In Europe: The great CFL rip-off.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2009/08/31/euro-chiefs-dim-view-of-eco-bulbs-115875-21636908/

Re: In Europe: The great CFL rip-off.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2009/08/31/euro-chiefs-dim-view-of-eco-bulbs-115875-21636908 /

**The only accurate point in that beat-up was the one about dimmers. Sheesh!
What a load of complete bollocks. My oldest CFLs are in my bathrooms. Not
only do they STILL deliver more light than the incandescents they replaced
(measured with a light meter and a spare incandescent), they use less than
30% of the energy, haven't had to be replaced (previous lamps lasted around
6 months) and have similar colour balance. My only complaint is the slow
(about 45 second) warm up time in the middle of Winter.

Talk about a storm in a teacup. My only CFL failure was when a possum sat on
a naked lamp in the garage. I now have them in every fitting that will take
them.

Having said all that, I agree that CFLs are far from perfect. LEDs, when
they sort out the high power problems, should adress those issues nicely.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: In Europe: The great CFL rip-off.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2009/08/31/euro-chiefs-dim-view-of-eco-bulbs-115875-21636908 /
A lot won't fit in oyster fittings, if they do they overheat in non
vented oyster fittings

Re: In Europe: The great CFL rip-off.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2009/08/31/euro-chiefs-dim-view-of-eco-bulbs-115875-21636908 /

**Then you have several choices:

* Stockpile a handful of incandescents.
* Choose another fitting.
* Buy one of the newer halogens, which the gummint seems to think are OK.

One of my light fittings won't take a CFL either. I don't use it.

I also have a bunch of incredibly stupid, wasteful 50 Watt halogen
downlights. I rarely use them too. Dumbest light fitting ever designed.
Well, it's OK for lighting a specific workspace (like the kitchen sink), but
that's about it. How on Earth designers thought they'd be a good idea for
space lighting is beyond belief.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: In Europe: The great CFL rip-off.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2009/08/31/euro-chiefs-dim-view-of-eco-bulbs-115875-21636908 /

Our main lighting is 3 50 watt halogens in the living room. Ordinary
globes and CFLs won't work because of a very high ceiling (3.5 metres on
one side), the light from the halogens focussed into the area where we
sit in the evening. The lights are on from about 6pm in the winter 8pm
in the summer to about 11pm, ie at worst 750watt hours per day. Using
CFLs would save at most 500watt hours per day, probably less. If LEDs
ever become available at reasonable cost, I'll consider them, but CFLs
just don't cut it and the savings are quite minor.

Now, when the hot water system blew up 6 months back, I replaced it with
a heat pump system. After the government rebates it cost less than a
conventional electric system. The 2 electric bills that I have had since
it was installed showed a savings of 7.5 and 5.0 Kw hours per day. Now
that is real savings both in my pocket and for the environment.

Re: In Europe: The great CFL rip-off.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2009/08/31/euro-chiefs-dim-view-of-eco-bulbs-115875-21636908 /

**I've done some back-of-the-napkin calcs on the hot water system thing and
if I swap my off-peak system out, I'll lose big time. I don't have my bill
close to hand, but I usually pay around $20.00/quarter for hot water.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: In Europe: The great CFL rip-off.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2009/08/31/euro-chiefs-dim-view-of-eco-bulbs-115875-21636908 /
You must be a pom and shower once a quarter :)

Re: In Europe: The great CFL rip-off.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2009/08/31/euro-chiefs-dim-view-of-eco-bulbs-115875-21636908 /

**Nah. Just reasonably careful with all water usage. Quick showers, wash
clothes in cold water, etc. Just common-sense.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: In Europe: The great CFL rip-off.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2009/08/31/euro-chiefs-dim-view-of-eco-bulbs-115875-21636908 /

Not always true, but yeah, it's an issue. I've got plenty of poorly
ventilated oysters that don't give me any trouble. And the ridiculous
variety of tiny CFL's available these days means there is one to fit almost
any fitting.
The ones that did give me poor life and/or light output I replaced with T5
circular fluoro fittings and the light output is much better and more even,
and they run cooler in the non ventilated fittings. Can't comment on life,
as I haven't had to replace any yet.

Dave.
Re: In Europe: The great CFL rip-off.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2009/08/31/euro-chiefs-dim-view-of-eco-bulbs-115875-21636908 /

As long as you don't want any light out of them.

