HPM inline power socket

In what sense qualified? In NSW any consumer is permitted to attach a socket to a cable as long as the cable is not part of fixed wiring. If anything, this makes it even more of a safety issue. It should be possible to achieve a safe attachment by following the instructions. It is not.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

There's a hole there for the purpose.

None yet.

It's possible that the design has been subtlely modified since it was approved, or the component is just not manufactured in accordance with the approval. For example, it would probably work better if the square clamp were a tighter fit so that it didn't rotate so much and leave so much of the conductor exposed.

Oh ye of little faith.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

and the corners sqare and not rounded.

Alright I was wrong. I saw the piccy and assumed it was a plug top. No excuse but hope you will understand. At least I didn't blow my top and called you all of the usual explitives. The design has been changed on some makes to a tunnel with a screw. Apologies to all. I would love to know what HPM or whoever owns them these days has to say.

Rgds.....

Reply to
Metro

A tunnel with a screw has always seemed the best solution, though I've seen implementations where the screw is too narrow, which can be a pain.

I don't know why the regulators permit anything else.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

estion

.

ut

I wasnt aware of that. Its illegal in QLD to do anything like that.

Reply to
kreed

"kreed"

I wasnt aware of that. Its illegal in QLD to do anything like that.

** No it isn't.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

It may be. I've been looking at the legislation, starting with

and so far I haven't found any way to avoid the need for a licence to so much as attach a plug to an appliance.

The legislation is so restrictive, they even needed a special subsection to allow people to install things that plug into mains outlets:

"2) However, the following are not electrical work--

(a) installing or removing electrical equipment by connecting it to electricity, or disconnecting it from electricity, by a plug and socket outlet"

So QLD's another state I won't be moving to.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

"Sylvia Else is an INSANE TROLL "

** Go drop dead.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

For crying out loud Phil. What's the problem?

You can look at it, and either say, "No, see XYZ", or you can say "Seems so, stupid nanny state." Neither outcome reflects on your masculinity, or anything else that you might hold dear.

But instead, your become abusive. It makes no sense.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

That coppery looking bit has the thread in it so it would not work your way.

Reply to
F Murtz

Since I'm in the mood for it, let's examine the QLD law a bit.

"(3) A person is not required under subsection (1) to hold an electrical work licence for the purpose of the following-- ... (c) performance or supervision of remote rural installation work;"

Apparently even a nanny state can recognise that you can't expect someone to try to call out a sparky to replace a lamp socket when they're 500km from the nearest town.

Mind you, "remote rural installation work" is defined in the dictionary

as

"remote rural installation work means work on an electrical installation if all the following circumstances apply-- ...

(d) a person holding an appropriate electrical work licence is not available to perform the work because of the remote location of the farm or grazing property."

So before you get to work replacing that lamp socket on your remote rural property, you have to ponder the question of whether a sparky is "available". In practice, whether one's available is just going to depend on how much you're willing to pay.

Mind you, that's not your only problem. You're allowed to work an a remote rural installation without a licence, but an item is part of an installation only if it is permanently connected to it. So you can put that cable down - it's no use to you. You can't trim the insulation off the wire until it's connected to the installation, and you obviously can't connect it until you've trimmed the insulation off.

Just gotta love nanny state governments.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

rk;"

not

It is all hypothetical anyway. Plenty do their own electrical work, and ignore the law. It has been a long time since I have heard of a prosecution in the media, and in these cases only because there was a death by electrocution.

In my area there is a guy openly doing electrical work without any licence or electrical contractors license, even in commercial premises, for cash in hand. Most of the fittings come from the rubbish tip sale or second hand stores by the look of it.

His only experience before that was lawn mowing. (probably more money in that these days).

The standards of training are a worry too, A friend of mine did a test and tag license course (this allows you to only do tools and equipment of your own) and they spent a day being trained. 2 of the more ridiculous statements made by the "teacher" was that any 3 phase circuit has 3 phases and 3 neutrals, and that on double insulated items, you megger test from active to neutral

This caused a lot of confusion including me being asked where these 6 wires went when a 3 phase plug only had 5 pins, which led to me being asked and shown this bodgy course material.

I was thinking of doing it, just to see this circus for myself.

Reply to
kreed

Correct. Good example of foot in mouth

Reply to
Metro

There's a limitation period

and it will not normally be possible to determine when the offence actually took place, if no one admits to having committed it.

... of the more ridiculous statements made by the "teacher"

Sheesh - who pays for the damage?

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

in

.

p the

Small correction FWIW.

I said in my previous post that they came with a white body and a clear plastic back. While looking around for a mains cord in my junk box, I found another

418 today on a used cord that had a clear body AND clear back.
Reply to
kreed

Reply to
Metro

: :Any recommendation as to an in-line socket I can get instead? :

I prefer the Clipsal range when it comes to extension cords sockets and adaptors.

The old grey 438/110 extn cord socket is reliable and easy to terminate.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

Thansk for the info.

Don't show that to Phil - he'll freak out at the quality of the photographs.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

I made representations to Fair Trading, and they raises the issue with HPM. It appears my view has been accepted, and the product design will be changed.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Wow.