How to find out the height and speed of the RC planes?

When I first bought my townhouse, I thought the huge park behind was
good. Three days after I moved in, I realized it was a testing ground of the
RC plane fans. Tens of noisy planes hover arround the area every weekend.

Now for a mental exercise, I have decided to design a RCPlaneHunter to
bring them down or destroy them in the sky.

First idea:

A device installed on my kid's 4wheeler, which contains a digcam censor,
a powerful uP with some field programmable gate array chips, an air rifle
which can shoot a plastic bullet 200 meters, plus some sensors yet to find
out. My electronics will detect the speed, direction and height of the
plane,
determine the firing angle and time of my rifle and fire.

What are the algorithms to calculate the speed, direction and height of the
plane?

Any new ideas are also welcome.

Re: How to find out the height and speed of the RC planes?

**Ask you local council to tell them to stop (assuming it is against council
regulations). Few parks (in Australia) allow RC control planes to be
operated.
If you must use the technological approach, then build a decent sized
transmitter (which will be illegal, of course) and jam the RC frequencies.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: How to find out the height and speed of the RC planes?

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 09:36:40 +0800, "Sea Squid"

Yes! Get into the hobby yourself!
What an ideal place you have,
a flying field at your backyard.
Bloody Marvellous!

I used to travel 2 hours each way
to my clubs fling field years ago.
Boy! what luck you have!

I learned a lot building some of my
own radio control gear decades ago.
Great hobby!

Regards,
John Crighton
Hornsby

Re: How to find out the height and speed of the RC planes?

Maybe you should have done a bit more research before you made the
biggest investment of your life.
What makes you think you have the right to destroy other peoples
property because you were to stupid to research a property before buying it?
Also, what sort of idiot would use an air rifle when the planes can be
brought down with RF?

Matthew

Re: How to find out the height and speed of the RC planes?

Sigh . whoosh

Re: How to find out the height and speed of the RC planes?

What the hell is that supposed to mean??

Re: How to find out the height and speed of the RC planes?

"Matthew Gunn"

  **  Think about it.....

..............  Phil

Re: How to find out the height and speed of the RC planes?

No, sorry, thinking about it hasn't helped my understanding of the
comment.  I understand sigh, it's the whoosh part I don't get.
Sorry if I may sound stupid but I am not familiar with this jargon.

Matthew

Re: How to find out the height and speed of the RC planes?

"Matthew Gunn"

**   I have no idea what UhU meant either  -  except that the cretin is a
rabid fuckwit.

**  The "woosh" is the sound of an imaginary missile going over your head.

  The phrase is used by utter fools trying to pretend they have brilliant
ideas.

**  It is the jargon of the utterly stupid.

............   Phil

Re: How to find out the height and speed of the RC planes?

OK, now it makes more sense.  It was never meant to make sense.

Matthew

Re: How to find out the height and speed of the RC planes?

There is no thread that doesn't go astray.

Re: How to find out the height and speed of the RC planes?

 ..............  Phil

Sorry if I may sound stupid
Matthew

***Why be sorry if you sound stupid,all you have written so far indicates
you really are!!

Brian Goldsmith

Re: How to find out the height and speed of the RC planes?

O      K    .

Re: How to find out the height and speed of the RC planes?

Have you actually ever posted anything constructive?
With some of your stupid snide remarks I wonder if you even read the
posts you are commenting on.

Matthew

Re: How to find out the height and speed of the RC planes?

You are a humourless dickhead

Re: How to find out the height and speed of the RC planes?

The intelligence (maturity?) of the contributors of a thread is
proportional to the time it takes to descend into abuse.

Wilfred

Re: How to find out the height and speed of the RC planes?

the
the
There can be only one victor in such an air war, and it can't be you.
Legally and morally you are in the wrong. But it could fix your problem as
you may have to sell the property to pay for the ensueing court case.
A wiser person might examine the legal alternatives.

Cheers
Jim

Re: How to find out the height and speed of the RC planes?

Right. I see.  I just wonder how you are going to explain to the parents of
some kid killed by a RC plane out of control due to a fuckwit operating an
interference device.

 I just hope you are really only the 8 yr old kid that yur post implies

David - who cannot believe there are people this stupid in this world

Re: How to find out the height and speed of the RC planes?

"quietguy"

**  As usual   -  you see as less than a blind person .

**  That is utterly asinine.  At any R/C model flying field there are dozens
of  "interference devices" capable of shooting down a model in flight   -
ie all the radios owned by the other modellers present. If the modeller's
all stick to basic  precautions regarding their use of radio frequencies
this event is reduced to a fairly infrequent one  -   ie less than one RFI
induced crash per meeting.

However, radio interference ( from another modeller) is the second most
likely cause of a model pounding into the ground at high speed.  The most
common reason for crashing is failure of something in the model, the R/C
gear or pilot error. There is usually one or more of these per meeting.

A R/C model headed for a crash has an ENORMOUS amount of territory available
to do so in  -  a million square meters at least.  The chance of the model
striking a modeller at the moment of reaching the ground is very remote,
since one of them occupies less than a single square meter  -   plus they
can move out of the way.

Flying  R/C model aircraft are typically *very* fragile objects made from
balsa framework covered in tissue or plastic sheet.  If you accidentally
trod on one it would be instantly wrecked.

Strangely, the most dangerous type of model aircraft  BY FAR are the control
line type  -  there are several fatalities each year round the world due to
them ( in particular the motor) impacting a spectator or competitor.  Either
the line breaks sending a 200 + kph solid balsa missile straight into the
gathered spectators or someone misjudges and walks into the path of one
doing circuits.  The risk of injury and to life from control line models is
so high that in the USA  (at least ) liability insurers refuse to cover such
accidents.

............    Phil

Re: How to find out the height and speed of the RC planes?

I said this would be mind game! Let's restrict our discussion to physics,
electronics
and mechanics, leave legal matters to other forums. I am able to program all
kinds
of discrete logic and microprocessors, but my physics and common knowledge
is
lack.

I am thinking about the airwar idea, but I may not actually do it. ;)

the
the

Site Timeline