Re: In Europe: The great CFL rip-off.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2009/08/31/euro-chiefs-dim-view-of-eco-bulbs-115875-21636908 /

They are/were a good idea on the basis of looks, that's why they got to be
so trendy and every new McMansion was filled with hundreds (no exaggeration)
of them.
It was all part of the "lifestyle" housing boom. You can now get recessed
CFL fittings of all sorts, designed for that same look.

My house had a dozens of them when I moved in, they were the first things to
be ripped out.

Dave.
Re: In Europe: The great CFL rip-off.

Except that results in all these holes in your ceiling! What does one do
then?

Regards,

Ross..

Re: In Europe: The great CFL rip-off.

Err, you fill them of course.
It ain't hard.
I used slightly thinner gyprock sheet cut into a circle just slightly
smaller than the hole and glued that onto another square backing piece of
gyprock a bit bigger than the hole. Then you have a nice plug you just drop
into the hole from the top and glue into place. You only then need a minimum
of gap filler putty instead of the large gap stuff which is much harder to
use. Let set and sand to a smooth finish, then paint.
Much easier than it sounds actually, I plugged dozens in a matter of hours.

Dave.
Re: In Europe: The great CFL rip-off.

**Gotta go with Dave there. Gyrocking is not that hard. Like any new skill,
it's a little scarey at first, but within a short time, I was patching
holes, ripping off quad and doing a professional job.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: In Europe: The great CFL rip-off.

If getting into the ceiling is a big hassle, you can always feed a pre-
glued strip of scrap up through the hole and manipulate it so it is
directly over the hole, once the glue sets and its in place, you can
then glue or screw a  circular piece of plasterboard to it from below,
sand and paint as already described.

I had to do this recently when a smoke alarm that had been improperly
installed (into the plaster rather than a stud) by an electrician,
fell off the ceiling and was hanging by its wires.  In this case a
20cm strip of scrap 15mm ply, and 4 screws did wonders.

Re: In Europe: The great CFL rip-off.

Yep, I've done that a couple of times for hard to reach crawl spaces, or
when I'm just too lazy to get into my old clothes, get out the ladder, move
the car, and get up into the roof.

Dave.
Re: In Europe: The great CFL rip-off.

Thanks for the tips guys, doesn't seem so hard. I was at the bottom in
Technics in high school and never recovered my confidence! :).

My solution so far was to use LED down-light replacements, but these are
so expensive that their is no monetary benefit (for many years at
least), only an environmental one.

Regards,

Ross..

Re: In Europe: The great CFL rip-off.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2009/08/31/euro-chiefs-dim-view-of-eco-bulbs-115875-21636908 /

The issue is one of claimed equivalence. Clearly there's no difficulty
in getting a CFL that's as bright as a given incandescent. But the
equivalence claims on the boxes leave a lot to be desired, and do rather
overstate the light output.

Sylvia.

Re: In Europe: The great CFL rip-off.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2009/08/31/euro-chiefs-dim-view-of-eco-bulbs-115875-21636908 /

**Some MAY do. I've measured the light output of the ones I have (I only buy
premium Philips branded ones now) are the equal or better than the
incadescents they replaced (of the claimed Wattage on the box). In one of my
applications, the CFLs actually deliver more light into the corners of the
room than the incadescents (I try to measure the light output in several
parts of the room). I did pick up some of those El CheapoT types once. They
are (or were) crap. They certainly have a colour balance that I find
particularly unnattractive. The Philips ones are much nicer they deliver the
goods.

I suggest you buy some premium types next time. Forget the cheapies. They
are crap. Actually, I just recall that I do have a couple of cheapies
(Nelson branded) PAR38 floods. They take forever to warm up and the light
output is very hard. Since they're in the backyard and rarely used, it
doesn't matter so much. Still, when they're on, they do the job, consume 24
Watts (compared to 150 Watts with the incandescents they replaced) and they
have lasted quite well so far.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: In Europe: The great CFL rip-off.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2009/08/31/euro-chiefs-dim-view-of-eco-bulbs-115875-21636908 /

I like the bit that suggets that the CFLs will last 2, 3, 4,5 years.
Haven't had one last more than 8 months yet.  BAse gets hot, smells very
plasticy, and die.

Any how many supermarket receipts for bulbs does one keep ?

Sylvania

  (Geoff , actually).

Site Timeline