HPM/clipsal fan speed controllers

Howdy guys,

I have a Comair Rotron Tarzan fan which has a permanent split capacitor style motor that I would like to speed control. The "fan controllers" from HPM/Clipsal, will they work with a permanent split capacitor style motor? The web sites of the two vendors are pathetic. Googling did mention phased controlled triacs will work on a PSC motor, but of course I can find no mention of the hpm/clipsal offerings,

thanks for any help,

Regards, Mark

Reply to
Mark Hathaway

G'day Clipsal also make a light dimmer which is also suitable for fan control, I dont have the exact make and model. The capacitive ones are currently the most common and its what ceiling fans tend to come with, but they also cause a lot of TV and radio interference when switching - they're quite shocking actually. The older ones used to use multi tapped inductors which are much larger physically - older houses often still have them in every room.

Basically they are all voltage controllers, because of the speed/torque characteristics of a fan you can vary the speed by changing the voltage

- you dont need to go to the expense of a VFD. With reduced voltage the slip in teh motor increases which slows it down, but makes the rotor hotter and the whole thing becomes very inefficient. If the motor isn't designed for this it may overheat.

a normal ceiling fan is only about 80 or 90 VA, so if your fan is larger the normal fan controllers may not work for too long.

I know this doesn't directly answer your question but hopefully it might help you find it. Cheers

Reply to
j.l