how RS Components survives - Page 2

Re: Aircon & al : OT

  common practise to pump heat into the ground hence returning cooler
air to the house and very efficient

Re: Aircon & al : OT

I'm really not looking forward to digging the trench for that. I just
wish I'd had thought of it when I put in a network of stormwater drainage
pipes. It would have been so easy to have just droped another run of
drainage pipe into the trench higher up.

Re: Aircon & al : OT

Here's my take on it. Putting in under eaves vents is actually wrong. If you
have cavity walls, air will be drawn up from under the floor which will
definitely be cooler than the air in a non ventilated roof space.

MrT.

Re: Aircon & al : OT

:
:> My only gotcha with this is where does the "cooler" air come from? when
:> everything around your hose is 40 deg C, not much point in pulling in air
:> at the same temperature.
:
:
:Here's my take on it. Putting in under eaves vents is actually wrong. If you
:have cavity walls, air will be drawn up from under the floor which will
:definitely be cooler than the air in a non ventilated roof space.
:
:MrT.
:

Thanks for that tip. Since my house is double brick - cavity construction it has
numerous vent bricks low down on the external wall so I will wait to see how it
performs without eave vents.

Re: Aircon & al : OT

are
is
time in
vent is
which
type
provide

Yes, it was that type I was referring too, but they are cheap to buy, cost
nothing to run, and require no maintenance. So about four for an average
house is no big problem IMO. Nor is blocking/unblocking them twice a year
IMO. Your powervent will obviously work on a completely still summer day
however.

Most people don't use them simply for the same reason they buy halogen
downlights, they have no clue!

MrT.

Re: Aircon & al : OT

What is the humidity like in your area ?

Actually was surprised the difference it made in the workshop just
putting a 12" normal pedestal fan
in front of an open window, sucking in fresh air and making the  so
you might be onto something here, as this goes
one better by blowing the hot air from the ceiling cavity also.  Have
never heard of this setup before.

If it saves a few weeks of air con every year, then that is a
substantial cost benefit.

Removing the "stale" air from the room is another benefit, it can
start to smell after being closed on a hot day.

Re: Aircon & al : OT

Ok, but I could imagine that a whole lot of people live in places like
Perth. That would be roughly the stretch of train track (or road train)
that our 100lbs worth of dog food was shipped. Once a truck or train car
is filled and rolling it doesn't matter whether it makes any stops on
the way. In fact, shippers would prefer that it doesn't.

:http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xgt/R-100143013/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId10%051&catalogId10%053

That's often because people become lazy. Evap coolers do require a fair
bit of maintenance and their construction quality, when compared to
refrigerated air units, is IMHO a bit on the flimsy side.

That's what we call a whole-house fan. But it does have the serious
downside that it sucks in dirt and pollen, right through the bug screens
of the doors that you must leave open. Not much fun for folks with
allergies. A pusher such as the evap cooler can be filtered easily.

Same with our evap cooler. Best thing since the invention of pivot
irrigation :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com /

Re: how RS Components survives

In some areas, we seem to have far greater competition. Fedex isn't low
cost here.

That is what I meant about CP, you buy a book of 10 dockets ($120/10
atm?) and just tell supplier to call them and when goods turn up you hand
over a docket. Seems to cover ~70km radius of Sydney.

In comparison, we also have some name companies that are very expensive
as well.

Site Timeline