Intel rejects Vista, will stay with XP and wait for windows7 - Page 2

Re: Intel rejects Vista, will stay with XP and wait for windows7

I consider MS Word an 'anti-productivity' tool.

I do most of my stuff in write or 'wordpad' and import it (if required) to dress
up as required later.

Preferred DOS WS over DOS WP though.

Graham

Re: Intel rejects Vista, will stay with XP and wait for windows7

About that stage I was still using Spellbinder on CPM. By the time I was
able to play with Wordstar, it seemed a step backwards from Spellbinder.

Re: Intel rejects Vista, will stay with XP and wait for windows7

Never met that one.

The first WP I used was 'View' on the BBC Model B around 1984. It had the
endearing feature of only being able to efit 'forward', so if you wanted to
again.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/technology/2008/03/remembering_the_bbc_micro_1.html

Next to that WS was a joy.

Graham

Re: Intel rejects Vista, will stay with XP and wait for windows7

They moved from WP because their customers couldn't open the files.  One
engineer at a company I worked for refused to use the company standard
word processing software, so they told him to switch, or he was fired.
Everything he did had to be retyped, because the old DOS 286 computer he
used was the only computer that had that program. Finally, the IT
department took it and reformatted the hard drive to force him to use
the current win 95 networked computer he already had in his office. When
he complained, he was told there was no record of that computer in their
inventory, and they needed parts to repair a computer on the production
floor.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Re: Intel rejects Vista, will stay with XP and wait for windows7

Aaah yes, the MS word treadmill where you had to have the latest copy of
MS Word because some stupid customer had upgraded. Still didn't get you
out of the incompatibility between different MS Word versions.

I only ever fell for that line (or variations) once. From then on in, I
always answered "okay, I'm off". You should have seen the back pedalling.
Never withdrew either. also loved the "naah, can't be arsed doing that,
I'm outta here in X days". Sigh, the benefit of putting all your "super"
into paying off your home mortgage.

That is pure incompetece by the IT dept (export, import). Too many are
power game places rather than company support places.

Re: Intel rejects Vista, will stay with XP and wait for windows7

I always save as rtf (rich text format), smaller files by a mile and just about
every WP in the world can read them.

Graham

Re: Intel rejects Vista, will stay with XP and wait for windows7

   They ended up laying him off a little later, because of his attitude
problems. The last I heard, he is a radio operator on a cruise ship.

   He was using an early version of Wordstar, so all formatting was not
only useless, the exported file was full of extra crap. Since it wasn't
networked, the only way to export data was to a 5.25" floppy, and that
was one of the few computers in the company that had one.  The others
were all being used with older EPROM programmers on the production
floor. No computer on the network had a 5.25" drive, and they let him
get away with it for almost three years of not using the networked
computer.

   BTW, there may be errors in my posts for a while.  I haven't been
able to open my right eye enough to see out of it for almost a month,
and the doctors said it will be about three more months before it heals.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Re: Intel rejects Vista, will stay with XP and wait for windows7

   My sense of humor is fine.  I just have a zero tolerance policy for
low functioning morons like you and your twin brother Phil. You are both
meat popsickles, dead from the neck, up and surrounded by angry flies.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Re: Intel rejects Vista, will stay with XP and wait for windows7
Some terminal fuckwit with a very effect SoH bypass claiming to be
shit any 2 year old could leave for dead.

Re: Intel rejects Vista, will stay with XP and wait for windows7

   Yawn.  Rod is still dumber than his twin brother Phil.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Re: Intel rejects Vista, will stay with XP and wait for windows7
Some terminal fuckwit with a very effect SoH bypass claiming to be
shit any 2 year old could leave for dead.

Re: Intel rejects Vista, will stay with XP and wait for windows7

looser

Fantasy.

You in spades.

Pure fantasy.

In spades with the more exotic stuff like PVRs etc.

Hardly anyone JUST does that.

Re: Intel rejects Vista, will stay with XP and wait for windows7
looser
You made a series of dodgy claims there woddles , now prove them

Re: Intel rejects Vista, will stay with XP and wait for windows7

write

That's the point, NOT everyone just wants that. PC's are used for far more
these days.

MrT.

Re: Intel rejects Vista, will stay with XP and wait for windows7

Okay, i forgotto mention "client" software for some server.
Horses for courses. Not every business PC needs to run every piece of
software within the business.

As a contractor, I just loved those contracts where there was no
firm control on who ran what software. "Just how many hours are you
prepared to pay me to spend investigating the bugs in a downloaded screen
saver that is crashing all the office PCs?"

Re: Intel rejects Vista, will stay with XP and wait for windows7

There's some good scientific applications like CAD on linux these days and you
have save thousands if not tens of thousands of bucks by using them.

Graham

Re: Intel rejects Vista, will stay with XP and wait for windows7
  Actually there is not , unix has been around a long time but if you
want a pretty slow gui then winblows wins hands down
  correct

Re: Intel rejects Vista, will stay with XP and wait for windows7
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/06/25/et-tu-intel/index.html?partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&scp=1-b&sq=intel&st=nyt
http://www.heise.de/newsticker/Intel-ruestet-nicht-auf-Windows-Vista-um--/meldung/110022

Apart from Printers being the Biggest Issue, older than 3 years will
definitely be a problem. But in Biznes you might have Network Faxing
Software, Networked Scanners direct to PC Software. Then there's the
toys like Cameras,Webcams that some departments might use.
I'm sure there are other computer gadgets specifically for Warehouse
tracking, shipping and the like would also pose compatibility issues.
And some departments you never even thought existed has some special
software. And the Good thing (debatable sometimes) about XP, it will
run most things back to Win98. Vista can't do that.

Multiple Platforms already exist in large companies, and you need
rocks in your head to say yes thanks I'll have another.

Even Firefox has a Version on Linux and PC, they are very similar but
not Identical.

Re: Intel rejects Vista, will stay with XP and wait for windows7

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/06/25/et-tu-intel/index.html?partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&scp=1-b&sq=intel&st=nyt
http://www.heise.de/newsticker/Intel-ruestet-nicht-auf-Windows-Vista-um--/meldung/110022
Well, if people purchased printers that worked to standard formats, then
there is bugger all problem with printers.

Exactly what is the problem?
Linux will handle older software quite easily.

All doable under Linux. It was actually *nix that did all this first.

Toy are toys. Alwaysa good reason to makeit more difficult tocull
un-authorised hardware.

Err, hint, lots of this crap is already running embedded *nix and is
highly unlikely to run Vista anyway.

Lets not get carried away with another Y2K hardware replacement bonanxa
here.

*nix has wine, and other MS emulation packages.

Re: Intel rejects Vista, will stay with XP and wait for windows7
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/06/25/et-tu-intel/index.html?partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&scp=1-b&sq=intel&st=nyt
http://www.heise.de/newsticker/Intel-ruestet-nicht-auf-Windows-Vista-um--/meldung/110022

Pity about the real world where the vast bulk of printers arent like that
anymore.

Nice theory, pity about the real world.

Not with anything like as much choice as with Win.

Bare faced pig ignorant lie.

Only fools dont have them.

More mindless silly stuff.

Only in your pathetic little pig ignorant fantasyland.

Only in your pathetic little pig ignorant fantasyland.

None of which are anything like the real thing.

Site Timeline