HP chip model planes

Considering the cost of aircraft parts- an arm and a leg- it might be possible to overlook such evidence of prior owners.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

You get what you pay for?

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

The old HP (not the Chinese outsource Carly Fiorina HP) had the attitude that the cheapest thing they made reflected on the entire company. Thus even a calculator was made to HP standards. I was dealing with HP of old regarding ESD, and nothing left the factory unless every external pin could handle 30KV. If it took some protection devices, so be it.

Reply to
miso

How does the ARM.based version compare with the old version, in terms of speed and battery life? I would not be surpised to hear of an 11C that was still on its original set of batteries :-)

Reply to
Raymond Wiker

I haven't head about the new 12C as apparently it's quite hard to find and identify them on the shelves, and only sold in Europe or somewhere so far?

If the new 20B is anything to go by (and it should be because it's the same processor) then battery life it will be a shocker. Rated 9 months from two CR2032 batteries. IMO HP goofed big in the design of the 20B. It works at 30MHz for all calculations (then goes to sleep), but that means 15mA or so from the two CR2032 batteries. This means big losses in the battery internal resistance when doing calcs. When I queried one of the HP designers about this on another forum, I got the response that the CR2032 batteries have an IR of 5 ohms (IIRC) and everything was fine and dandy. Well, they must be real special batteries they are using because normal CR2032's start at 20ohms IR and go up.

I can dig out the actual figures I came up with from the other forum if needed, but it was I think something like 30% at least of the computational power wasted in the battery IR. Crazy design.

Also, there was some concern about the low battery detection logic not working properly.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Why on earth does a calculator need to run at 30MHz? The original HP15c ran at 220KHz[*] in 1983. Has Bill Gates really made us 136x dumber / less efficient in the past

26 years?

Well, maybe he has at that.

  • Unless hotrodded ...

Run the new version at 2MHz, port it natively to the ARM, and blaze on.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

So there is no lag in 59!? Do you happen to know that the HP35's clock was?

At least. Windoze is a lot prettier though.

OTOH, I'd like an HP11C (or name your fav HP calculator) in each cell in Excel.

Reply to
krw

I just tried it. Less than 1 second, AFAICT.

Two-phase quadrature 200KHz clock, divided down from 800KHz main osc.

Details here:

James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

Since it's been observed that some previous product "updates" are actually complete internal re-designs, complete with bad bugs and less accuracy, an emulation of the original would seem very attractive, to those who know about the quality of those originals; perhaps, should they dare to tinker with them, the few remaining bugs of the originals might even be fixed.

However, the originals were designed with limited memory, so can an exact clone provide any more program and data storage, or even additional functions, as did some of the subsequent "updates"?

I suppose I'd better rush out and sell my old originals, before the market is flooded with clones, satisfying the demand that currently exceeds the supply :)

Never-cloned originals whose value keeps increasing:

Once rare, until cloned:

How about those HP49Gs with inverted keys? Are they fetching huge prices, like stamps? See

-[ ]-

Reply to
John H Meyers

Only 10% in 11 years. G. Moore obviously didn't work at HP. ;-)

Reply to
krw

The ASIC used in the previous 12C was becoming obsolete, so HP either had to either re-design from scratch (software wise), or go with Eric's ROM emulator. They wisely went with the later given that almost the entire finance industry relies on the 12C, and any numerical bugs would have unacceptable to say the least.

Yup, if a new 11C or 15C ROM emulated machine comes out, the Ebay market will drop like a rock.

verted_Jenny

If Casio ever brong back the CFX-400, interest in my uWatch will no doubt dry up!

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Bill Gates didn't either. Else the 15C would have probably needed 512MB of internal RAM to calculate a square root.

--
SCNR, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Some of those ceramic chips have beryllium Oxide in the ceramic, which is dangerous to breathe.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
Michael A. Terrell

As a side note, you can clean/sharpen your probe station probe tip using a ceramic package. You use the package like a sharpening stone. Granted, there is a knack to this.

Reply to
miso

It leaves metal dust on the package, though. A dead IC would be OK, but I wouldn't do it on any on a PC board. Just make sure to rinse it off with water right away if you break the ceramic, to remove any dust, unless you know for sure there is no Beryllium Oxide. It can put you in the hospital, or worse. A tech on the GRC-106 test line found a broken

4CX250 in a radio at his bench and spend most of a week in the local hospital. Lucky for him, the tech next to him was a ham, who knew the dangers and grabbed a plastic bag to cover the tube and his hands, then lead him to a sink to wash up, or he might have died.