how to find equivalent transistor

I need to replace a 8050 transistor.
I found the data sheet on the web but no source to buy one.
(NPN TO92 IC 800mA 30V switching/audio, drives a siren pieco)
What's a proper way to find an equivalent transistor that's actually available?

Cheers

Tony

Re: how to find equivalent transistor
put finger to keyboard and composed:

These are just "jelly bean" general purpose transistors:
http://www.datasheetarchive.com/pdf-datasheets/Datasheets-5/DSA-87957.pdf

A BC337A looks like it might substitute for it:
http://www.datasheetarchive.com/pdf-datasheets/Datasheets-12/DSA-228097.pdf

Just be careful of the pinout. One is EBC, the other is CBE.

- Franc Zabkar

Re: how to find equivalent transistor
available?

Using some random NPNs from my junk box produced a lot of dead bodies though:-)

I can get a BC337 from Altronics. Will watch pinout:-)
Easier than I thought!

Thanks!

Tony

Re: how to find equivalent transistor
available?

Tried the BC337.
Blew up after 20 seconds:-)
Was worth a try for $0.35

Tony

Re: how to find equivalent transistor

"TonyS"

** There is no simple procedure for such a complex task   -  anyone who
tells you there is a fool or a damn liar.

....   Phil

Re: how to find equivalent transistor
You are right.
When data sheets where still in books I used to have a book with tables that
showed equivalent devices by different manufacturers. I was hoping that the web
has something like this to offer.
In this case hFE is important. The driving circuit is just 2*4069 inverters in
parallel over 100 Ohms. The load is an unknown transformer.

Tony

Site Timeline