IE9 does not run on Windows XP - Page 3

Re: IE9 does not run on Windows XP
no-cache")

Damn! I am going to have to complain to all those places like smh.com.au
and sales sites and to the makers of Dreamweaver which I used to make
dynamic sites. Even used Expression Web. I always thought that dynamic
content coming on over https and http were real. Now you tell me it was
all faked! I am so floored!

Re: IE9 does not run on Windows XP
Interestingly when you strip the microsoft browser from win7 it runs
much better

--

Re: IE9 does not run on Windows XP

better

I'm running w7, but if I were to strip IE out of it, what happens to apps that
are looking for IE?

Like Mick, I usually try IE, if FF appears to have a problem, but generally
don't find any real difference.

And when I wack web pages together, I always test on both FF and IE, and anyone
who doesn't, is asking for future problems.

Been doing this since I was in short pants. :-)

Cheers Don...

==================

--
Don McKenzie

Re: IE9 does not run on Windows XP
  like ?
  no problems so far although the updates are a little slow it still works
  I build the web pages using a non microsoft product and frankly if IE
falls over tough
  I did once but no longer give a shite
  reliase this win7 machine is a virtual and about the closest I get to
using their product

Re: IE9 does not run on Windows XP

:-)

I honestly haven't done a list, but Microsoft updates do at times, and I know
many posters could come up with a list.
Many "about" links also goto IE.

I know I get slightly pissed off when I magically jump to IE at times.

their product

OK, I am running the other way, w7pro with virtual xp. works for me.

BTW what ever happened to the simple old:
=========
READY
 >RUN_
=========

Cheers Don...

==================

--
Don McKenzie

Re: IE9 does not run on Windows XP
all the machines here run a  base which is free of microsoft
  Sun have an excellent virtual machine and apart from a couple of
specific programs bill aint needed here anymore

--

Re: IE9 does not run on Windows XP
month:http://www.dontronics-shop.com/minus-5-every-month.htmlhttp://www.dontronics-shop.com/ics.html

Interesting when I look up web stats there are more people using IE that
Firefox.

Re: IE9 does not run on Windows XP

month:http://www.dontronics-shop.com/minus-5-every-month.htmlhttp://www.dontronics-shop.com/ics.html

Not surprising really. The bulk of users are plug and play. Those not
involved in technical work are not motivated to learn, seek and download
something better. Same as most people are not interested in lifting the
bonnet on their car.

Re: IE9 does not run on Windows XP

Firefox.

that may depend on which set of stats you look at
http://www.dontronics-shop.com /

Browsers    Grabber    Hits    Percent
Firefox        No    232394    40.6 %
MS Internet Explorer    No    193424    33.7 %
Google Chrome    No    85254    14.8 %
Opera        No    26632    4.6 %
Safari        No    22888    3.9 %
Mozilla        No    9353    1.6 %
Unknown        ?    1310    0.2 %
Netscape    No    575    0.1 %
Epiphany    No    212    0 %

Cheers Don...

========================

--
Don McKenzie

Re: IE9 does not run on Windows XP

interesting that it varies so much my site is not a technical site

50.8 IE
21  FF

Re: IE9 does not run on Windows XP

almost verifies what Dennis #1 said.

Cheers Don...

====================

--
Don McKenzie

Dontronics Blog:     http://www.dontronics.com/blog
Re: IE9 does not run on Windows XP

How's these stats.  Off an image data base.

Windows XP 15481 (47.4 %)

Windows 7 5289 (16.2 %)

Macintosh 5177 (15.8 %)

Windows Vista     4694 (14.3 %)

Windows 1329 (4.0 %)

Unknown 511 (1.5 %)

Windows 2003 Server 70 (0.2 %)

Windows 2000 35 (0.1 %)

Windows 98 10 (0.0 %)

iPhone  3 (0.0 %)

IE8 11603 (35.5 %)

Firefox  8177 (25.0 %)

IE7 5492 (16.8 %)

Safari  3183 (9.7 %)

Chrome  2671 (8.1 %)

IE6  1208 (3.7 %)

Unknown  139 (0.4 %)

Opera  87 (0.2 %)

IE5.5  24 (0.0 %)

IE5.0  8 (0.0 %)

Flock  4 (0.0 %)

iPhone  3 (0.0 %)

Re: IE9 does not run on Windows XP
here is a list of major Firefox bugs that Mazilla has not fixed.

Add-ons Blocklist

This page lists blocklisted add-ons that should no longer be used with
Mozilla products.

