Indicator light when current is drawn...

Situation is a block of units with shared external laundries. Each unit has a switch internally that energises a power point in the external laundry.

Is it (easilyishly) possible to install a lamp (something that clips into a standard switchplate would be nice) that illuminates only when current is being drawn through that circuit?

The object being not only a reminder that the circuit is live (via lamp 'A') but also a convenient tell-tale as to when a run of washing is complete (ie: when the machine stops drawing current).

(Of course, I'm stuffed if it turns out that the machines draw current all the time - I will check that!)

TIA,

GB

--
 "Most police misconduct occurs when citizens challenge an individual
  officer's authority" (Reiss, 1971 c.in Jermier & Berkes 1979)

Perhaps you could adapt a current sensing circuit for automatically turning on periperals when a computer is switched on. There was one published in Elektor, July/August 2004 and I've got a feeling I saw a similar thing in one of the other mags- Silicon Chip or EPE maybe.

I also found one at:

Andy Wood snipped-for-privacy@trap.ozemail.com.au

Reply to
Andy Wood

************* First of all it's dangerous to modify any mains high voltage circuits unless you are a qualifed electrician **** (ie know what you are doing)

I been in that UNIT situation.

I replace the switch with switch+light (light goes on when switch is on) but doesn't monitor current

You could look at current clamp meter

This needs to go around one of the wires

Or

Joe

Reply to
Joe G (Home)

I think you will find that poster means an indication inside their unit so that they dont have to travel umpteen floors to find out

Reply to
F Murtz

and SNIP was what I meant to do just now, rather than quoting and so doing exactly what I was whinging about! The laugh's on me!

Reply to
Suzy

"Alan Rutlidge"

Reply to
Andy Wood

Suzy"

** YOU are a TROLLING BLOODY IDIOT

And a PITA, moronic net cop.

PISSSS OFFFFF

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"Suzy the anonymous brain dead bitch "

** YOU are a TROLLING BLOODY IDIOT

And a PITA, moronic net cop.

PISSSS OFFFFF

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Reply to
David L. Jones

If it works so well, buy one to remind yourself to take ALL your medication.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

OUCH!!!! Slam dunked beautifully. :-)

Reply to
Alan Rutlidge

What can I say? My health is finally improving, and my sense of humor is backkkk! :)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

shared external laundries. Each unit

Current transformers are often used in typical domestic PC UPS devices, Those that I have seen usually have about 4 turns of wire round the primary, in series with the load (on one side of the mains output). The secondary is rectified, and monitored by the UPS to determine the mains load, so as to act as overload protection, etc.

With a laundry, it probably be wise to use thick wire, due to startup currents of washing machine motors, and possibility of a washing machine/dryer being on at the same time, maybe drawing in excess of

20a continuous. This is a lot more than a typical UPS that might be rated at anything from 200-1000W

if you are technically minded and know what you are doing in relation to mains wiring and safety, you could try removing the low voltage secondary of a typical small transformer from a 240v (ironcore transformer based ! ) plugpack and replacing the secondary (low voltage side) with a few turns of 20a rated wire in series with the load. Im sure you would get a usable voltage from the other side of the transformer that you could monitor to get an idea of the current being drawn in the laundry.

Depending on the voltage coming out under load, it could be used to drive a LED through a suitable dropping resistor. if the voltage is too much you can have less windings on the primary (mains) side.

On the other hand you could try Haymans, Turks etc, they might have something in their catalog that would do this job with much less fuss.

Remember too that since this involves direct connection to fixed wiring doing this would certainly be illegal, if you arent a licensed electrician, and even if you were, the device might require approval etc.

Reply to
kreed