HPM inline power socket - Page 2

Re: HPM inline power socket
Stupider than Anyone Else

** Waste of time with those pricks.

The product has been safety approved by a government sanctioned testing and
approvals lab -  probably in China.

Only thing an ordinary citizen could do is have a lab here in Australia look
at it and get their opinion on whether it passes  the Australian standards -
then ( assuming it is negative) show that info to Fair Trading and the
minister too.

....  Phil

Re: HPM inline power socket

Could be. They got back to me, and asked for a bit more information, but
I'm not holding my breath.

Oh well, I've done as much as I can reasonably be expected to do on
seeing a safety issue.

Sylvia.

Re: HPM inline power socket

If you were the average consumer, they would probably ignore, on the
basis that you weren't
qualified to wire it. ?

Re: HPM inline power socket

In what sense qualified? In NSW any consumer is permitted to attach a
socket to a cable as long as the cable is not part of fixed wiring. If
anything, this makes it even more of a safety issue. It should be
possible to achieve a safe attachment by following the instructions. It
is not.

Sylvia.

Re: HPM inline power socket

I wasnt aware of that.  Its illegal in QLD to do anything like that.

Re: HPM inline power socket

"kreed"

I wasnt aware of that.  Its illegal in QLD to do anything like that.

** No it isn't.

.....  Phil

Re: HPM inline power socket

It may be. I've been looking at the legislation, starting with

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/qld/consol_act/esa2002169/s55.html

and so far I haven't found any way to avoid the need for a licence to so
much as attach a plug to an appliance.

The legislation is so restrictive, they even needed a special subsection
to allow people to install things that plug into mains outlets:

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/qld/consol_act/esa2002169/s18.html

"2) However, the following are not electrical work--

     (a) installing or removing electrical equipment by connecting it to
electricity, or disconnecting it from electricity, by a plug and socket
outlet"

So QLD's another state I won't be moving to.

Sylvia.

Re: HPM inline power socket

"Sylvia Else is an INSANE TROLL "

** Go drop dead.

... Phil

Re: HPM inline power socket

For crying out loud Phil. What's the problem?

You can look at it, and either say, "No, see XYZ", or you can say "Seems
so, stupid nanny state." Neither outcome reflects on your masculinity,
or anything else that you might hold dear.

But instead, your become abusive. It makes no sense.

Sylvia.

Re: HPM inline power socket

Since I'm in the mood for it, let's examine the QLD law a bit.

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/qld/consol_act/esa2002169/s55.html

"(3) A person is not required under subsection (1) to hold an electrical
work licence for the purpose of the following--
     (c) performance or supervision of remote rural installation work;"

Apparently even a nanny state can recognise that you can't expect
someone to try to call out a sparky to replace a lamp socket when
they're 500km from the nearest town.

Mind you, "remote rural installation work" is defined in the dictionary

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/qld/consol_act/esa2002169/sch2.html

as

"remote rural installation work means work on an electrical installation
if all the following circumstances apply--

     (d) a person holding an appropriate electrical work licence is not
available to perform the work because of the remote location of the farm
or grazing property."

So before you get to work replacing that lamp socket on your remote
rural property, you have to ponder the question of whether a sparky is
"available". In practice, whether one's available is just going to
depend on how much you're willing to pay.

Mind you, that's not your only problem. You're allowed to work an a
remote rural installation without a licence, but an item is part of an
installation only if it is permanently connected to it. So you can put
that cable down - it's no use to you. You can't trim the insulation off
the wire until it's connected to the installation, and you obviously
can't connect it until you've trimmed the insulation off.

Just gotta love nanny state governments.

Sylvia.

Re: HPM inline power socket

It is all hypothetical anyway.
Plenty do their own electrical work, and ignore the law. It has been a
long time since I have heard of a prosecution in the media, and in
these cases only because there was a death by electrocution.

In my area there is a guy openly doing electrical work without any
licence or electrical contractors license,
even in commercial premises, for cash in hand.  Most of the fittings
come from the rubbish tip sale or second hand stores
by the look of it.

His only experience before that was lawn mowing. (probably more money
in that these days).

The standards of training are a worry too, A friend of mine did a test
and tag license course (this allows you to only
do tools and equipment of your own) and they spent a day being
trained.  2 of the more ridiculous statements made by the "teacher"
was
that any 3 phase circuit has 3 phases and 3 neutrals, and that on
double insulated items, you megger test from active to neutral

This caused a lot of confusion including me being asked where these 6
wires went when a 3 phase plug only had 5 pins,
which led to me being asked and shown this bodgy course material.

I was thinking of doing it, just to see this circus for myself.

Re: HPM inline power socket

There's a limitation period

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/qld/consol_act/esa2002169/s187.html

and it will not normally be possible to determine when the offence
actually took place, if no one admits to having committed it.

... of the more ridiculous statements made by the "teacher"
 > active to neutral

Sheesh - who pays for the damage?

Sylvia.

Re: HPM inline power socket

 How do you know?

I hate to say but I think you are wrong. The head of the screw always screws
down on to the clamp. Gives more surface area on the clamp for a start. And
for the life of me how do you get a driver into the head when it's
underneath the clamp without taking it all apart. Did you show HPM your
little piccy? What was their comment? DFT won't be much help as all HPM
stuff is submitted for test by the ASA. If they say OK then my friend it's
OK. Have you thought that the little chinaman on assembly got it wrong. I
believe if you really had shown HPM that plug top in that state they would
be on to it like a rocket.

Re: HPM inline power socket

There's a hole there for the purpose.

None yet.

It's possible that the design has been subtlely modified since it was
approved, or the component is just not manufactured in accordance with
the approval. For example, it would probably work better if the square
clamp were a tighter fit so that it didn't rotate so much and leave so
much of the conductor exposed.

 > If they say OK then my friend it's

Oh ye of little faith.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/sylviae/hpmSocketInstructions.jpg

Sylvia.

Re: HPM inline power socket

and the corners sqare and not rounded.

 > > If they say OK then my friend it's

Alright I was wrong. I saw the piccy and assumed it was a plug top. No
excuse but hope you will understand. At least I didn't blow my top and
called you all of the usual explitives. The design has been changed on some
makes to a tunnel with a screw. Apologies to all. I would love to know what
HPM or whoever owns them these days has to say.

Rgds.....

Re: HPM inline power socket

A tunnel with a screw has always seemed the best solution, though I've
seen implementations where the screw is too narrow, which can be a pain.

I don't know why the regulators permit anything else.

Sylvia.

Re: HPM inline power socket
That coppery looking bit has the thread in it so it would not work your way.

Re: HPM inline power socket

Correct. Good example of foot in mouth

Re: HPM inline power socket

I made representations to Fair Trading, and they raises the issue with
HPM. It appears my view has been accepted, and the product design will
be changed.

Sylvia.

Re: HPM inline power socket

Wow.