how much standby power do ALL your appliances use? - Page 5

Re: how much standby power do ALL your appliances use?

Oh, don't worry, my bark is worse than my bite.

Since there is just the ONE CATV Co. in this country and no choice of receiver
exists to the best of my knowledge asive from HD based versions, what else can
one do ? It's the ONLY power-hog I have.

Actually, I was considering contacting Sansung, Virgin Media (the CATV Co. but
not expecting any sense from them) and various 'green' organsations to broaden
the knowledge about this fraud.

Agreed then.

Graham

Re: how much standby power do ALL your appliances use?

Oh, google around. they do exist. I've never seen one IRL though. Wouldn't
be a lot of good to me since it would also shut off the hi-fi when I
turned the TV off.

BTW, the hi-fi DOES have REAL power switches, God Forbid.

Graham

Re: how much standby power do ALL your appliances use?

In that case you put a double adapter (or another power board) before the
auto power board.
Fixed power for those that need it, auto power off for those that need that
function.

Dave.

Re: how much standby power do ALL your appliances use?

Just how much spaghettit is acceptable to fic this design flaw ? Heck, I only
just got 6 way power blocks to cut down on the numbers needed.

Graham

Re: how much standby power do ALL your appliances use?

As much as you need I figure.
A remote control power switch or auto power board is not much extra
spaghetti to fix an annoying design problem like that IMHO. You might even
be able to find one power board to do the whole job.

You might even find the remote solution rather satisifying, being able to
hit a remote switch and shut the stupid thing off while shouting "take THAT
you bastard!" :->

Dave.

Re: how much standby power do ALL your appliances use?

I think a nuclear BOMB on Samsung's plant would give me more satisfaction. And
I'm not even the naturally violent kind of guy.

Graham

Re: how much standby power do ALL your appliances use?

There are quite a few around, but Googling is a bit hard due to all the
different names used.
They are often marketed as "green" power boards, like this one:
http://www.coolgreen.com.au/product.asp?pID35%0&cID40 %

That one even has one extra unswitched outlet, specially for Graham.

Dave.

Re: how much standby power do ALL your appliances use?

Noticed the Electus stuff on that site so I had a quick hunt on
Jaycar. Here's a few more products that may be of interest...

8 Way Powerboard with Master/Slave Control (MS4062)
- 4 "full time" outlets, 1 master, 3 switched slave
http://tinyurl.com/6dcjr7

4 Outlet Remote Control Powerboard
- each outlet has its own on/off button on the remote control
http://tinyurl.com/4kmtmj

USB Activated 6 Way Powerboard (MS4032)
http://tinyurl.com/66qjde

I ended up buying one of those little power meters too. I'm more
interested in measuring the consumption of my computers, since 5 of
them stay on 24/7. Interesting to see that a 1800VA UPS (which I
presume is standby, not line interactive) with no load connected still
consumes 33W. An E2200 / 4GB RAM / 1 x 80GB HD / 5 x 750GB HD box
running FreeBSD 6.2 consumes 115W at idle - HDs powered on but no seek
activity, no NFS requests, CPU frequency throttled back to 273MHz.
Switching off frequency throttling and going back up to 2189MHz only
adds about 4W consumption! Spinning down the HDs when idle would save
more power.

I know these figures are not going to be wholly accurate but I'm using
them for relative comparisons; I can see now that trying to find the
best balance between CPU frequency/consumption and performance is
probably a waste of time.

Re: how much standby power do ALL your appliances use?
products.
by

Ditto the satellite boxes, and if you unplug you have a wait time for
signal re-acquisition that is several long minutes.

Re: how much standby power do ALL your appliances use?

of
start
products.
17W
supplied by
the

It's inexcusably bad design IMHO and I speak as an electronics designer of some
experience.

Graham

Re: how much standby power do ALL your appliances use?

