Internet, now 20 years in Australia

Ironic considering *you* are posting on a part of the internet that existed long before the advent of the HTML based WWW. :-)

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

umm, Davo's comment, email, archie, gopher and probably other I've never used.

it was useful before

well used by nerdy geeks. HTML is really dross for the stupid; people who are basically illiterate.

Correct, there were many networking systems around. None of which had the versatility of the internet, which is partly why they all disappeared. The Internet is a bit Borgish really, if your networking system can interface to it, then your networking system can be part of the internet.

The thing about it wasn't just the physical interface, it is the "virtual" interfaces like email, usenet, etc,etc. If your networking system can interface to those, then that part of the internet can be on your network.

The other problem with proprietary networks was the "cost", you had to buy the hardware (bleed $$$$) and the software (bleed $$$$).

Not the issue. It wasn't invented, but evolved.

--
Great advances in Debian Linux; post a bug report and get spam in three
days.

Australia.

That the internet started in 1989 (rather than just the part we currently call the Web)

Me too.

Which is wrong, that's my point. And I'm sure the internet and the web will go on long after HTTP/HTML has passed into history too.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

or

before

Better than you it seems.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

No, please try to follow the conversation.

Are you really claiming it is wrong that "...many people just consider...." ? I doubt it.

My point is that this is what most people presume.

--
Chris.
Reply to

Or not, in your case.

--
Chris.
Reply to

My recollection is 1984, when I was working at La Trobe, and Computer Science got a Pyramid. We had email and Usenet News, and comp.sources.unix was full of source code for cute toys, all of it public domain. And Robert Elz, Don Knuth and Dennis Ritchie would occasionally post.

Atom Egoyan Melbourne, Australia

Reply to
Atom Egoyan

In 1980, I used to pick Robert Elz' listings of the "new" TTY driver out of the trash can and read them, complete with his circles around where function parameters were reversed, etc. Ahh the days when C had no parameter type-checking. Poring over fan-form listings on 15" wide paper was what he used to do while working late and watching the test cricket.

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Despite your snipping attempt, I'm still doing better than you though.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

period

will

Your stupid crap, or what was originally written?

consider...." ?

Please read what was written, not what you pretend is written just so you can make stupid remarks.

Maybe you do, but don't pretend to speak for everyone else.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

The WWW or I suppose more specifically hyper linking and URLs pre-dated Mosaic, I used both with a character based comms program called Telix before Mosaic became available (at $5 per hour dialup)

Reply to
keithr

Most people are ignorant of anything more complex than a light switch.

Michael A. Terrell

Keep digging. Bye.

--
Chris.
Reply to

It's not that they're ignorant it's just that they don't know, which isn't the same thing. You have to remember that by definition half of the population have a below average IQ. The indicator of true intelligence is the ability to deal with problems, which includes dealing with people that aren't as bright as we'd like them to be. Einstein was a great example of this, which is why he is remembered for his humility and humour as much as his cleverness.

Reply to
Davo

?

Ignorance means that you don't know something, not that you aren't capable of learning it.

Stupid means that you can't learn it.

Michael A. Terrell

Ignorant means you do know something but ignore it. Have a look at the word, it's obvious.

Maybe it does, but it can also mean you can learn it, but choose not to take on the knowledge. For example when someone makes a stupid mistake it usually refers to something they were doing where they knew the outcome, but persisted with the action anyway.

Reply to
Davo

Ok. Beileive whatever turns your rusty crank.

Michael A. Terrell

Yayy I won!

Reply to
Davo

all

advent of

the

Yep, that's what "subsequently" usually implies.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

No, but you're too stupid to know the difference.

Michael A. Terrell