humax digital set top box cant pick up ch 7

Here is a strange one for you.

About a year ago I bought a Humax standard definition set top box. Worked fine for a good few months. I was very impressed with how well it picked up the channels. Only a couple of inches of bare wire would suffice for an aerial that would pick up most channels 99% of the time!!

Anyway about 3 months ago it would not pick up channel 7 any more. Not at all. Not one quarter of a second of it. Nothing! Nothing changed in my stereo setup. It just would not work any more.

All other channels are picture perfect. I didn't think much of it at the time and just switched back to normal TV as I didn't think it was a fault with the Humax unit. I thought it might be the rooftop antenna getting a little rusty or something....

Anyway today I tried to tackle the problem head on. I was tired of switching from the TV tuner to the DSTB when watching 7. I took out all coax splitters and connectors that would be suspected of degrading the signal. Still no channel 7. Not even a hint of it.

The TV picks up channel 7 with its internal regular tuner, and all other channels just fine. It is a good antenna on the roof, with a good amount of signal on all channels......

All digital channels work just fine except for any channel that comes from the 7 studios. So I cant see the 7 guide channel, nor can I see 7Digital 1,

7Digital 2 nor 7Digital 3.

So what gives? Did channel 7 decide to change their format or something? This is really annoying me!! By the way I purchased the DSTB at HiFi supermarket which has now closed down!!!!

help!

PS, I also tried resetting the DSTB and doing a re-search of channels. After the search completes, the menu shows that it has found channel 7 and all of its variants, but it just won't show them!! The message is "no or bad signal".

I will now try to find some new firmware for the unit. (it has a serial port for this I think) But I didnt think that would be necessary, and playing with firmware downloads in my situation is a bit dangerous I think with no warranty or anything.

Cheers, Phil

Reply to
Phil in Melbourne

"Phil in Melbourne"

** You will HAVE to get ( beg, buy or borrow) another SB and try it in your system.

ONLY then can you establish whether it is an antenna issue or not.

BTW 1

First make sure that there is no channel "lock out" set in your STB blocking

7 digital.

BTW 2

7 digital uses the frequencies of analogue channel 6.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

did you happen to run re-installation setup recently. might need to re-scan the channels again//

i had to do this earlier this year on a pyrod $70 job.

Reply to
Matt2 - Amstereo

Yes, at the end of the post I wrote:

I also tried resetting the DSTB and doing a re-search of channels. After the search completes, the menu shows that it has found channel 7 and all of its variants, but it just won't show them!! The message is "no or bad signal".

Reply to
Phil in Melbourne

"Phil in Melbourne"

** You should have posted the model number.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

what signal level is it offering ?

Reply to
atec77

Model number is F2-1010T

-Phil

Reply to
Phil in Melbourne

There is a bar graph on the bottom of the screen. It's about 70 to 80%. About the same as the other channels.

-Phil

Reply to
Phil in Melbourne

"Phil in Melbourne" >

** See page GB24 of the manual under

" Delete a Service ".

That red " i " button is a menace.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Update:

I have downloaded new firmware from the humax website and channel 7 now works fine.

After making a female to female cable with pins 2 and 3 crossed over, and after scratching my head for a while wondering why the humax downloader program doesnt want to download, I managed to successfully download new firmware and the problem has disappeared!!

The website does not show the fact that you have to turn off the power to the DSTB at the wall, then turn it on again to accept the download. The website just shows using the standby button on the face of the unit (which did not work for me)

Setting it from standby to on does not activate the download. I only stumbled across it by chance when I bumped the power cable out.

Sorry Phil Allison, I dont have the manual in front of me. What does it say about the red i button?

-Phil

Reply to
Phil in Melbourne

"Phil in Melbourne"

** Go find it or download from the Humax site like I did.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Cheers, I downloaded it and had a look at page 24. I wonder if that is what it was. I don't think so because the channel was actually there, it just didnt want to be picked up.

Anyway, all fixed now.

-P

Reply to
Phil in Melbourne

"Phil in Melbourne"

** Test it - instead of guessing.

** The hard way .

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I did and it does not delete anything. But that might be something fixed up within the new firmware....but I dunno now that I have overwritten the old firmware.

Cheers, Phil

Reply to
Phil in Melbourne

Not necessarily, the new firmware may provide other benefits as well.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T