How to test a remote control?

I have an STB here, and either the box itself is no longer receiving the
remote's signal, or the remote itself is stuffed.

I suppose I could find one on display somewhere and test it... the
question is where though!

I have an ir port on the laptop, and an USB one on my htpc - neither
seem to respond in any way when I try to fire a signal from the remote
their way.

Bloody warranty expired last month... I never use the thing and so only
found out when it was too late. Bah.

Any ideas on how I could test this to determine which has the problem?

Tnx,

--
/J/

Re: How to test a remote control?

"Je▀us"

** You can use a portable AM radio.

Tune the radio between stations, hold the RC close and press the buttons and
a strong buzzing & clicking noise should emanate from the speaker of the
radio.

This will show if the IR transmitting led is receiving current pulses.

It will not show if the IR carrier frequency has gone out of tolerance.

.........   Phil

Re: How to test a remote control?

You can tell if an IR remote control is putting out an IR signal by
pointing it at a digital camera that has an LCD viewer.

Of course, you can't tell if it's the *right* signal, but usually if the
remote is putting out anything at all, it's okay.

Peter

Re: How to test a remote control?

**Only if that camera has a CCD sensor. CMOS sensors do not respond to
infra-red.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: How to test a remote control?

Good point.

Do any brand name digital cameras use CCD sensors?  I thought only the
real cheapies did, although now that I've seen Kodak CCD digital cameras
selling for under $100, I'm not sure what a "real cheapie" is any more...

Peter

Re: How to test a remote control?

CMOS sensors ARE a type of CCD, it's just a different fabrication
technique. My CMOS camera responds almost too well to IR: a furnace
glowing dull red show up as a white/pink bright on the camera pics.

Re: How to test a remote control?

Yes, Many. Last time I checked a remote it was with an expensive DSLR. Maybe
two months ago.

AJS

Re: How to test a remote control?

**Canon. You can pay AUS$3k for a Canon which employs a CMOS sensor.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: How to test a remote control?

there are "credit card" size that work and don't need batterys
e.g.
http://www.monacor.dk/shop/produkt_blad.php?varenr30%0130
I got mine from Trade Tech NZ for about $25
maybe WES has them.

if you take the unit apart, you can replace the infra red LED with a
standard visible LED to test the transmitter section is working OK

I have an STB here, and either the box itself is no longer receiving the
remote's signal, or the remote itself is stuffed.

I suppose I could find one on display somewhere and test it... the
question is where though!

I have an ir port on the laptop, and an USB one on my htpc - neither
seem to respond in any way when I try to fire a signal from the remote
their way.

Bloody warranty expired last month... I never use the thing and so only
found out when it was too late. Bah.

Any ideas on how I could test this to determine which has the problem?

Tnx,

--
/J/

Re: How to test a remote control?

receiving the
it... the
htpc - neither
from the remote
thing and so only
the problem?

Do any of your other remotes have a learning function.  If
they learn a function they usually give an OK signal and if
they don't then they give an error signal.

TT

Re: How to test a remote control?

<snip>

That's another good idea, yeah, I have a couple of learning remotes but
completely forgot about them :)
In the end I tested the remote through a web cam... the remote is working.

Thanks,

--
/J/
Stuffing around with the web cam again:

Update:
I got a reply on another NG, to try a digital camera, anything with a
CCD... I had a webcam running, fired the remote and the white light was
plainly visible through the webcam. So that means it's the STB that has
the problem (I'd rather it was the remote!)

Thanks for all the replies, I'll read them all anyway :)

Cheers,