How to run water injection ?

Turbo Surf on on biofuel with 9Lb boost , next step is water injection on boost , now of course I could just add water in a mist between the turbo and intercooler when the boost light comes on but any ideas about a slightly better controller circuit ?

Reply to
atec77

First off you want to inject the water as near to the cylinder head as possible. Further up stream it will give the water time to vaporise and turn into steam, expand and play havoc with air/fuel ratios.

The way to do it would be to take a line off the inlet manifold and measure boost pressure, so a simple arrangement would be a diaphragm arrangement that opens a tap/orifice/port that meters the water. You could use a window washer bottle and electric motor to supply water flow to the valve arrangement and them inject into the ports above the inlet valves. The water flow would be dependant on boost pressure and would be easy to calibrate. All you need is an air regulator on a compressors and then measure each nozzles flow rate.

All this would be easily available from wreckers with a bit of drilling and tapping. The regulator valve I was thinking along the lines of how a wastegate works. Just a thought, a vacuum heater tap off a Falcon works the same way. A bit big but you get the idea ;-)

Cheers TT

PS everything else I can think off is not water tolerant :-( Solenoids, injectors etc. But I am sure if you search the web some more someone will probably already markets one.

Reply to
TT

Tried this basic idea with a simply preassure switch ( it works and allows much better boost levels) but I am thinking two stages as in boost light and full , the washer bottle has only 4 litres capacity and an hour of use over several days will use that , injection between the turbo and throttle body is suitable and easily achieved . I see smart controllers advertised but for $10.00 worth of bits the asking is too high . K? B

Reply to
atec77

hi, i think in jaycar they have a pretty good controler . i think its also in the book " high performance projects for cars " or sumthin like that., mark k

Reply to
mark krawczuk