Interesting product

Saw this advert - shower head with LEDs to illuminate the water stream, coulour indicates temperature.

Supposedly without batteries or external power.

"No batteries and external power supply needed. The color change tells you the water temperature. Bright LED light. Approved by CE & RoHS certificates. Electricity is generated by hydraulic mechanism."

I wonder what mecahnism they use to generate the power & if it really is as bright as the marketing pictures depict!

No doubt they will make a few dollars out of it!

Reply to
Dennis

They're out of stock! The faucet unit is only $6.99, for that price I'd tear it apart just to see how it works. I expect someone to explain it. ;-) Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Green water is colder than blue water? That's wrong!

Reply to
Hurtlin' Squirty

snipped long line.

It cannot be that hard to generate the juice required to fully illuminate 20 LEDs.

Reply to
WoolyBully

ids=3921615035746&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_source=hovercard&fb_aggregation_id=246965925417366>

Blue is the hottest color in the universe.

Red flame - hot

Blue flame - HOTTER

Artsy fartsy wise, however, both blue and green are considered "cool" colors.

English power cord... The BROWN wire is always 'the hot'. It is easy to remember if one just remembers hot and cold.

Reply to
WoolyBully

You could in theory have a shower head that delivered 50 watts or so of electrical power from the pressure drop.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Well, remove the restrictor, and you get that back.

So, the generator can be set (designed) to spool up until the drop matches what a proper, restricted head would deliver.

They would always be red with me. My showers are 125 degrees.

Reply to
SoothSayer

Steam bath ?

geoff

Reply to
geoff

No, just a hothead.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

EEs should be legally exempt from having to use low-flow shower heads. We get all our best ideas in a good hot shower.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Yeah you could but how would you do it in a consumer product flogged for $10.

Found a video here, doesn't look as bright as in the advert:

Dennis

In an apartment, where the water is free, one could use such a device to generate some of their electrical need. Wasting much free water, of course. But folks do that all the time these days.

Reply to
SoothSayer

On a sunny day (Fri, 01 Feb 2013 10:39:08 +0800) it happened Dennis wrote in :

Probably some rotating turbine generator Water pressure can do that, pity water is expensive here, else it could replace my power company...

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I get my best ones when having a brewsky. So should we exempt EEs from DUI laws? Oh wait, something like that has already been done in ... you guessed it ... Ireland:

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg
[snip]

Agreed!

Last year, when I did that three month gig on Long Island, I was holed up in an Extended America Hotel with a typical weeny shower head.

So I went to the local Lowe's and bought two channel-lock and one needle-node pliers and a European-style hand-shower.

Unscrewed the original shower head, and replaced it with mine (flow restrictor removed) for the duration. (Probably a crime in NY State :-)

FedEx'd it back to myself when I left, and put the pliers and hand-shower into my extended travel kit ;-) ...Jim Thompson

If any of you ever remembers the others, you should go see a doctor and get help for all of them, leaving just one. Hopefully, it will be the one with half a brain.

Reply to
MrTallyman

My guess is, it has a vane in there the water must pass over and forces it to spin. THis is most likely a magnetic coupled generator and simply spins up with the force of the water..

It does not take much to light up LEDS.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

No all of us are on the Metric system..

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

geoff

Reply to
geoff

Somebody I sent this link to said that this product requires

30 PSI of water pressure to work. Anybody know if that is true or not ?

boB

Reply to
boB