How to get around the incandescent globe ban

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20101015/od_nm/us_germany_heatballs

Re: How to get around the incandescent globe ban

But can they meet the standards for room heaters?

Sylvia.

Re: How to get around the incandescent globe ban

Probably don't have to, could be gerbil cage heaters.

Re: How to get around the incandescent globe ban

For a very small room, or a room in a Darwin winter ;)

Another use I have seen for these was stores that sell bulk honey.
(where you bring and fill your own container and buy what you need).

There would be an incandescent bulb (unknown wattage but quite bright)
underneath the can near the tap
in order to provide enough heat so the honey would flow reliably in
winter,
or in air conditioned shops.

In this case, the only purpose for the bulb was as a heater.

Re: How to get around the incandescent globe ban

I was thinking more about safety regulations. We know that in practice
people would be using these as light bulbs, and that they would
therefore be installed in typical light bulb type places. But if one
wants to sell them has heaters, then they have to comply with the safety
regulations concerning heaters, and they may not.

Sylvia.

Re: How to get around the incandescent globe ban

I suppose in that case they could claim that they are a "heating
element" with "visual indication of operation"
and must be installed in a suitable enclosure.
Technically true as it cannot work on its own, it at least needs a
socket and cable.

Another issue that might come about is that as CFL use becomes
widespread,
we might start seeing more and more light fittings designed and
manufactured
with only CFL in mind, and putting in an incandescent might melt or
burn them from the heat.

The other interesting argument one could make is that 99% of light
fittings that I have seen have
"60w maximum" labelled on them.

About the only safe fittings for 100w bulbs would be naked lamp
fittings without any covering, or specifically deigned fittings -
probably with
ceramic sockets and high temperature cables..
Therefore they could argue that the 100w bulb is indeed a heater as it
can't be used in most lighting applications.

Re: How to get around the incandescent globe ban

Nope, the plastic retaining ring on standard sockets cracks due to the heat
when used with 100W globes for any length of time. I've replaced stacks even
when using only 60W globes and a non enclosed light fitting.

Right.

MrT.

Re: How to get around the incandescent globe ban

I haven't used 100w bulbs for a very long time, (1970's) and that was
in a shed that had
several old type black bakelite fittings with a squarish shaped
base.
These are probably more tolerant of high temperatures than the more
modern white plastic batten fittings.

In the end they were replaced with 40w fluro fittings when the place
was rewired. They
gave a better light.

When you think about it, in any decent sized incandescent  a lot of
the filament
heat must travel directly up the metal stems  and to the base,
this must heat up the base and socket enormously.
Probably doesn't do a lot of good pointing a bulb upwards as it would
get hotter
without the base to act as a "heatsink" ?

One place I lived in had a 150w (philips) bulb in the toilet light
fitting, &
the socket had gone a funny brownish colour from heat stress and was
replaced.  The previous owner
had liked to read in the loo for long periods and due to eyesight
problems, needed a bright light,
even in the day.

I replaced it with something more sensible, as I don't go to the
toilet to sunbake ;)
but I still have that 150 watt "heater" around here somewhere.

Re: How to get around the incandescent globe ban

And then there are those rumors about the 99W lightbulbs from Poland to
get around the 100W ban. I don't think they were for real, but that sure
was a good one:

http://www.stromvergleich.de/img/polen-99-watt.png

--
Regards, Joerg