In Europe: The great CFL rip-off.

**Nah. Just reasonably careful with all water usage. Quick showers, wash clothes in cold water, etc. Just common-sense.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Pair of Philips so far - one dies after 2 days, the other 5 months.

Yep for sure in principal, but it never seems to actually happen in real life.....

geoff

Reply to
geoff

Except that results in all these holes in your ceiling! What does one do then?

Regards,

Ross..

Reply to
Ross Vumbaca

Err, you fill them of course. It ain't hard. I used slightly thinner gyprock sheet cut into a circle just slightly smaller than the hole and glued that onto another square backing piece of gyprock a bit bigger than the hole. Then you have a nice plug you just drop into the hole from the top and glue into place. You only then need a minimum of gap filler putty instead of the large gap stuff which is much harder to use. Let set and sand to a smooth finish, then paint. Much easier than it sounds actually, I plugged dozens in a matter of hours.

Dave.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
David L. Jones

**Gotta go with Dave there. Gyrocking is not that hard. Like any new skill, it's a little scarey at first, but within a short time, I was patching holes, ripping off quad and doing a professional job.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

op

mum

s.

log.com

If getting into the ceiling is a big hassle, you can always feed a pre- glued strip of scrap up through the hole and manipulate it so it is directly over the hole, once the glue sets and its in place, you can then glue or screw a circular piece of plasterboard to it from below, sand and paint as already described.

I had to do this recently when a smoke alarm that had been improperly installed (into the plaster rather than a stud) by an electrician, fell off the ceiling and was hanging by its wires. In this case a

20cm strip of scrap 15mm ply, and 4 screws did wonders.
Reply to
KR

Yep, I've done that a couple of times for hard to reach crawl spaces, or when I'm just too lazy to get into my old clothes, get out the ladder, move the car, and get up into the roof.

Dave.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
David L. Jones

Thanks for the tips guys, doesn't seem so hard. I was at the bottom in Technics in high school and never recovered my confidence! :).

My solution so far was to use LED down-light replacements, but these are so expensive that their is no monetary benefit (for many years at least), only an environmental one.

Regards,

Ross..

Reply to
Ross Vumbaca

Rating lamps in lumens, an actual measureof brightness ( at last ) will stop this rip-off.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore