How would I make an audio environment?

Basically what I want to do is have a small box with speakers and a looping sound sample of bridge sounds from Star Trek as a background sound for a room.

Is there any form of solid state recording chip to store the sounds on or would I have to get a flash memory? I did have access to a digital sound recording chip but that didn't keep the sounds when the power vanished.

--
John

Life is short eat chocolate
Reply to
Chasing Kate

Why not burn a CD and put the track on repeat?

Reply to
Caliban

You could do it with a bootable CD, that would be built with a dos bootdisk & a dos mp3 player with the required sounds set to loop before burning it all to cd. (and of course the box would need to have it`s boot-order set to CD)

Reply to
Colin

The ChipCorder devices are the standard solution to this:

Sample rate ain't that high though, only designed for "voice" quality, although I notice they have one which goes up to 12KHz now, might be worth a try.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

Probably the cheapest way would be to buy an endless cassette and record your sounds on that.

David

Chas> Basically what I want to do is have a small box with

Reply to
quietguy

I had thought of that but what I want is a small box I can put in a bag or pocket and be fully portable and not have moving parts hence asking about a solid state chip

Reply to
Chasing Kate

COOL!!!!!! That's the kind of thing I am looking for

--
John

Life is short eat chocolate
Reply to
Chasing Kate

Wota dinosaur. The cheapest CD player that can endlessly repeat makes a lot more sense.

Reply to
Rod Speed

buy one of those tiny "keytag" sized personal MP3 players (preferably with a repeat function) and record sound effect to that. They typically have 128 MB or such of memory - and this would be non-volatile for certain ! These are available in many discount stores - electronics retailers and even supermarkets for very little cost.

128 MB would be sufficient for about 2 hours of recording at reasonable quality - so unless you needed it longer than this - a repeat function woulent be needed. if you dont need quality - then recording at 48kb or 96 kb would extend the play time significantly.

if longer duration is needed - and the player doesn't have a repeat function built in - then a timer (based on a 555 etc) could be used to trigger the "play" button on the unit - at the time the soundtrack reaches its "end" so as to repeat it.

--------------------- A small ampilifier and speaker are all else that would be needed, I feel that this setup would be able to be made quite small too.

Reply to
KLR

You can also buy sound effect chips that you could run from a small amp - used one for games on my Exidy Sorcerer

You might also check out the toy dep in stores - some of the cheap games produce all sorts of weird and wonderful sounds

David

Reply to
quietguy

Basically what I want to do is have a small box with speakers and a looping sound sample of bridge sounds from Star Trek as a background sound for a room.

Is there any form of solid state recording chip to store the sounds on or would I have to get a flash memory? I did have access to a digital sound recording chip but that didn't keep the sounds when the power vanished.

-- John

Life is short eat chocolate

Just source your material, whack it into your computer and enjoy composing a large wav file in a prog. like Cool edit (simple) there you can do much in terms of changing the sounds and looping etc.

Then convert the wav into an Mp3 and upload it to a simple (and now cheap) Mp3 player.

Mark Kelly

Reply to
Mark Kelepouris

Do you want to do this on the cheap, or professionally. How long do you want it to last for?

Rod

Reply to
Rod

Atmel's DOC1456 application note describes using a ATmega8535 and a AT45DB161 16M bit DataFlash, plus some other circuitry, to do digital sound recording and playback.

The AT45DB161 are stock items available from Digikey for between US$5.70 and US$6.82, depending on the package.

Reply to
dmm

....................or make use of your computer

Reply to
Mark Kelepouris