I can give some input here Graham.  I have had DirecTV service before and we
had 2 distinctly different types of receivers.  1 was a Philips and though
it didn't have a "hard" power switch it didn't have any memory either so the
guide info was downloaded on demand.  The other was a Hughes and it had a 3
day memory.  The Philips started up quickly when plugged in but it was
painful to use as when in the guide it was extremely slow and every time you
changed pages or hit the info button you had to wait several seconds for the
"acquiring guide data" message to go away.  The Hughes was slow to start up
when plugged in but once it had the guide data downloaded I could press and
hold down the arrow keys and it would scroll through all the channels faster
than I could read them.  There always seems to be a compromise somewhere.
In our case it was low power usage but slow and painful to use or high power
usage but a joy to use.

BTW I think the person complaining about the Samsung box needs to look
around as I have a General Instrument (now Motorola) DCT and it behaves the
same way as his.  Mine goes from unplugged to watching a channel in less
than a minute IIRC but the guide data seems to take forever to download and
for the first few minutes there is nothing, not even the name of the current
channel or a short description of the current program.

Re: how much standby power do ALL your appliances use?

Well, the new boxes are going to have a power button, but you have to press
and hold it for 45 seconds before it powers off.  I also hear the new hybrid
cars coming out have that same feature, you have to hold the key in the off
position for 10 seconds to shut the car off.
I cant wait! I wish they could make light switches like that.
Eric

Re: how much standby power do ALL your appliances use?

press
hybrid
off

You *WANT* to hold the switch for 10-45 seconds before the light turns off?
!!!!!!!!!!

MrT.

Re: how much standby power do ALL your appliances use?

Can you explain that better ? The 'power button' on this Samsung 2110C responds
immediately but has no actual effect on power consumption.

That's something else entirely

Gragam

Re: how much standby power do ALL your appliances use?

There are some atrocious and very suspicious figures there!
I would seriously doubt the low level accuracy of the meter. I believe this
exact meter (rebadged I think) was recalled by one supplier for being
inaccurate at low currents.

Dave.

Re: how much standby power do ALL your appliances use?

IIRC, and I might be wrong, that meter will read up to 10A, or 2400W.
To expect it to read less than 10W accurately would imply an accuracy
of less than 0.5%, while [again, IIRC] it only claims to be accurate to
5%. Seriously, for $40.00 just how accurate do you expect it to be?

Re: how much standby power do ALL your appliances use?

"Merlin Zener"

** A most wise disclaimer ...

** The problem here is  NOT one of accuracy or resolution.

The problem  IS  we have almost no idea how the darn thing works.

Assuming it only has a single " Watts " range, with apparent resolution of
+/- 1 count   -    there is grave doubt about any reading that involves only
the last one or two (decimal)  digits.

However:

The OP can easily calibrate his meter -  or prove it a dud with simple
tests,  as I gave earlier.

If he connects a 56 kohm resistor as a load  -  it should read 1 watt.

Any value cap should read zero watts.

I betcha it don't.

.....   Phil

Re: how much standby power do ALL your appliances use?

But a $10 multimeter will do better than that by simply changing ranges.

MrT.

Re: how much standby power do ALL your appliances use?

I expect it to be nearly as good as more reputable ones like the Kill-A-Watt
available in the US market for under US$20. (quoted 0.2% basic accuracy for
your interest)
This one is *double* that price, so I'd say it's reasonable to expect
similar performance.

Given that a very large percentage of ordinary people want (and expect) to
use these devices for standby and other low power measurements (it's all the
rage these days), then it's a very deceiving device indeed. That is why more
reputable companies like the ATA online shop pulled it from the shelves,
offered a refund, and sent an email and put ads in ReNew mag informing
everyone that it was useless at low currents. From memory the figure quoted
was 20W or so.

It's a heap of crap.

Dave.

Re: how much standby power do ALL your appliances use?

There are some atrocious and very suspicious figures there!
I would seriously doubt the low level accuracy of the meter. I believe this
exact meter (rebadged I think) was recalled by one supplier for being
inaccurate at low currents.

Dave.

Site Timeline