How to connect inductive pickup to scope?

Hi all,

I have an old inductive pickup from a timing light that I would like to
connect to my 60MHz Fluke Scopemeter, to be able to pick a certain cylinder
firing in my car. I simply hooked the wires from the pickup to the inputs on
one of the scope channels, but that produced nothing useful.

Does anyone know what else needs to be done before I can make use of this
signal? The pickup works fine when plugged into the timing light it came
from.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

--Nick
Perth, WA

Re: How to connect inductive pickup to scope?

how about connecting the 12v input to the ignition coil to the sync or
trigger input of the scope

: Hi all,
:
[...]

Unfortunately, because my car is currently equipped with a distributor, that
gives me a pulse for every cylinder, whereas I'm looking for only cylinder
#1.

Re: How to connect inductive pickup to scope?

I'm still interested in how to do this, but I have got it working for the
moment by tapping into the SCR trigger within the timing light. It means I
have to utilise the timing light to get the readings, but it's a work-around
for the moment :)

Re: How to connect inductive pickup to scope?

At a guess, i'd say the signal from the probe itself isnt big/noticible
enough for the scope to pick up ..

Obviously the electronics inside the timing light convert this into
something more noticible to trigger the light, so that works ..perhaps your
own form of amplifier could be created to turn the low level signal into
something the scope can handle .. assuming youv already brough the scope to
its highest sensitivity levels and still no luck ..

HTH

Re: How to connect inductive pickup to scope?

Thanks, I think you're right - I will take a closer look at the circuitry
inside the timing light and do some quick reverse-engineering. Or in all
likelyhood, I'll just have a dual-purpose timing light from now on ;)

Cheers,

--Nick
Perth, WA