How the bastards do it

Climate skeptic instructor fired from Oregon State University
Posted on June 11, 2012 by Anthony Watts

Gordon Fulks sends this summary of the situation and asks that it be
distributed. I92%m happy to oblige. For some background on Dr. Drapela92%s
skeptical views, this slideshow 93%Global Warming Cracked Open94% might
give some insight into OSU92%s booting him out.  96% Anthony

3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%
3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%
3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%

From Gordon Fulks:

Hello Everyone,

In theory at least Oregon State University (OSU) seems to be a bastion
of academic freedom, diversity, and tolerance. A wide range of ideas
are openly discussed. The most viable rise to the top and the least
viable fade away. But it is all a fairy tale, because OSU operates
under a politically correct regimen that dictates what is acceptable
to say and what is not. Transgressors who dare to be different are
eventually weeded out so that the campus maintains its ideological
purity.

OSU is not yet as swift or efficient as the Soviet system when Joseph
Stalin was trying to quash dissent among biologists who refused to go
along with Trofim Lysenko. If warnings to compromise their integrity
were not followed, Stalin simply had biologists shot. That quickly
thinned the ranks of all biologists and persuaded the remaining ones
to comply with Stalin92%s wishes. Of course, it also destroyed Soviet
biology, because Lysenko was pedaling nonsense. And Russian biology
has never recovered.

We learned over the weekend that chemist Nickolas Drapela, PhD has
been summarily fired from his position as a 93%Senior Instructor94% in the
Department of Chemistry. The department chairman Richard Carter told
him that he was fired but would not provide any reason. Subsequent
attempts to extract a reason from the OSU administration have been
stonewalled. Drapela appears to have been highly competent and well-
liked by his students. Some have even taken up the fight to have him
reinstated.

What could possibly have provoked the OSU administration to take
precipitous action against one of their academics who has been on
their staff for ten years, just bought a house in Corvallis, and has
four young children (one with severe medical problems)? Dr. Drapela is
an outspoken critic of the theory of Anthropogenic Global Warming, the
official religion of the State of Oregon, the Oregon Democratic Party,
and Governor John Kitzhaber.

Five years ago, Oregon State Climatologist George Taylor went around
quietly saying that he was not a believer. Then Governor Ted
Kulongoski and many faculty at OSU including Dr. Jane Lubchenco made
life impossible for Taylor, and he retired. (Lubchenco is now head of
NOAA in the Obama administration.) Under those currently in charge,
OSU climate research has grown to be a huge business, reportedly $90
million per year with no real deliverables beyond solid academic
support for climate hysteria. A small army of researchers ponder the
effects of Global Warming on all sorts of things from tube worms
living along the Oregon Coast to butterflies inland. When the climate
refuses to warm (as it has for the last twenty years), they just study
91%warming in reverse!92% Most of us call that 93%cooling,94% but they are
very careful not to upset their Obama administration contract monitors
with politically incorrect terminology.

Skeptics of Global Warming who oppose the OSU approach and oppose the
politicians who make it all possible but do not work for OSU also find
themselves attacked. Dr. Art Robinson who is running against Peter
DeFazio for an Oregon Congressional seat found three of his children
under attack at OSU. All were attempting to obtain advanced degrees in
the Nuclear Engineering Department and were threatened with dismissal.
Because Robinson fought back, we understand that the OSU
administration backed down.

As to the latest victim of political correctness at OSU, Dr. Nickolas
Drapela gives us an excellent synopsis of what is going on:

93%The fact of the matter is that it is now two weeks since I was fired
and no one has had the cajones or the common courtesy to even tell me
why. I have spoken with the Dept. Chair (Rich Carter) who fired me,
and he refused to tell me why. I spoke to the Dean of Science (Vince
Remcho) and he couldn92%t tell me why. I spoke to HR who set up a
meeting with me, then cancelled it an hour before. Then I went to the
Vice President of Academic Affairs (Becky Warner) and she sent me back
to Rich Carter, the chemistry chair.

It92%s just a sad, sad state of affairs that an institution like OSU
would fire a good employee for (ostensibly) no reason and then run
around and hide from the person they fired. I had stellar teaching
evaluations, I won College of Science awards for teaching, and
published textbooks. My class sections were always full and I was well-
liked by students (see ratemyprofessors.com). I was doing my job very
well. But I guess I didn92%t march in step with their philosophies.

There were quite a few student protests over this at OSU (Barometer,
Facebook, etc.) but to no avail.

I was given no severance and had no warning this was about to happen.
In fact, I was lured into the chair92%s office under the guise of a
fallacious story before being fired.

As you know, I was probably the most visibly-outspoken critic of the
Global Warming doctrine at OSU. I gave several public talks on the
topic and did research in the area which I regularly posted on the
web. I was also on a few talk radio shows in the area. I think they
finally just said, we can92%t have this.

