HV Cap NEEDED for TV!

Anyone...

I am looking for a 103J 2.0KV Cap (Blue - from near the flyback
transformer) for my TV. I have let the popcorn-smoke out of mine and
can't find any quick drop in places to pick one up. There are a few
component places who have them mail order but I need to have a minimum
order $$$$ and high shipping costs just for one component...

At this stage I am scouring the hard rubbish collections for dead TV's
and taking a hammer to them to see if there are any inside.

If anyone has any suggestions or has this 50cent component laying around
I'll happily chuck a couple of bucks for postage to save me the trouble
of my smash and grab approach.

Thanx.

Chris

Re: HV Cap NEEDED for TV!

Almost all TV repairers would stock, and sell you one over the counter at a
reasonable cost, failing that WES components stock both 2kV & 6kV from
memory (which is where almost all TV repairers would have got them from in
the first place)....but if you don't want to pay more for postage than the
component cost that option is out.

James

Re: HV Cap NEEDED for TV!

I rang a few TV repair places and asked for the caps.... The gave me the
runaround and said that I should bring the TV into them.  They wouldn't
make any money just selling me a couple of caps. They want the $60+
labour charge to do 2 minutes of soldering.

I have had good response to my plight and I thank to people who have
helped me out....

Chris.

Re: HV Cap NEEDED for TV!

Good to hear you got what you were after. On the flip side the repairers you
called obviously aren't trying to win more work. More often than not a
person will return to a place where they have recieved a helpful repsonse
previously.

James

Re: HV Cap NEEDED for TV!

1. Liability. If you kill yourself installing this cap, they may be liable.
2. Repair does not consist of just changing the cap. I, for example, would
check the TV and fix any common problem your particular chassis may have,
preventing failure of something else in the near future. If  fix the TV, no
matter how simple problem is, I have to give warranty. Hence is the charge.

Thsi is common -- TV repaireres will not normally sell parts. It is not
their business.
And as for returning customer -- I will not want to fix a TV for someone who
tried to fix it himself (no offence, James).  Or wil fix it at extra charge.
Few reasons for it and it is not because I just want to punish the customer.
Mainly because it is virtually guaranteed I will spend more time on it.

Rudolf

Re: HV Cap NEEDED for TV!

Fixing something that (especially a non-professional) has "had a go
with" is a nightmare. If parts have been changed, it might not be
possible to determine if they have been replaced with the same values,
and if you can't see or test the original part, it can be much harder
to determine the original fault(s), or what caused them in the first
place.  Bodgy testing or component replacement can even create more
faults.

The other reason that they wouldnt want to sell components, is, you
replace a part without replacing whatever made it fail in the first
place, it fails again, the customer is likely to take it back to the
TV repair shop and expect some sort of warranty.  This could be a
quite expensive exercise for something like a horizontal output
transistor that is replaced without replacing faulty HT cap, eht
transformer etc that caused it to fail, and will make it fail again.

Re: HV Cap NEEDED for TV!

It's not a problem for DSE, Jaycar etc. They simply refuse to replace used
semiconductors.
You can test it before soldering if you have the appropriate test equipment.

MrT.

Re: HV Cap NEEDED for TV!

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 11:15:06 +1000, "Rudolf"

Come on, that's absurd.

- Franc Zabkar

Re: HV Cap NEEDED for TV!

 Do you want to take a risk? I will not.