in-car "black box" video cameras

On the news last week, there was a story about in-car
video footage being used in a road rage court case.
Supposedly the victim's car had 4 cameras (front, rear,
left, right I presume). I wonder if it's like the shitty
CCTV in my uncle's shop - it does a mosaic of the 4 cameras
so you only get 288 lines resolution each picture (same as
VHS tape). I doubt you could identify an armed robber off it.
It should be HD only for this sort of thing.

Re: in-car "black box" video cameras

The video shown on TV was enough to identify the registration number and the
actions, that was enough.

Turns out the perp was an unlicensed driver with a toddler in the back, I
hope they throw the book at the idiot.

Re: in-car "black box" video cameras

I am not familiar with the case, but I have to be honest, based on what
is posted here, the main focus shouldn't be punishing the unlicenced
driver/road rager, but (and I'm serious about this) getting that child
out of such(imo) danger. Any kind of a lunatic who would engage in shit
like this at all, let alone with a young kid in the car, if that isn't
moulding a future sociopath (at abolute best) and indicative of likely
child abuse that goes on behind closed doors (i.e. they take out their
frustrations on other motorists, imagine what they'd do to their own
kids with no witnesses). God help the little one.

--
John McKenzie

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com   snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com
Re: in-car "black box" video cameras

I agree. He rammed the other car FFS, what a moron.

Anyway, this being WA where justice is a laughable farce at best, he will
probably get a 6 month suspension and a $200 fine.

Re: in-car "black box" video cameras

No idea, but I'd love to know the tech details.

It has been feasible for about a decade to just have a computer running a
capture card storing pictures/video to a hard disk. Limitations were the
quality of the cameras that you could afford and the size of the hard
disk that you could afford, which implied the limit to the amount of
recording(history).

Re: in-car "black box" video cameras

These days a dvr at 500 or 600 tvl per-cam and 20 to 25 fps is under 400$
  it's getting very affordable

--

Re: in-car "black box" video cameras

What would 400$ be when written in the proper format with the $ before
the number?

Re: in-car "black box" video cameras

I saw such a system installed in a local bar in the early 2000's.
Had 16 camera inputs which appeared to be 2x 8 input cards connected
to a standard PC.
The hard drive light was always flashing like crazy.
Got no idea of the resolution or HDD size but at the time a 900mhz
processor was about as fast as you could get. Video was B/W.

It turned out a good deal though, as one night there was an armed
robbery there after closing, staff were tied up etc, but the entire
thing
was recorded, filming all through the building everywhere the crooks
went,. it went on the local news, and one of the robbers quickly
identified to be a former staff
member who was promptly thrown in the slammer.

These HDD have been available for some years for taxis, buses etc.  I
would think now  they would
be cheap enough for almost anyone to put in their car. With the amount
of law enforcement corruption - and also the ability
of other parties in any accident etc to bare-faced lie about what
really happened - potentially putting you in the shit,
or copping great expense in either paying for damage and/or defending
yourself in court, these systems might be worth considering.
In the OP's case it turned out to be useful.

IIRC on these US real life "cop" shows, even 20 odd years back they
seemed to
have a camera in the cop car under the bonnet looking forward to
record what was said and done when someone was pulled over.
No doubt these early systems would have used a VCR of some kind in the
boot.

Re: in-car "black box" video cameras

One has to wonder about what sort of person thinks it's necessary to fit 4
cameras to their vehicle.

Some possible 'justifications' include:
1. Someone who's been a repeated target of abuse for their crappy driving,
but hasn't figured out that THEY are the root cause of the incidents.
2. Someone tin-foil hat wearing wacko looking to make money via vexacious
legal claims.

Based on the limited info above, sounds like both a viable.

Re: in-car "black box" video cameras

I have two cctv cams in my daily
  but then I got them for little and reversing is easier

--

Re: in-car "black box" video cameras

Only if you don't drive with your eyes open. Look and learn, there are
plenty of examples where you can be held responsible for some other
person's reckless driving, e.g. the lane changer who suddenly shifts in
front with very little gap and then jams on the brakes as they see a red
light ahead.

Re: in-car "black box" video cameras

Another suggestion to consider.

3. The driver frequently sees other drivers doing really stupid things
and wants to record these types of events to put on u-tube, etc..  :-)

--
Athol
<http://cust.idl.com.au/athol Linux Registered User # 254000

There's not enough space for that on the whole Internet, Athol.
\ /  ASCII ribbon campaign | For every complex problem there is an
Re: in-car "black box" video cameras

snipped-for-privacy@innovative.iinet.net.au says...
There's probably an incident every ten minutes of driving. Most would have to be
culled leaving only amusing and/or dangerous stuff.
Here's one that left me amused a while ago. Guy is rushing to the roundabout on
my right, thought best stop (even though I could get in first) and let him go
through to avoid contact, weeks in hospital with discomfort etc. Anyway after
the roundabout he takes the next right without an indicator. What's amusing
about that you ask? It was single occupant vehicle, a driving instructor, with
the word affordable (IIRC) in the name.

Al
--
I don't take sides.
It's more fun to insult everyone.

Indeed, but my point was that there is a rational explaination for
doing so.

--
Athol
<http://cust.idl.com.au/athol Linux Registered User # 254000
Re: in-car "black box" video cameras

The person had them fitted after they were held to blame for an
accident that was not their fault.

JB

Re: in-car "black box" video cameras

Wish I had them fitted when I was fined for driving carefully through a
faulty red arrow after I waited 5 minutes for it to change (at 2AM and
nothing else on the road except an unmarked cop car apparently :-(
I would have at least enjoyed playing the footage in real time in court
until THEY go tired of waiting! But whether such evidence would even be
accepted is another matter of course.

MrT.

Re: in-car "black box" video cameras

If you stop in the wrong spot the metal detector loop might not 'see'
your car. sometimes reversing a bit triggers the lights.

Re: in-car "black box" video cameras

Wonder if it was Toowoomba Qld. Going back about 15 years ago, the lights never
change late at night if you are on a motorcycle... sitting there and there is no
other traffic for fuck*ng kilometers. It would be one giant arseh*le of a cop
that would book you for going through them.

Al
--
I don't take sides.
It's more fun to insult everyone.
Re: in-car "black box" video cameras

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 22:25:07 +1000, Albm&ctd

no

There are no kilometers in Australia.