HP Laserjet 1020 printer

   From the day I bought it, my Laserjet 1020 has made a fairly loud
clunk-clunk-clunk noise while the paper feed rollers are rotating.
Apart from that, it works perfectly OK.
   Does anyone else here have one of these printers, and does it also
make that annoying noise?

Bob

Re: HP Laserjet 1020 printer

"Bob Parker"

**  Must be Bill & Dave  turning in their graves...

......  Phil

Re: HP Laserjet 1020 printer

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 23:53:23 +1000, "Phil Allison"

From having their logo which used to signify top quality professional
test gear stuck on cheap Chinese printers...?

Re: HP Laserjet 1020 printer

"Bob Parker"
 "Phil Allison"

**  As the popular, modern Greek / Australian philosopher, Effie would say:

   "  How embarrassment   ..... "

........  Phil

Re: HP Laserjet 1020 printer

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 20:54:01 +1000, "Phil Allison"

   Know what you mean. :-)

   For the edification of anyone reading this, I tore the printer
apart and found the culprit: a missing tooth on the plastic gear which
drives the paper output rollers.
   To replace it, the nice HP people would like me to replace the
entire fuser assembly it's part of (slightly cheaper than a new
printer). Stupid me waited until the warranty expired before I checked
it, didn't I?
   But it still works OK, so I can't complain.

Bob

Re: HP Laserjet 1020 printer

Try for another printer to rob parts from?

--
 _____                     _    _
|_   _|                   | |  | |

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 17:52:03 GMT, "Homer J Simpson"

   Not a bad idea. I can't afford to have the printer unusable for
amount of time it would take to try the idea of creating a new tooth
from epoxy. :-(
   Thanks!

Re: HP Laserjet 1020 printer

Look on Freecycle and Craig's List.

http://freecycle.org /

or

http://www.craigslist.org /

--

Re: HP Laserjet 1020 printer

You can fix the gear if its easy enough to take out. Clean off any
grease with a solvent that won't attack the material the gear is made
of (who knows what that might be). Denatured alcohol should be OK. Fill
in the "blank spot" with a good epoxy or JB weld. Let it cure for a
copule days and hand cut a new tooth into the epoxy with miniature
"jewelers" files. Might take a while but it can be done.

Re: HP Laserjet 1020 printer

I have several located at various customers.  Hardly any noise when
printing.  Something is wrong with yours.  My guess(tm) is that the
noise is coming from the toner cartridge.  See if you can borrow a
different cartridge for testing.  You can sometimes isolate the source
of the noise with a stethoscope.

Also see:
  http://www.fixyourownprinter.com

  HP printer forums
  http://www.tek-tips.com/threadminder.cfm?pid69%7

  HP IT Resources (See printers forum)

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/categoryhome.do?categoryId21%9
  http://itrc.hp.com

--
Jeff Liebermann     snipped-for-privacy@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
Re: HP Laserjet 1020 printer

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 09:23:47 -0700, Jeff Liebermann

Thanks for all the info Jeff. That's exactly what I wanted to know.
Much appreciated!

Cheers
Bob

Re: HP Laserjet 1020 printer