How to organise a solarfeed-in boycott

Given that investment in renewables has managed to destablise the grid
(which may yet suffer a death spiral), I'm considering installing solar
panels and battery, to protect myself from blackouts.

Absent equipment failures, blackouts are caused when there is
insufficient generation capacity to meet demand. At that time, the
wholesale market price reaches its cap of $14 per kWh, which is rather
more than the derisory 12 cents or so one receives for a feed-in.

I'd probably turn my solar panels off, or at least direct my system not
to feed-in (assuming it's capable of that), during such periods because
I'd rather forgo the pittance they pay than supply power at 1% of its
market value.

Better would be to organise a boycott - get large numbers of solar panel
owners to do the same. Since this would lead to further blackouts, the
regulator would be forced to the table to ensure that owners got a fair
priced at such times.

But how to organise it?

Sylvia.

Re: How to organise a solarfeed-in boycott

The systems are probably riddled with security vulnerabilities. I say
organise a small group of people to announce that they're turning off
their supply on purpose, then hack a large number of other user's
systems to cause them to do it unwillingly. Then the regulators are
left thinking that your small group is actually much bigger than it
looked. :)

--
__          __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: How to organise a solarfeed-in boycott

Interesting idea, but how many systems are internet connected? Certainly
mine won't be.

Sylvia.

Re: How to organise a solarfeed-in boycott

They recently installed a "Smart" meter here. It has a cellular
connection and sends data home every half hour. I don't know what
control capabilities there are if any through it.

Re: How to organise a solarfeed-in boycott

I don't really know about these feed-in systems. I assumed they'd all
be internet connected so that the power companies know how much power
you've contributed, but I guess they use the smart meters for that?

--
__          __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: How to organise a solarfeed-in boycott

I had thought of a similar arrangement:
When I read that one of the utilities was charging customers with PV a
higher service charge because of "the greater strain they place on the
network" or some such rubbish, I thought a good way to help the utility
with this problem: Monitor the wholesale price (I understand it can be
viewed on the internet) and help out the utility on those hot summer
days when the grid is under most strain, and the wholesale price goes
above say $2/kWh, and shut down the inverter automatically at just those
times, because the poor electricity retailer's network would really be
suffering, with the strain of the householder's PV inverter feeding in
power at 6c/kWh at those times, when it really should be coming from a
gas fired power station at full wholesale price.

You would want to be careful about causing any actual blackouts though,
as renewables get blamed even when they have nothing to do with the
cause of a blackout, so imagine the witch hunts and hostility if you
(and a million other householders that you'd probably need) succeeded in
making it true. Rather than prompting the regulator to make you get paid
fairly, they would more likely embolden various politicians to ban or
tax-to-death grid-connected solar power. So to not cause a real
blackout, you'd probably want your co-conspirators to start feeding in
again when the grid frequency actually starts dropping badly - but that
is not allowed by the mandatory anti-islanding features of the inverters
- they are legally required to shut down when the grid is collapsing.

There is a company called Reposit, that (in some areas) allows you to
work with a retailer who will compensate you more fairly for helping to
generate power when the wholesale price is high. Perhaps that is a less
antisocial option.
https://repositpower.com/

Re: How to organise a solarfeed-in boycott

First get your solar panels. Then go on facebook. This is politics again,
not electronics.
--
Shaun.

Re: How to organise a solarfeed-in boycott

Did the subject line mislead you?

Sylvia

Re: How to organise a solarfeed-in boycott

Did the newsgroup name mislead you?
--
Shaun.

Re: How to organise a solarfeed-in boycott
As there is no general electrical NG a lot of us now put electrical
discussions here as most electronic people know a bit about electricity.
And the politics of electrical distribution fits

Re: How to organise a solarfeed-in boycott

Odd that there's no aus.general etc. The NZ newsgroup heirarchy has
nz.general *and* nz.politics as well as regional groups.

Also as I'm sure you know theres a big difference between 'electrical' and
'electronic'. Even bigger between electronic and political / industrial
boycotts related to electricity.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

Re: How to organise a solarfeed-in boycott
So you want to keep your electronics pure? Don't let any discussion of
electrics taint your group? There would not be one without the other and
as there is no general electrical group people do the sensible thing and
share.
Most electrical people share an interest with electronics They would not
be snobs excluding others.

Re: How to organise a solarfeed-in boycott

Your inferrence that I'm being an 'electronics snob' is incorrect and a
strawman - I objected to the OP due to it being mainly political in nature.
The elecrtical / electronics thing was an 'also'.
--
Shaun.

Re: How to organise a solarfeed-in boycott

Actually there's exactly that:
http://aus.news-admin.org/groupinfo.cgi/aus.general
You'll probably want to bring a good killfile with you though.

Regional groups are under  bne.* canb.* melb.* syd.* wa.*.

I think it's probably better than waiting for one on-topic thread
a month, which seems to be the point at which a newsgroup begins
to die completely.

If people can get into the habit of starting Off Topic threads
with "[OT]", many newsreaders can be configured to filter out
such threads.

--
__          __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: How to organise a solarfeed-in boycott

Yes to that! Preface with OT and it's much better.
--
Shaun.

Re: How to organise a solarfeed-in boycott

Ask PM Turnbull to join in - he has 14 kW worth of panels on his house.

Re: How to organise a solarfeed-in boycott

Yes.

BTW, I've been doing a bit of research, and it appears to me that he
should have obtained planning permission (over 10kW requires it), but
that he didn't get it - no relevant DA for his property.

Sylvia.

Site Timeline