How would I make an audio environment?

Basically what I want to do is have a small box with
speakers and a looping sound sample of bridge sounds
from Star Trek as a background sound for a room.

Is there any form of solid state recording chip to store
the sounds on or would I have to get a flash memory? I
did have access to a digital sound recording chip but that
didn't keep the sounds when the power vanished.

--
John

Life is short eat chocolate

Re: How would I make an audio environment?

Why not burn a CD and put the track on repeat?

Re: How would I make an audio environment?

I had thought of that but what I want is a small
box I can put in a bag or pocket and be fully
portable and not have moving parts hence asking
about a solid state chip

Re: How would I make an audio environment?

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 13:34:24 +0930, Chasing Kate

buy one of those tiny "keytag" sized personal MP3 players (preferably
with a repeat function) and record sound effect to that.  They
typically have 128 MB or such of memory - and this would be
non-volatile for certain !  These are available in many discount
stores - electronics retailers and even supermarkets for very little
cost.

128 MB would be sufficient for about 2 hours of recording at
reasonable quality - so unless you needed it longer than this - a
repeat function woulent be needed.  if you dont need quality - then
recording at 48kb or 96 kb would extend the play time significantly.

if longer duration is needed - and the player doesn't have a repeat
function built in - then a timer (based on a 555 etc) could be used to
trigger the "play" button on the unit - at the time the soundtrack
reaches its "end" so as to repeat it.

---------------------
A small ampilifier and speaker are all else that would be needed, I
feel that this setup would be able to be made quite small too.

Re: How would I make an audio environment?

You can also buy sound effect chips that you could run from a small amp -
used one for games on my Exidy Sorcerer

You might also check out the toy dep in stores - some of the cheap games
produce all sorts of weird and wonderful sounds

David

Re: How would I make an audio environment?

You could do it with a bootable CD, that would be built with a dos bootdisk
& a dos mp3 player with the required sounds set to loop before burning it
all to cd. (and of course the box would need to have it`s boot-order set to
CD)

Re: How would I make an audio environment?

The ChipCorder devices are the standard solution to this:
http://www.winbond-usa.com/products/isd_products/chipcorder /

Sample rate ain't that high though, only designed for "voice" quality,
although I notice they have one which goes up to 12KHz now, might be
worth a try.

Dave :)

Re: How would I make an audio environment?

COOL!!!!!!  That's the kind of thing I am looking for

--
John

Life is short eat chocolate

Re: How would I make an audio environment?

Probably the cheapest way would be to buy an endless cassette and record
your sounds on that.

David

Re: How would I make an audio environment?

Wota dinosaur. The cheapest CD player that
can endlessly repeat makes a lot more sense.

Re: How would I make an audio environment?

 Basically what I want to do is have a small box with
 speakers and a looping sound sample of bridge sounds
 from Star Trek as a background sound for a room.

 Is there any form of solid state recording chip to store
 the sounds on or would I have to get a flash memory? I
 did have access to a digital sound recording chip but that
 didn't keep the sounds when the power vanished.

 --
 John

 Life is short eat chocolate

 Just source your material, whack it into your computer and enjoy composing
a large wav file in a prog. like Cool edit (simple) there you can do much in
terms of changing the sounds and looping etc.

Then  convert the wav into an Mp3 and upload it to a simple (and now cheap)
Mp3 player.

Mark Kelly

Re: How would I make an audio environment?

Do you want to do this on the cheap, or professionally.
How long do you want it to last for?

Rod

Re: How would I make an audio environment?

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 22:01:32 +0930, Chasing Kate

Atmel's DOC1456 application note describes using a ATmega8535
and a AT45DB161 16M bit DataFlash, plus some other circuitry,
to do digital sound recording and playback.

The AT45DB161 are stock items available from Digikey for
between US$5.70 and US$6.82, depending on the package.

Re: How would I make an audio environment?

....................or make use of your computer

Site Timeline