    * McAfee Site Advisor, versions below 3.3.1 for Firefox 4. Reason:
incompatibility breaks core Firefox features (see bug 637542)
    * RelevantKnowledge, version 1.3.328.4 and below for Firefox.
Reason: high crash volume (see bug 615518)
    * Java 2 Plugin v1.5_00-1.6_99. Reason: These versions of the Java
plugin are no longer supported by Oracle and cause severe stability
issues for Firefox 3.6 and later (see bug 634639)
    * Bandoo, version 5.0 for Firefox 3.6a1pre and higher. Reason:
high crash volume (see bug 629634)
    * Shopper Reports, version 3.1.22.0 for all applications. Reason:
high crash volume (see bug 630191)
    * Browser Update, all versions. Reason: spyware/adware with no
user value masquerading as a Firefox update (see bug 629717)
    * Skype extension, versions below 5.2.0.7165 for Firefox. Reason:
high volume of crashes and severe performance issues. Please update to
the latest version. For more information, please read our
announcement.
    * Bing Bar for Firefox. Reason: security issue, blocked at
Microsoft's request (see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2430460 ).
    * Default Manager, v2.2 for Firefox. Reason: security issue,
blocked at Microsoft's request (see
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2430460 ).
    * Search Helper Extension, v1.0 for Firefox. Reason: security
issue, blocked at Microsoft's request (see
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2430460 ).
    * Internet Download Manager, v2.1-3.3 for Firefox 3.0a1 and newer.
Reason: caused startup crashes (see bug 382356).
    * Free Download Manager, v1.0-1.3.1 for Firefox 3.0a1 and newer.
Reason: high crash volume (see bug 408445).
    * Yahoo Application State Plugin, v1.0.0.5 and older for Firefox
3.0a1 and newer. Reason: high crash volume (see bug 419127).
    * Vietnamese Language Pack, v2.0 for all applications. Reason:
corrupted files (see bug 432406).
    * Apple QuickTime Plugin, v7.1.*, for all Firefox 3 versions on
Windows. Reason: remote code execution in multiple versions (see bug
430826).
    * Crawler Toolbar, for Firefox 3.0a1 and newer. Reason: high crash
volume (see bug 441649).
    * Daemon Tools Toolbar, versions older than 1.0.0.5, for all
applications. Reason: high crash volume (see bug 459850).
    * AVG SafeSearch, versions older than 8.5, for all applications.
Reason: high crash volume and stability issues (see bug 527135).
    * Enigmail, versions older than 0.97a, for Thunderbird 3.0pre and
newer. Reason: high crash volume and other stability issues (see bug
531047). Users should update Enigmail.
    * YSlow, version 2.0.5, for Firefox 3.5.7 and newer. Reason: high
crash volume and other stability issues (see bug 542686). Users should
update to YSlow 2.0.6.
    * Viewpoint Media Player, all versions, for Firefox 3.0 and newer.
Reason: vendor claims incompatibility with 3.0+, high crash volume and
other stability issues (see bug 539282). For more information, visit
the vendor page.
    * Java Deployment Toolkit, versions 6.0.200.0 and older. Reason:
security vulnerabilities (see bug 558584). For more information, visit
the vendor page.
    * Internet Download Manager, versions 6.9.8 and older, for Firefox
3.7a1pre and newer. Reason: high crash volume and other stability
issues (see bug 578443).

Re: IE9 does not run on Windows XP

It seems you're confused.

Everything you listed is an add-on to Firefox developed by third
parties.  It's /not/ up to Mozilla to fix these add-ons, but the people
developing them.  Half of them just recommended updating to the latest
version, which FF usually does automatically anyway.

(I hope you didn't spend too long digging this up.)

--
Usenet Improvement Project: http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org /

Re: IE9 does not run on Windows XP

No! The list is from Mozzilla itself.

It highlights the fact that Mozilla can't write compatible code.

It is up to mozilla to write compatible code.

Re: IE9 does not run on Windows XP
  comparable with nothing considered std in the industry , I guess you
mean the shite m/s tries to use instead of industry std which smacks of
empire building

Re: IE9 does not run on Windows XP

Why does Mozzila keep making Firefox updates that break formally
working add ons? Is it deliberate or they just incompetent?
Why does Firefox ignore some links forcing us to go to IE?

Re: IE9 does not run on Windows XP

Because everyone tests their web site with IE, and most dont bother to see if it
works with Firefox.

Re: IE9 does not run on Windows XP

it works with Firefox.

You are very correct Rod, I'm sure that is what they do.

Strangely, I do it the other way, always test on FF, then goto IE before
publishing.

But I'm a Dinosaur. Dead ugly too!

Cheers Don...

=======================

--
Don McKenzie

Dontronics Blog:     http://www.GodzillaSeaMonkey.com
Re: IE9 does not run on Windows XP

I just test with FF and don't bother with IE and no one has complained.

IE does some strange things with the font sizes which you have to be
careful, but something tells me that current versions have that sorted.

I work with Dreamweaver and that's mostly clean and works with most
popular browsers.

Site Timeline