IC Pin-width Pin Headers

I often find myself making and buying boards to fit into IC
soctets. Usually these use pin headers, but the standard pin
width is too thick to fit into machined pin IC sockets, tends
to damage the other (cheap) IC sockets, and can be unreliable
in ZIF sockets.

Pin width doesn't seem to be a commonly varied specification of
pin headers. Does anyone know where I could buy pin header
strips with IC socket compatible pins?

--
__          __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: IC Pin-width Pin Headers

Nothing? I've got some solderable plugs that fit in a DIP16 socket,
suitable for wiring resistors between pins. Can you still get them?

Picture coming.

--
__          __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: IC Pin-width Pin Headers

http://s8.postimg.org/qhllua9vp/P1010166_crop.jpg

--
__          __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: IC Pin-width Pin Headers

Is this what you are looking for?

https://www.jameco.com/shop/keyword=Dip-Header

https://www.arieselec.com/products/data/16004-program-header.htm

Re: IC Pin-width Pin Headers

Yes! Thanks. Not cheap, but now that I know what I'm looking for I
can shop around.

This looks to be the product I was after:
https://www.arieselec.com/products/data/12032-dip-header.htm

And with a little more hunting around that site, I found the pin
header strips that I was after in the first place:
https://www.arieselec.com/products/data/12034-strip-line-header.htm

Many thanks.

--
__          __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: IC Pin-width Pin Headers

No worries.

Re: IC Pin-width Pin Headers

They look interesting, but I'm looking for something where the pins
are self-supporting like a pin header, so that wires can be connected
directly to them, as well as circuit boards.

It did lead me to this review though:
http://blog.tynemouthsoftware.co.uk/2017/02/flip-pins-review.html

Which noted that I might be looking for "pin strips", which it turns
out, unlike pin headers, do come in a small range of different pin
diameters (and spacings). More hunting and I found that the 350 series
made by this mob:
http://www.precidip.com/

They have small enough pins (0.4mm), and the right spacing. However I
havent put the time into finding a good supplier yet. RS have these
from the 850 series:
https://au.rs-online.com/web/p/pcb-pin-socket-strips/7020168/

They'd work if I cut off every second pin. The price is right, and
I getting pretty sick of searching for these (the bloody things all
look the same in the pictures), so unless I get more energy or
suggestions, I might just go with those.

--
__          __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: IC Pin-width Pin Headers

I tried trimming down the end of one of mine, and even with the plastic
right at the end of the metal contacts the fit is still loose. There's
even a bit of wiggle room with one chip (the pin widths do seem to vary
slightly between ICs).

Even if there are some available with contacts close enough together
to work with ICs, I expect they'd get bent back the first time a pin
header was inserted, just like the dual-wipe type IC sockets do.

--
__          __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: IC Pin-width Pin Headers

chips are shipped with the pins splayed by about 10 degrees total,
this could give enougfh spring for short-term reliability if the
sockets are parallel,

Re: IC Pin-width Pin Headers

That might make for firmer contact to the plastic body but I'm not
convinced it would make for reliable electrical contact because the pins
themselves are still too narrow and too shallow.

I have explored this before but abandoned the idea and made up some
adapters.

Re: IC Pin-width Pin Headers

get machined pin headers

Re: IC Pin-width Pin Headers

Thanks, I eventually discovered that they were what I was looking
for, now I'm just looking for a good supplier for ones that have
the same pin width and spacing of DIP ICs. As I said in another
post, I may just buy some I found with half the pin spacing
required and snip off every second pin.

--

Site Timeline