India develops 35-dollar 'laptop' for schools

July 23, 2010

India develops 35-dollar 'laptop' for schools

India has come up with a 35-dollar touch-screen "laptop" -- a computing prototype that it aims to make available to students from elementary schools to universities.

The gadget, developed by the elite Indian Institute of Technology and the Indian Institute of Science, is part of a push to give students a better education and technical skills needed to boost India's economic growth.

The first users are expected to be university students with introduction of the Linux-based computing device targeted for next year.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

Wait till it goes on sale at retailers - I would say that's only 10% of the retail price.

Reply to
Rob

**I doubt that. Whilst it may not end being 35 Bucks, it may not be far off. The total cost of components is $35.00, which would typically translate to an RRP of around $140.00 here in Australia. In India things probably work differently.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

The government could contract their mates to distribute the laptops to schools, they would get laptops at $35 and sell them to schools at $700 a piece - that would happent if Australian Labor was in charge in India.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

and if the liberals were in charge they would bury the laptop and get the big businesses to sell their laptops them to the Schools for over $2000

Reply to
will s

well, you can ebay a windows CE laptop now for $95AUD

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

You really shouldn't believe everything you see on the internet.

z1

And that may include postage as well. I bought one a few months ago, total $91.00

--
Laurie.
Registered Linux user # 468070

running it under Linux or CE? if so CE6 installed?

dirt cheap either way.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

You really shouldn't believe everything you see on the internet. (I think I heard an echo :-) )

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

Still running on CE5 , I think the same ones are being sold by Warehouse in aust at around $180-190

--
Laurie.
Registered Linux user # 468070
Reply to