If you used discrete components how big would it be? - Page 2

Re: If you used discrete components how big would it be?

Thats OK, just employ union guys to do the repairs - they will wait for the data
to arrive

Re: If you used discrete components how big would it be?

data

   You've never seen an early mainframe with 20 foot deep pull out
frames that were hinged at the back so you could get two rows of boards
in a 24 inch wide space or the poor uptime of those slow, slow slow
systems.  The system clock was in the low KHz range and those 800 BPI 9
track tape drives were flaky as hell.  Early mainframe computers were
used more for file sorting than anything else.  One reel of tape had
customer records.  A second drive had the day's accounts and a third
drive was the updated files.

   As far as union workers, you can have all of them you can stomach.
I'll take people who are hired for their skills and work ethics any day.

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Re: If you used discrete components how big would it be?

Hey Michael - didn't you see that I was just having a joke?  Though of course I
was
having a shot at union scumbags who would be happy to sit on their bums and wait

David

data

Re: If you used discrete components how big would it be?

I was
wait

   Unions are a sore spot with me.

  I worked at a unionized defense plant doing QA work which was a non
union job.  They were talking about striking when the president of the
union told me she would slash the tires on my car if I came in to work.
I smiled and told her I would gladly run over her in the parking lot if
I saw a her with a knife, and that I was spreading the word about the
threats.  Soldering was a union only job there.  The production
supervisor went to my boss one night and asked if he could "Borrow" me
for an hour or so.  I went to the rework area and saw the ladies trying
to solder the case of a large transformer to a circuit board used in the
PRC-77.  He told me they had spent four hours trying to do the repairs.
The union steward was standing there glaring at me. I asked if I was
allowed to show them the proper way to do the job.  They agreed so I did
the first one, then grinned at the production supervisor and said, I'm
only going to show them one more time as I did the second one.  The
union steward tried to have me fired.

   Several years later the IBEW tried to unionize the Cable TV company I
worked for.  They promised me $2 an hour less than I was making, three
weeks less vacation and all for around $200 a month in dues.  I told him
the owner would never allow a union, and I wasn't going to lose $4160 in
pay, pay another $2400 in dues and lose three weeks vacation that i
could sell back to the company.
--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Re: If you used discrete components how big would it be?

Some Unions may have retards in them but if it wasn't for unions you would
be working for peanuts in conditions that you wouldn't have animals living
in. The problem is I guess that Unions have obtained as much as they are
going to get in terms of conditions for the workers and they have to change
but I would still prefer an outdated Union then none at all.

And yes you may get more money now without the union but without unions you
wouldn't be in that position. People like you are just as bad as the
unionist you describe ie. you cant see past the end of your noses

Re: If you used discrete components how big would it be?

They all do.

Complete pig ignorant drivel.

More fool you.

Complete pig ignorant drivel. Most obviously with
the IT industry that never bothered with those fools.

You in spades. No surprise that you need a union.

Re: If you used discrete components how big would it be?

   Unions were effective about 100 years ago, before they were run by
lawyers nd criminals.

   Sorry, but when I was able to work it was high tech areas where they
had to pay to get good people.  Yes, unions got rid of sweat shops in
the US.  Now the jobs are in third world sweat shops.  I have seen
plants closed for good they day the workers signed their union papers,
and others come back to work for less money after a strike to keep their
jobs.  The workers at Cincinnati Electronics went out on strike.  The
owners built a new plant in Mexico and was going to send everything bu
QA and rework to the plant before the workers who managed to keep a job
cam back at half their former pay.  They also gave up their seniority
and health care.  Some union protection there!

   Microdyne workers voted in a union, kept it for about a year and
voted it out because it cost them money and delayed every dealing
between management and the employees.

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Re: If you used discrete components how big would it be?

They were run by both even then.

Re: If you used discrete components how big would it be?

   They weren't as blatant about it back then.  They tried to project a
benevolent image to the public to get the people to join.

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Re: If you used discrete components how big would it be?

Depends on the union. Plenty of criminals in the union during the
shearing strike of 1891, right thru to torching shearing sheds.

Some did, some didnt, just like now.

Re: If you used discrete components how big would it be?

True, and parliaments have never been effective, they have always been run
by lawyers and criminals.

What morons. The jobs will go to Mexico or China anyway.
I agree unions are now useless. As long as people are willing to be slaves,
there are plenty of people willing to take advantage of it.

MrT.

Re: If you used discrete components how big would it be?

   One of their demands when they walked out was a 50 percent raise.
There was over a 50% loss of jobs in Cincinnati before the smoke
cleared.

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Re: If you used discrete components how big would it be?

Yep, and it's happened even faster in non unionised factories.
If everyone worked for the same wages as the Chinese, there would be no loss
of factory jobs.
Are you prepared to work for 50c an hour?  Are the factory owners?

Mr.T.

Re: If you used discrete components how big would it be?

More than just useless, they are scumbags.

In the US back in the 20's and 30's there were protection rackets, where the
heavies visited places of business and demanded a cut of the take or the place
would be 'closed down'

Sadly here in Oz we had the same racket, but it was run by the union scumbags -
when my 15 yr old daughter wanted to work in a  supermarket, some union scum
insisted she hand over part of her wages each week, else she wouldn't be allowed
to work.

The same protection racket, just by a different name

David

Re: If you used discrete components how big would it be?

scumbags -
scum
allowed

That was John Howard and Peter Costello!

MrT.

Re: If you used discrete components how big would it be?

But what about the alternative - at present the union scum are trying to shut
down the clothing sweatshops - end result is that if they do then the workers
are out of a job, no pay, and perhaps unable to meet commitments.

The union scum that casue that misery though are still getting their pay packet
each week.

Unions just don't give a damn about the workers who want to work

David

:

Re: If you used discrete components how big would it be?

shut
workers

I'd rather that than work for 50c an hour in a high cost country like USA.
How about you? Happy to work in a sweatshop? Or are you a hypocrit?

packet

Bullshit, if all their members are out of work, who is paying their wages?
Look to the politicians if you want to see the real scum problem.

Very Funny!
The Multinational bosses do of course, but only if the peasants want to work
for 50c an hour while the bosses get a few million dollars a year!

MrT.

Re: If you used discrete components how big would it be?

The discrete transistor computers mostly
didnt do it that way, they used core instead.

Re: If you used discrete components how big would it be?

I've seen one of those(core memory modules) sitting in display cabinets in
the electrical department at our Uni(UWA). It is impressive to see
thousands of the little toroids threaded on equally thin wire.

--

Wing Wong.
Webpage: http://wing.ucc.asn.au

Re: If you used discrete components how big would it be?

Yeah, quite interesting technology.

Needed quite a bit of support transistors to drive it tho and
they were a real cow to maintain, setting the slice levels etc.

That was by far the most flakey part of the
computer proper, as opposed to the IO devices.

Real ram left it for dead maintenance wise.

The initial roms were basically big boards of discrete
diodes which you 'programmed' by cutting out the
diodes you didnt need with a pair of sidecutters.

Distinct improvement on toggling the boot loader in thru
the front panel switches tho. I used to have the PDP8
boot loader permanently engraved in my brain.

Some have been unkind enough to make snide remarks about that.

Site Timeline