How to heat IC in phone

My Nokia phone seems to be damaged in some way.  According to online forums
the solution is to heat this part of the phone:

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/8467/icheat.jpg

How do you go about 'heating' this component?   What would heating it do?
Wipe its memory?

Re: How to heat IC in phone

go and buy a cheap unlocked phone until you can get your prob with
Telstra sorted out. Harvey Norman were advertising them for just $29!

--
rgds,

Pete
Re: How to heat IC in phone

Yep

to the op have you thought of a hair dryer?

Re: How to heat IC in phone

http://jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=TH1602

But I'd be VERY cautious about accepting advice from posters on an anonymous
forum.

By the looks of it, you suspect there's a fault caused by improper soldering
on a particular component in your 'phone, and someone's suggested you should
apply heat in an attempt to re-flow the solder to re-make the connection.
Though this does have merit, the method by which they've suggested you do it
will more likely lead to more problems rather than less.

Consider this: the temperature which the solder will need to get to to
re-flow, is greater than both the operating and storage temperatures of the
IC you're trying to re-connect. What do you think will happen?

--
Bob Milutinovic
Cognicom

Re: How to heat IC in phone

the solution is to heat this part of the

Wipe its memory?

forum.

they've suggested you do it will more

And if the phone really does have that fault, it was never a good of
merchantable quality and he is legally entitled to either a full replacement
or his money back and that is his choice, not Telstra's as well.

Corse he doesnt get the money back for the calls he made.

Re: How to heat IC in phone

Unfortunately I have agreed over the phone to allow them to resolve the
issue by waiving the cancellation fee.  I have probably lost my chance of
pursuing them further.

Re: How to heat IC in phone
the solution is to heat this part of the
Wipe its memory?
forum.
they've suggested you do it will more

Plus if decides to play with heating the board, could invalidate the
warranty due to heat damage.

Re: How to heat IC in phone

the solution is to heat this part of

Wipe its memory?

forum.

re-flow, is greater than both the operating

or his money back and that is his

due to heat damage.

Absolutely guaranteed to do that in fact.

Corse they may not even bother to check inside etc.

Site Timeline