India develops 35-dollar 'laptop' for schools

July 23, 2010

India develops 35-dollar 'laptop' for schools

India has come up with a 35-dollar touch-screen "laptop" -- a computing
prototype that it aims to make available to students
from elementary schools to universities.

The gadget, developed by the elite Indian Institute of Technology and the Indian
Institute of Science, is part of a push to give
students a better education and technical skills needed to boost India's
economic growth.

The first users are expected to be university students with introduction of the
Linux-based computing device targeted for next year.

http://www.physorg.com/news199083092.html

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: India develops 35-dollar 'laptop' for schools

Wait till it goes on sale at retailers - I would say that's only 10% of
the  retail price.

Re: India develops 35-dollar 'laptop' for schools

**I doubt that. Whilst it may not end being 35 Bucks, it may not be far off.
The total cost of components is $35.00, which would typically translate to
an RRP of around $140.00 here in Australia. In India things probably work
differently.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: India develops 35-dollar 'laptop' for schools

The government could contract their mates to distribute the laptops to schools,
they would get laptops at $35 and sell them to schools at $700 a piece - that
would happent if Australian Labor was in charge in India.

Tom

Re: India develops 35-dollar 'laptop' for schools

and if the liberals were in charge they would bury the laptop and get the
big businesses to sell their laptops  them to the Schools for over $2000

Re: India develops 35-dollar 'laptop' for schools

Dr Sir John Howard, AC, WSCMoF"
<""Trollene.has.had.more.kook.outs.than.ive.had.hot.dinners\"@kangarooistan.com.au

That's rich coming from a Liberal party stooge.

Re: India develops 35-dollar 'laptop' for schools

well, you can ebay a windows CE laptop now for $95AUD
http://tinyurl.com/34yo3t2

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: India develops 35-dollar 'laptop' for schools

And that may include postage as well.
I bought one a few months ago, total $91.00

--
Laurie.
Registered Linux user # 468070

Re: India develops 35-dollar 'laptop' for schools

running it under Linux or CE?
if so CE6 installed?

dirt cheap either way.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: India develops 35-dollar 'laptop' for schools

Still running on CE5 , I think the same ones are being sold by Warehouse
in aust at around $180-190

--
Laurie.
Registered Linux user # 468070

Re: India develops 35-dollar 'laptop' for schools

You really shouldn't believe everything you see on the internet.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/201840/Why_the_35_Tablet_Will_Never_Exist.html?tk=rss_news

Re: India develops 35-dollar 'laptop' for schools

http://www.pcworld.com/article/201840/Why_the_35_Tablet_Will_Never_Exist.html?tk=rss_news

You really shouldn't believe everything you see on the internet.
(I think I heard an echo :-) )

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: India develops 35-dollar 'laptop' for schools

http://www.pcworld.com/article/201840/Why_the_35_Tablet_Will_Never_Exist.html?tk=rss_news

NET   Not Everything is True.

Re: India develops 35-dollar 'laptop' for schools

http://www.pcworld.com/article/201840/Why_the_35_Tablet_Will_Never_Exist.html?tk=rss_news

Never say never...

Site Timeline