If you used discrete components how big would it be? - Page 3

Re: If you used discrete components how big would it be?

What about the stuff on here
http://www.thegalleryofoldiron.com/TCMS.HTM

They had one item which was the CPU. Basically aa layer
of ICs put onto a multi layer cake of ceramic with
connections through all of the layers which also
contained circuitry.

The whole thing would sit inside a metal case and
either be water or air cooled.

--
John

Life is short eat chocolate

Re: If you used discrete components how big would it be?

Those were quite a bit later.

Yeah, similar in concept to a modern PC cpu but rather bigger.

Yeah, and some stuff like the 7600 were essentially
refrigerated to cool them with a similar approach.

Rather more plumbing than soldering or wire wrapping.

Re: If you used discrete components how big would it be?

Huge. I actually used a couple of minis and mainframes from
the discrete transistor era and the DEC PDP9 was a whole
series of wardrobe sized metal cabinets that you could actually
stand in when you swung out the back door which had the entire
computer proper on postcard sized plug in cards which plugged
in in a huge array that filled the entire back door with the cards
all effectively stacked up vertically. Each postcard sized card
had about 10 transistors on it with most of the cards. And that
was only 8K, nothing like the memory of a modern PC.

The mainframes were physically even bigger,
and werent anything like the horsepower of
a PC or anything like the memory either.

Re: If you used discrete components how big would it be?

I thoughtmy PDP-11 was big.
Apparently the first Cray-1(1976ish i think) did about 80 megaflops/per
second. Apparently an athlon 2800 does around 670megaflops

Re: If you used discrete components how big would it be?

Nar, they reduced the height of the cabinets for most of those.

The local council was chucking out their 11/44, with rows of CDC cartridge
pack drives as big as washing machines. Never got a bid at the auction. I
almost ended up in tears when someone was eying off the system cabinet,
decent metal doors etc, which was about to be carted up the dump. He
was considering gutting it and turning into a cubby for his kids.

Yeah, thats the other thing that has changed dramatically, apart from
the number of transistors used, the raw horsepower is out of sight.

The one I used before the PDP9 was a PDP8S. The S stands for serial,
serial access to the registers rather than parallel. Cycle time of 10uS.

I had that measuring light decay to the nanosecond
using a sampling cro that it was driving.

Re: If you used discrete components how big would it be?

And whatever became of Bubble memory?

Does anyone still use it? It had great promise then
seemed to die off

Re: If you used discrete components how big would it be?

Never really did fly, like quite a bit of technology.

Nope.

Yeah, too slow basically.

Re: If you used discrete components how big would it be?

I guess it just burst

David

Re: If you used discrete components how big would it be?

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 00:45:06 +0930, Chasing Kate

That was the initial claim, but it had high power usage, was slow to write.
Then ram, rom and eprom came into the market which had lower power,
lower and single rail voltages (except for the 2708 eprom).

Are you aware of any advances in electronics in the past 20-30 years?
Have you been on a hiatus from electronics, and just come back into
the field?

Re: If you used discrete components how big would it be?

   I saw one TI Pro computer (Early PC clone) with bubble memory. It was
part of the billing system for a Cable TV office and was provided by the
data processing company.  the bubble memory was a joke. The data entry
people would come in and turn on the computer to find out that the it
wouldn't boot.  Then the data processing service would send a tech to
reload the memory and it would work for a few months, then die again.
--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Re: If you used discrete components how big would it be?

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 01:13:01 GMT, "Michael A. Terrell"

I wonder if there are some bubble memory cores still available. Might
be nice to play with, just as a nostalgic thing.

Re: If you used discrete components how big would it be?

   I haven't seen one for over 20 years.

--
?

Michael A. Terrell