Can it be that a university whose motto is 93%Open minds. Open doors94%
cannot abide even one faculty member who disagrees with their dogma? I
suppose I am too naive, but I92%m still reeling from it. Unbelievable.

I should say that they regularly read all my email communications,
which is why I am writing from this private email address. That has
been going on for quite some time now.

As far as my options at this point, like I said I haven92%t even really
grasped what has just happened. I don92%t know what I92%m going to do, or
what options I have yet. I92%m sure OSU wants their story to be tight
and perfectly identical among all administration before coming out
with an official reason why I was fired, hence the long wait and
refusal to speak to me.

I truly thank you for your concern, and I hope there is some recourse,
even just for the sake of exposing what is happening at OSU.94%

In a separate e-mail Drapela went on to say:

93%Thanks so much for your support and your concern. That92%s really nice.
My students were all really upset about it. They started an email
writing campaign to have me re-hired but I guess no one cares what
they think.

I find that the people who want to keep things secret all the time are
usually the people that have something to hide. It is certainly ok by
me for you to disseminate this story. But I92%m sure OSU would be
horrified.

I92%m not sure how I will support my family at this point. We just
bought a house in Corvallis. I have four kids, one of whom has a rare,
blood disorder and requires regular trips to Doernbecher92%s Children92%s
Hospital for treatment. Now we will be without health insurance.94%

We can only speculate as to how the decision to fire Drapela was made.
Unlike the decision to force Taylor out (which came from the
governor92%s office), this decision was likely internal to OSU with the
implicit backing of Governor Kitzhaber and NOAA administrator
Lubchenco. I would suspect that Dr. Phil Mote (Director of their
Climate Change Research Institute) had a hand in the decision, because
he has previously been highly intolerant of those who oppose his ideas
and could potentially threaten his business empire.

Please join with me in supporting Nick Drapela. Please join with me in
supporting objective science, as well as academic freedom, diversity,
and tolerance. The issues here go far beyond just Global Warming and
strike at the very heart of who we are as scientists and Americans.

Gordon J. Fulks, PhD (Physics)
Corbett, Oregon USA

P.S. Please circulate this e-mail far and wide. The world needs to
know what is going on here.

Re: How the bastards do it

**Do you have any evidence to support the claim that Drapela was sacked
because he has some anti-science beliefs? Of are you simply accepting
the word of a fossil fuel apologist (Watts) (and a well paid one, at that)?

Still, it is odd that a chemistry professor is so staunchly anti-science
and pro-relgion. I'd certainly expect a lot more from an allegedly
intelligent person.

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: How the bastards do it
Oh just kill yourself tweva you fsking tosspot

--

Re: How the bastards do it

**A response that was anticipated, given your (lack of) education.
Rather than discuss science intelligently, you resort to (incredibly
poorly spelt) insult. Congratulations. You are a credit to your teachers.

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: How the bastards do it
  Liar

  Show me yours and then I will show you mine or perhaps you have
nothing more than a very old minimal trade paper written on parchment ?
  Now in-protest you now how to finish it all -

   Strawman as usual you wanker

Re: How the bastards do it

because he has some anti-science beliefs?

Anti-science ? You poor deluded fool, the nature of science is to ask questions
and then ask them again, not to leap to politically correct conclusions.
Al Gore delivered the biggest anti-science load of bullshit ever, you probably
believed every lie contained in his blatant propoganda.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_scientists_opposing_the_mainstream_scientific_assessment_of_global_warming

Re: How the bastards do it

because he has some anti-science beliefs?

That's not a list.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_opinion_on_climate_change#Statements_by_organizations .
That's a list!

With acknowledgement to Crocodile Dundee
<
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v01%NHcTM5IA4
.

Re: How the bastards do it
because he has some anti-science beliefs?

**Yes. Anti-science. There is an overwhelming support from scientists,
that validate the theory of AGW. Dissenters include Tony Abbott, George
Pell, Nick Minchin, George W Bush and the rest of the religious nutters.
Scientists, OTOH, look at the science.

  You poor deluded fool,

**Just because I accept science as the arbiter of a scientific theory,
rather than what some talk-back radio host claims, that does not mean I
am deluded. Logical, reasonable and rational, perhaps, but not deluded.

  the nature of science is to ask questions

**Indeed. AGW hypothesis was first proposed by Fourier in the 19th
century. Experiments were conducted to validate the hypothesis. By the
early 1980s, solid data was collated to further solidify the theory.
Predictions were made in the early 1980s, that have been shown to be
remarkably accurate. Predictions made today will be validated in 100 years.

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2012/04/evaluating-a-1981-temperature-projection /

  not to leap to politically correct conclusions.

