how to find equivalent transistor

Hi,

I need to replace a 8050 transistor. I found the data sheet on the web but no source to buy one. (NPN TO92 IC 800mA 30V switching/audio, drives a siren pieco) What's a proper way to find an equivalent transistor that's actually available?

Cheers

Tony

Reply to
TonyS

On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 13:53:40 +0800, TonyS put finger to keyboard and composed:

These are just "jelly bean" general purpose transistors:

A BC337A looks like it might substitute for it:

Just be careful of the pinout. One is EBC, the other is CBE.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

available?

Using some random NPNs from my junk box produced a lot of dead bodies though:-)

I can get a BC337 from Altronics. Will watch pinout:-) Easier than I thought!

Thanks!

Tony

Reply to
TonyS

"TonyS"

** There is no simple procedure for such a complex task - anyone who tells you there is a fool or a damn liar.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

You are right. When data sheets where still in books I used to have a book with tables that showed equivalent devices by different manufacturers. I was hoping that the web has something like this to offer. In this case hFE is important. The driving circuit is just 2*4069 inverters in parallel over 100 Ohms. The load is an unknown transformer.

Tony

Reply to
TonyS

available?

Tried the BC337. Blew up after 20 seconds:-) Was worth a try for $0.35

Tony

Reply to
TonyS