HP Laserjet 1020 printer

Hi, From the day I bought it, my Laserjet 1020 has made a fairly loud clunk-clunk-clunk noise while the paper feed rollers are rotating. Apart from that, it works perfectly OK. Does anyone else here have one of these printers, and does it also make that annoying noise? Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

"Bob Parker"

** Must be Bill & Dave turning in their graves...

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Bob Parker hath wroth:

I have several located at various customers. Hardly any noise when printing. Something is wrong with yours. My guess(tm) is that the noise is coming from the toner cartridge. See if you can borrow a different cartridge for testing. You can sometimes isolate the source of the noise with a stethoscope.

Also see:

HP printer forums

HP IT Resources (See printers forum)

Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

comp.periphs.printers comp.sys.hp.hardware

Reply to
Allodoxaphobia

Thanks for all the info Jeff. That's exactly what I wanted to know. Much appreciated!

Cheers Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

From having their logo which used to signify top quality professional test gear stuck on cheap Chinese printers...?

Reply to
Bob Parker

"Bob Parker" "Phil Allison"

** As the popular, modern Greek / Australian philosopher, Effie would say:

" How embarrassment ..... "

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Know what you mean. :-)

For the edification of anyone reading this, I tore the printer apart and found the culprit: a missing tooth on the plastic gear which drives the paper output rollers. To replace it, the nice HP people would like me to replace the entire fuser assembly it's part of (slightly cheaper than a new printer). Stupid me waited until the warranty expired before I checked it, didn't I? But it still works OK, so I can't complain.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

Try for another printer to rob parts from?

--
 _____                     _    _
|_   _|                   | |  | |
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Homer J Simpson

You can fix the gear if its easy enough to take out. Clean off any grease with a solvent that won't attack the material the gear is made of (who knows what that might be). Denatured alcohol should be OK. Fill in the "blank spot" with a good epoxy or JB weld. Let it cure for a copule days and hand cut a new tooth into the epoxy with miniature "jewelers" files. Might take a while but it can be done.

Reply to
boardjunkie

Not a bad idea. I can't afford to have the printer unusable for amount of time it would take to try the idea of creating a new tooth from epoxy. :-( Thanks!

Reply to
Bob Parker

Look on Freecycle and Craig's List.

or