're bringing back some memories there!! I got my C64 around 83/84
and a mate and myself, along with the C64 Programmers Reference Guide
managed to adapt his home brew 300baud modem to it.. My first ever dial up
was to Chisolm Institute (long before it became Monash Uni) using my
friends account, it was a revelation. From there I found a couple of
melbourne bulletin board systems with like minded individuals and from then
on I was hooked on digital communications, local and long, especially long
distance ( some people here may know what i'm talking about)     :)
I remember bulletin board names like... Ultimate 64, Sunshine RBBS and
Melbourne Tardis RCPM, heh, i feel so old :)

mike

Re: Internet, now 20 years in Australia

Long before it became "Chisholm Institute" then.
It was "Caulfield Institute of Technology" back then.

MrT.

Re: Internet, now 20 years in Australia

Thanks for the correction.. My memory isn't what it used to be, getting old
I guess :)

mike

Re: Internet, now 20 years in Australia

I was working for Telstra when it was first launched.
Back then it was called the Information Super highway.

Site Timeline