Internet Exporer in trouble again - Page 2

Re: Internet Exporer in trouble again

Go to Tools-->Windows Update

Re: Internet Exporer in trouble again

And , from

"Meanwhile Mozilla has released a scheduled update for its open source
Firefox web browsers for at least 10 different vulnerabilities."

geoff

Re: Internet Exporer in trouble again

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1095266/Web-panic-flaw-lets-criminals-computer.html

I use Opera except for non-W3C compliant sites which may require IE.

Authors of HTML code that does not conform to W3C standards should be SHOT.
http://www.w3.org /

Graham

Re: Internet Exporer in trouble again

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1095266/Web-panic-flaw-lets-criminals-computer.html

   So, when the  W3C change their minds AGAIN as to what conforms, all
the people who conformed before the changes should be shot?  And you
call the US bloodthirsty.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Re: Internet Exporer in trouble again

The bizarre thing is that if you contact them and explain that their
web page does not conform to standards, they will tell you that "it
works fine with IE" as if that was the universal standard!!!
Fortunately the companies I have to deal with, like the bank and
credit card companies seem to understand that IE is not the only
"true" web browser.

Rick

Re: Internet Exporer in trouble again

I have been using Firefox for years now
There are no websites I have used that need
IE anymore.

This sort of thing is one of the reasons for the shift, apart
from IE being in the stone age re; features compared to FF

Re: Internet Exporer in trouble again

I have used FF for years also, however too many program launch IE
without your control over it.

I heard more reports that the virus only affects Windozer V7.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Internet Exporer in trouble again

I still encounter a few.  Not sites that really are incompatible,
but the ones that look at the user agent header and refuse to play
ball with anything that is not IE.  User agent switcher takes care
of those and also adds the handy capability to appear to be a Google
bot...

--
Andrew Smallshaw
snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lonestar.org

Re: Internet Exporer in trouble again

How do you know ?

geoff

Re: Internet Exporer in trouble again

I suspect he has performed the complicated task of entering the URL
and seeing if the resultant display appears to be coherent.

 [page]: <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net
Re: Internet Exporer in trouble again

How  does that demonstrate the relative 'features' of a browser he does not
use and/or in unfamiliar with ?

geoff

Re: Internet Exporer in trouble again

I don't know about IE being quite "stone age", but as a long-term
Firefox and Opera user, it is always a painful experience if I have to
use IE for some reason.  IE just feels so much slower and more awkward,
it's annoying to have all these adverts (compared to Adblock Plus on
Firefox), and it's annoying to have to use Google's standard pages
(compared to cusomisegoogle on FireFox).  And apparently IE *still* has
trouble with simple downloads - if the file on the website has changed,
but not the URL, IE gets confused when you try to download the new version!

The reason IE is banned at our office is its security problems.  The
reason no one complains about the ban is that everyone agrees that
Firefox and Opera are vastly better.

Re: Internet Exporer in trouble again
On Dec 19, 9:28A0%pm, David Brown

You have basically said what I felt about it when I made the"stoneage"
comment.
Like many Microsoft products, its just more "painful" and clumsy to
use,
little thought or effort seems to have gone into making
it "easy" or "friendly" for the average person.

I haven't used Opera for about 3-4 years, it was good except that
there were just too many sites (at the time)
that it had problems opening or displaying. Internet banking was also
a problem.

When Im in a public location, or at another computer that has only IE,
these differences are
painfully obvious. My wife still uses it sometimes for unknown reasons
though :).

Re: Internet Exporer in trouble again
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1095266/Web-panic-flaw-lets-criminals-computer.html

and I get so many chunks of software that go fetches IE, even if you
have FF set as your default browser.

You buy software, go fetch help when needed, and IE magically opens up.
:-(

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Internet Exporer in trouble again
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1095266/Web-panic-flaw-lets-criminals-computer.html

You have to make sure the IE settings for the "Internet zone" are set to
the highest level.  Help browsers shouldn't need ActiveX and all that
junk, and normally work fine.

Re: Internet Exporer in trouble again

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1095266/Web-panic-flaw-lets-criminals-computer.html

What other good reasons _not_ to use 'Doze can we think of?

"You knew I was a snake
when you took me in."
(From a once-popular tune.  I don't recall the title.)

Re: Internet Exporer in trouble again
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1095266/Web-panic-flaw-lets-criminals-computer.html

There are plenty of good reasons to use Windows, and plenty of good
reasons to use something else - the best choice depends on who you are,
what you want to do, and how you want to do it, as well as obvious
things like hardware and software support.  Windows has its place, as
does Linux, MacOS, BSD, and other OS's.  Anyone who insists that a
particular OS is *always* the right choice, or always the wrong choice,
is being fanatical.

On the other hand, saying IE is *never* the right choice is not
fanatical - it's simple fact :-)

Re: Internet Exporer in trouble again

Couldn't have put it better myself :-)

Though I only boot a Virtual MSWindows when called to help someone over
the phone, MSWindows still has its place for various people due to the
application(s) needed that are not available on other platforms.

However I try to get everyone to use Mozilla's Firefox/Seamonkey or
Opera as IE is simply dangerous.

Cheers
Ian B Manners

Re: Internet Exporer in trouble again

Sounds fanatical to me.

Currently using Safari, Opera and IE  (on Windows, OSx and Solaris )

Re: Internet Exporer in trouble again

What's the alternative? Firefox?
Firefox got number one position in apps that have security holes.

Site Timeline