How legal are Electronics Techs?

I'm working in Queensland as an electronics technician
at the moment, what legal standing do I have when working
on mains powered equipment these days?. Can I work on low
voltage side circuitry so long as I leave the mains area
untouched?, or does has that been outlawed completely
unless I become an apprentice electrician?. I understand
the local TAFE no longer teaches restricted electrical
courses, which is only good for wiring mains plugs anyway.

Re: How legal are Electronics Techs?

you can work on elv  , anything more including the power supply repair
you need the correct paperwork .

  I expect there is more and someone will be sure to add it .
  I thought South Brisbane still teaches the restricted ?

Re: How legal are Electronics Techs?

You only need a Restricted Electrical Licence if you are working outside a
Workshop.
eg in a customers house, or other site, but if you are working in your
registered repair workshop, there is no need for a Licence.

Re: How legal are Electronics Techs?

Allan, I've never worked in the consumer electronics field only RnD or
production co's  - what is a registered repair workshop? Is it a formal
registration thing?

I've got my NREL over a decade ago and believed that if we worked on the
mains wiring / mains components etc then the licence was needed.

cheers.

Re: How legal are Electronics Techs?

I'd be interested in what's required for a registered repair workshop as
well, who would handle such licensing?. The tech I spoke to today told
me a restricted electrical license was no good for 240V power supply
work anyway.

Re: How legal are Electronics Techs?

Business registration is handled by the Office of Fair Trading....
www.fairtrading.qld.gov.au/oft/oftweb.nsf

Licensing is handled by Department of Industrial Relations (Electrical
Safety Office).

A letter, dated 05/03/2003 (I've still got a copy on file), was sent
to all registered businesses that might be affected, . The information
therein is pretty scant but it says in part... "For further assistance
or to obtain an application form, phone 1300 650 662 or visit our
website:  www.eso.qld.gov.au "

You'll probably need to have a registered business name before you can
obtain a licence.

--
John H

Re: How legal are Electronics Techs?

Thanks for the info John, I'll call them up tommorrow.

Re: How legal are Electronics Techs?

When I got mine when they first came out , The Officer said It was not
needed if we only repaired Items in our Workshop.
The workshop is registered as a workplace by the Qld office of fair trading.
I had a look at the act just now,
http://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/LEGISLTN/CURRENT/E/ElectricalSR02.pdf
 and cannot find a reference to it, so who knows they may have changed their
Minds..
He explained its to cover the likes of Manufacture who makes 240 volt
appliances, that all the workers would need the licence as well.
Cheers
Allan

Re: How legal are Electronics Techs?

Self employed or employee?

From the perspective of the self employed... if your business is
registered with Department of Tourism, Fair Trading and Wine Industry
(as I think it's called at the moment) you, or your employees, can
work on mains powered equipment in your own workshop at your
registered address.

If you work on the same equipment at your customers' premises you
require a licence (restricted electrical worker's licence IIRC) and
public liability insurance.

All registered businesses involved in electronics repair were
contacted by the appropriate department (might've been workplace
health & safety) at the time the current requirements were introduced.
Around four years ago IIRC.  At the time the licence was only a matter
of filling out the application and producing an insurance cover note.

AFAIK the employer's licence covers employees.  The licence does not
cover the mains side of the power point.

--
John H

Site Timeline