Intel rejects Vista, will stay with XP and wait for windows7

Just picked up on this very interesting message/thread from:
sci.electronics.design

Cheers Don...

Intel rejects Vista, will stay with XP and wait for windows7

The source?
http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/06/23/intel-dumps-vista

The nytimes:
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/06/25/et-tu-intel/index.html?partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&scp=1-b&sq=intel&st=nyt

In German heise:
http://www.heise.de/newsticker/Intel-ruestet-nicht-auf-Windows-Vista-um--/meldung/110022

Hey, The Inquirer mentioned Linux!

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Intel rejects Vista, will stay with XP and wait for windows7
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/06/25/et-tu-intel/index.html?partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&scp=1-b&sq=intel&st=nyt
http://www.heise.de/newsticker/Intel-ruestet-nicht-auf-Windows-Vista-um--/meldung/110022

If your a Corp with 80,000 puters, Installing Linux would be about as
easy as Installing Vista. You will have the same basic problems.

Compatibility with existing hardware
Re-Training existing Users

Unless you are prepared to replace every piece of Electronic gizmo's
and gadgets, Software that connects to the PC, it would be pretty
pointless.

I won't be holding my breath for Win7 either as being the saviour.
Unless Intel develop Quantum Computers, I think it will be slower
than Vista but it should be more compatible.

Re: Intel rejects Vista, will stay with XP and wait for windows7
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/06/25/et-tu-intel/index.html?partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&scp=1-b&sq=intel&st=nyt
http://www.heise.de/newsticker/Intel-ruestet-nicht-auf-Windows-Vista-um--/meldung/110022
  LInux generally is miles easier to swap into , unless the hardware
like printers is very odd it just works
  bugga all time at all involved as most of the commercial packages are
available for several platforms
  wrong , well configured nix without all the chat stuff and locked down
to stop time wasting produces more work... fact
  time will tell but it looks like the woinblows death grip is becoming
much looser

Re: Intel rejects Vista, will stay with XP and wait for windows7

Pity there is still FAR more software applications available for Windows,
than for Unix though.
Of course if you just want email and office apps, or are prepared to write
your own programs, then using WinBlows is a waste of money.

MrT.

Re: Intel rejects Vista, will stay with XP and wait for windows7

Lol, you really should start looking around.
*nix far outnumber MS offerings these days.

Exactly and that describes most office PCs; mail, and word processing.

Re: Intel rejects Vista, will stay with XP and wait for windows7

I would like you to try and convince any Large Corp, they should
abandon M$ Office and use either Star/Open Office.
Even though it's 1/4 the cost of M$'s, I reckon you've got buckleys.
And again, nobody wants to start retraining staff, or finding staff
with Star Office skills already.

Re: Intel rejects Vista, will stay with XP and wait for windows7
You have little real world corp experience it seems

Re: Intel rejects Vista, will stay with XP and wait for windows7

I do and he is spot on.

Re: Intel rejects Vista, will stay with XP and wait for windows7
I doubt that very much , if you take the care to google many companies
overseas and here are dropping the billware and installing dedicated
workstation software which heavily reduces time wasting

Re: Intel rejects Vista, will stay with XP and wait for windows7

Wrong.

I've worked for Banks, Telstra and Government that should qualify.

But back in the old days....
Trying to Convince Management to ween of Word Perfect,OS/2
It's wasn't until the "Under New Management" was hanging on those
companies before they even thought about changing.

The Larger the company, the more heads are involved and change
is very difficult.

Re: Intel rejects Vista, will stay with XP and wait for windows7
  many of the decisions in those campanies is clueless .. wont bore with
how I know but ti]s all to common
  Ah when I was at the coal face
  and the chose a pup
  depends if public or private

Re: Intel rejects Vista, will stay with XP and wait for windows7

Why is the blue blazes would any sane company have moved from WP or Os/2?

Both were exceedingly good, solid  products.

Re: Intel rejects Vista, will stay with XP and wait for windows7

Because the world moved on.

But both had passed their useby date.

Re: Intel rejects Vista, will stay with XP and wait for windows7

  applicable to you in the extreme woddles eh wot ?

Re: Intel rejects Vista, will stay with XP and wait for windows7

OS/2 made by IBM, IBM is hopeless at writing code
Biggest downfall, again software support for Devices.

WP, what else can you say. The world moved onto GUI's and
WP was still in DOS Mode, their Windows incantation was a
complete flop. It was sold more times than used car.

Re: Intel rejects Vista, will stay with XP and wait for windows7
  Oh Dear
  oops
  you certainly have a short memory , although maybe you were not in the
industry many years ago as some of were...

Re: Intel rejects Vista, will stay with XP and wait for windows7

The DOS version of Version WP was probably the best thing at that time.
By the time they delivered the Windows Version the world had moved
toward M$-Word. It was good but it crashed an awful lot. By the time
they fixed all the bugs, they really did miss the boat.
It did not win the race for the Desktop. So now, M$ has an enormous
percentage in the Office tools market.

How many desktops do you see running Smart Suite or Word Perfect Office?

Re: Intel rejects Vista, will stay with XP and wait for windows7
We have a majority not running m/s office , most use a simple word
processor and the tasks the machine is intended for
  There is a growing trend to dump m/s and install other o/s in the
fields we service ... you should google m/s extortion on licensing fees..

Re: Intel rejects Vista, will stay with XP and wait for windows7

Really? you do know who wrote all the initial MS offerings(after
MSDos)? Good enough for MS for quite a few years.

No, its biggest downfall was that every driver had to be loaded in
exactly the correct way and order, otherwise it didn't work and other
things broke. Once someone worked it out and shared it, you were sweet. It
was rock solid then.

As to networking, it did everything (ipx,tcpip,netbeu/netbios) at the same
time when MSWin could manage one or two protocols at best.

IMO, the other problem was that they didn't support home users, so it
didn't have the unpaid salesforce promoting it.

Err, what was a flop?
WP productivity still outperforms MSWord

Re: Intel rejects Vista, will stay with XP and wait for windows7

Wasnt IBM.

They did in fact produce OS/2 1.0

Mindlessly silly.

then.

Only in your pathetic little pig ignorant fantasyland.

Only in your pathetic little pig ignorant fantasyland.

Corse it did.

Only in your pathetic little pig ignorant fantasyland.

Site Timeline