I can't get free to air TV

Howdy Folks,

I have a problem. I have a country property and where the house is sited I can't get reception. I have had Austar for about 8 years now but I'm sick of it. I seem to be paying good money to watch ads. I reckon I can get a good signal from elsewhere on the property and I was thinking along the lines of a solar powered retransmitting station redirected back to the house.

Can this be done legally and what equipment would you suggest.

Cheers to all,

Rod

Reply to
kandiman

"kandiman"

** This problem is sometimes solved with a " passive repeater".

In your case, you will need two high gain UHF TV antennas. One mounted high on a hill top pointing at the transmitters, the other sited down the hillside say 50 metres distant and pointed at the house. The two are then coupled with low loss co-ax. Try to have the antennas pointing in opposite directions.

If the signal is still not quite strong enough, a masthead booster can be fitted to the hill top antenna.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Can be done easily , it may require a power source if the signal is marginal , I suggest you enquire on whirlpool.net

Reply to
atec77

Why not free to air satellite?

Might be the cheapest and most effective option... and if Austar happened to leave their equipment behind all you'd need is an Optus card. :)

--
John H
Reply to

Good thought ,

Reply to
atec77

Thank you all for your responses.

I had thought of a non passive setup originally like the two aerial setup only with a translator to increase the frequency.

I have heard the free to air satellite is mainly religious channels. I'm going to try the passive setup Phil suggested first and see how that goes. I'll check out the whirlpool site as well.

Thanks.

Reply to
kandiman