How does crimping work?

[ want cardioid crimp cross section, not oval]

The large crimp tools I've used have hydraulic rams and make a hexagon shape; it works fine, and is very reliable. Smaller ones make a cruciform shape (and those include military/aircraft grade crimpers), also very reliable. Very small crimpers for sheetmetal U preforms also can be very reliable.

And the good insulated terminals I use are compatible with the cardioid crimp, it apparently doesn't destroy the plastic (but the part of the insulation where the crimp tool bears down isn't always pretty looking). My crimp pliers are good forged steel Kleins, but some of the better sheetmetal pliers (buy a brand name, like AMP or Channellock, there's some baddies out there) also work. I always thought the OVAL crimp was intended only to deform the insulation over the wire to make a dirt seal, not to make the electric/mechanical crimp.

Reply to
whit3rd

In the example I posted earlier, which has strain relief, it's metal that's crimped onto the insulator, not plastic.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

xpost test

-- W . | ,. w , "Some people are alive only because \\|/ \\|/ it is illegal to kill them." Perna condita delenda est

Bob Larter

That's for strain-relief - it's a good thing.

That's the cheaper version.

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

Exactly. It's there for strain relief.

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

The standard crimp tool for insulated terminals has parallel jaws, and those terminals have no provision for the metal part to crimp onto the insulation. Nor will the insulation fit inside the metal part if you're using the correct size, or at least with most cables. A very thin wall type might. But the design calls for all the metal part of the crimp to be in contact with the conductor.

--
*Sticks and stones may break my bones but whips and chains excite me*

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In the example I posted earlier

note how the lug on the left has a different diameter where it's crimped around the insulation to where it's crimped around the conductor. That difference existed prior to crimping - the diameter of the hole for the wire changes part of the way down the shaft so that insulation cannot go any further.

It's true that this difference is not obviously reflected in the tool I used, but given that plastic deforms much more easily than metal, I can believe that having jaws the same size works out OK (it certainly seems to), and has the advantage that there's no right-way around to insert the lug into the tool.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

The proper crimp tool for the small insulated lugs as far as I know has two crimping sections separated by a gap which is designed to crimp both the conducting section on to the cable and the plastic on the lug to the cable insulation at the same time.The cheaper tool which is more common does one operation at a time (once for the cable crimp and once for the insulation)I think that sylvia's lugs have a heavier section for copper to copper and a flimsy copper skirt which continues back inside the plastic insulation over the cable insulation but I may be wrong.

Reply to
F Murtz

IMHO, that type of crimp would require a special tool - not the generic type for these pre-insulated connectors.

--
*Arkansas State Motto: Don\'t Ask, Don\'t Tell, Don\'t Laugh.

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The tool I have works much better on that type of connector than it does on the type where the lug metal doesn't extend back over the cable insulator. In the latter case, it merely squeezes some plastic which then returns to more or less its original shape.

The tool may really be intended for lugs that crimp a longer section of the conductor, but I haven't come across any such lugs.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

:In article , : Trevor Wilson wrote: :> > Depends on the use. I'd say the most common crimp terminals are in :> > some form of spring loaded contact. : :> **We're discussing CRIMP terminals. Like this: : :>

: :> Copper is the material, not brass. : :Heavy duty electrical ones may be - but the most common ones like in :computers and cars are brass.

Aha! Now you have finally made the distinction in your argument...

Commonly used terminals in the whitegoods and automotive areas (ie. QC crimp terminals) are indeed made of brass. But that is about the limit of use for this material. When it comes to electrical crimp lugs, spade terminals etc, then the lug/terminal material is always copper, unless you are using aluminium conductors where the terminal material will be aluminium.

Take a look at the Utilux catalogue (small insulated and un-insulated terminals)

and you will see mentioned at the top of several pages the material is electro-tinned copper. Only the QC tabs are brass.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

Made it pretty well from the start. As I got the impression the OP wasn't talking about heavy duty power connections.

Almost anywhere you go, there will be more crimped terminals which aren't copper - as they are sprung as part of a plug and socket arrangement. Many inside your computer, for a start. TV as well. Etc.

--
*If you ate pasta and anti-pasta, would you still be hungry?

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So? It still relieves strain on the metal-to-metal joint.

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

Crimping is an emergency fix to me. It's a piss poor connection that can corrode and pull apart. I always use solder after crimping.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

solder is not as flexible and causes more trouble than crimping in some circumstances (in areas of vibration etc)

Reply to
F Murtz

**Then you're doing it wrong.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

"Trevor Wilson" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

Yup, adding solder will make the connection brittle, and more prone to failure in a vibration environment.

Crimping is actually far more reliable.

Reply to
Ray