**Al Gore is a politician, not a scientist. I listen to scientists, in
matters of science. Unlike you, I don't pay attention to religious
nutters, talk-back radio hosts or politicians in matters of science.
Unlike you, I have an education and I use it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_scientists_opposing_the_mainstream_scientific_assessment_of_global_warming

**Why should I care what a bunch of dentists, osteopaths and mechanical
engineers think about AGW? I am far more interested in what
CLIMATOLOGISTS think about CLIMATE.

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: How the bastards do it

That isn't anti-science. Science isn't determined by democratic vote.
Learn some science history and it will quicly become obvios that just
because "everyone" believes it to be so, doesn't make it so.

Also, keep in kind that looking for figures to support AGW has been the
prime focus of the scientific establishment for over thrity years.

Re: How the bastards do it

**You are aware of what the term: 'overwhelming support' means, don't
you? There is not a shred of doubt amongst climatologists that AGW is a
reality.

**Wrong. The investigation has stretched over 150 years. The data is
irrefutable. The only hoildouts are politicians, talk-back radio hosts,
religious leaders and morons.

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: How the bastards do it
Wrong!! all the people you mentioned are not experts in the field and
they all get their information from experts who differ from your holy
grail the CSIRO etc

Re: How the bastards do it
You notice he wont tell us what formal qualifications he himself has to
make such royal pontification on the matters

--

Re: How the bastards do it

"atec77"

** TW's missus works ( or used to work) as a  Scientific Officer for this
mob:

http://www.ips.gov.au /

Attached to the Bureau of Meteorology and popularly known as the "
Ionospheric Prediction Service ".

Much loved by radio hams et alia.

...   Phil

Re: How the bastards do it
Being a receptionist assistant does not a scientist make

--

Re: How the bastards do it

Being directly or indirectly reliant on this AGW fraud continuing......

You can see the public reaction to the carbon tax, and the AGW scam general=
ly.
Considering the public, and the unbelievably fast and deep destruction done=
 to the ALP, (which I never thought I would see in my lifetime,) 20%

A similar move could easily spring up to ditch the CSIRO or large parts of =
it, and could start a torrent of similar actions to other "science" institu=
tions - particularly involved with government, or with any connection whats=
oever to the AGW movement,  particularly  considering how many of these scu=
mbags pretending to be scientists have sold out for money. 20%

Personally, this would be a good thing, as to get correct results, everythi=
ng has to be scrutinised by the public, and any deliberate fraud must be pu=
nished with a significant jail term and compensation to anyone affected by =
it.

If I was one of these frauds, I would be very concerned, and I cna understa=
nd why these people would push the AGW lies harder and harder, over and bey=
ond the "emperor's new clothes" level (like we see on here) to keep the mon=
ey coming into the household.

If you are one of these people, stop lying. You won't win, the public is an=
gry at you, and will not tolerate this any more.  You could end up in a wor=
ld of trouble, if you continue. Do the right thing and tell the truth.

Re: How the bastards do it

**What "fraud" do you refer to?

Cite your peer-reviewed science that disproves everything the following
organisations have stated about AGW:

CSIRO
The Australian Academy of Science
BoM
NASA
The US EPA
The US National Academy of Sciences
American Meteorological Society
IPCC
The UK Met
The European Academy of Sciences and Arts
The Royal Society of New Zealand
The Royal Society of the UK
American Association for the Advancement of Science
American Chemical Society
American Institute of Physics
American Physical Society
Australian Institute of Physics
European Physical Society
European Foundation
Federation of Australian Scientific and Technological Societies

To claim that AGW is a fraud, requires some evidence. Thus far, you have
supplied nothing.

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: How the bastards do it
Lets face it nobody pontificating on climate change on Usenet, no matter
which side of the argument they are on, has any relevant qualifications
at all.

Most just believe what they want to believe and go looking for
"Evidence" to support their pre-conceived notions.

Re: How the bastards do it

**Quite so, which is why it is important to listen to the people who
actually know what they're talking about. That excludes Alan Jones, Tony
Abbott, George Pell, Nick Minchin and the other idiots who think they
know more than the climatologists.

**Sadly, you are correct. Clutching at straws, comes to mind. They'll
believe any old snake oil, in the hope that the climatologists are all
wrong.

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: How the bastards do it

**I simply cite the science. I do not pretend to be a scientist. Those
who have decided that all the scientists are wrong, however, need to
present their evidence. Thus far, all I see are pitiful attempts at
insult. Kinda tells us all we need to know.

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: How the bastards do it
  No you cite populist lies with no underpinning foundation to do so

  I do not pretend to be a scientist.
  you try to imitate a person with a clue
  another lie based on your lack of individual proof
  Those
  wrong again done and dusted

Thus far, all I see are pitiful attempts at
  you have had a new one ripped many times and still you deny the reality

Site Timeline