Inline Mains Filters?

I'm after some reasonably priced mains RFI filters of the type you can simply plug inline with an existing power cord or power point. A decent power board variety would be OK too.

The "filtered" power boards I've seen seem to have very little filtering of unknown design (presumably just a few caps), or they cost $$$.

I'm after decent common and differential mode performance.

I can get proper filter modules, but they have to be wired in and boxed etc, I'd prefer something I can simply plug into the power point.

Anyone know of anything decent readily available and reasonably priced?

Thanks Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

**Why?

**Why? You do realise, don't you, that interference needs to be eliminated at the source? Mains filters, don't work. Well, not on the equipment the way most people imagine anyway.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

I could try and explain it, but it's just too much typing.

I know that perfectly well.

I'm not "most people" :->

My original question remains.

Thanks Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

David L. Jones wrote: > I'm after some reasonably priced mains RFI filters of the type you > can simply plug inline with an existing power cord or power point. A > decent power board variety would be OK too.

Have a look through the "Silicon Chip" web site. They published such a design a few years ago but I don't recall the date. I seem to remember that it was supposed to be "reasonably effective" for RF. Haven't used one myself but I do have a commercial single phase filter in series with my sinewave inverter (I'm on solar power) which seems to be of a similar topology and it cuts the RFI down to manageable levels on the HF amateur radio bands. Alan

Reply to
Alan Peake

A cheap mains filter would be one from an old hoover front loading washing machine. The filters on these are designed to filter out harsh commutator noise from the brush AC/DC motor. They work well for computers and they look like an AC capacitor used for Cap type started motors. All four wires are used. Two AC power in, two filtered power out. A proper filter setup will cost you around $80 to $100 or more. This one beats em all.

Reply to
Jonno

Morning,

Novaris make some good stuff - they have an inline plug in type unit, not sure what they cost but probably a couple hundred

they come in a nice aluminium case with some 3 pin sockets on the front

either that or you could buy the dodgy super expensive ones the gamers all get from computer shops.....

Reply to
j.l