How does crimping work? - Page 4

Re: How does crimping work?

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/terminalsnonins/noninsblades.php
http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/4b15ceb90184983c273fc0a87e0106a4/Product/View/T3535
http://au.farnell.com/jst-japan-solderless-terminals/sto-1-0t-250n/terminal-female-6-3x0-8mm/dp/3625436
The tool designed for that sort of lug has a knife edge bit in one side
of the crimp jaws which make a heart shape of the crimp.
Your crimper looks the same as mine in the jaws with the exception of
the size variation  I am certain  that the flat side or right side goes
toward the lug
and the side that sticks out is the cable side and is designed to crimp
the lug insulation to the cable insulation.
If you place the lug in the jaws with the cable side on the left you
will see that the crimps line up to do what I described.I am going to
check and may buy one similar to yours because some of my new lugs do
not fit old one with bigger insulation crimp on left.

Re: How does crimping work?

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/terminalsnonins/noninsblades.php
http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/4b15ceb90184983c273fc0a87e0106a4/Product/View/T3535
http://au.farnell.com/jst-japan-solderless-terminals/sto-1-0t-250n/terminal-female-6-3x0-8mm/dp/3625436

Here are two insulated lugs that I crimped with mine, from which I then
stripped the insulation.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/sylviae/crimp.jpg

Note how the one on the left, which I bought from Dick Smith Electronics
(DSE), has crimped the insulation as well, whereas the one on the right,
with the shorter crimped section has not. This is not because I failed
to insert the one on the right correctly - it's hole has a constant
radius, and there is no room to put the insulation in. The one on the
left has a barrel (there is no slot) that has a wider section to
accomodate the insulation.

The left one looks the better result, though I have to admit that with
these two, they've passed any pull test I've managed to apply. I can
only conclude that the fully insulated lugs that I bought from Jay Car
are (and I use this word very rarely) crap, because I was able to pull
them apart without even using pliers to hold the lug.

Finally, I tried using the tool the other way around, on one of the DSE
lugs. If there's any difference in the result, it will need to be
determined by a stronger person.

Sylvia.

Re: How does crimping work?

xpost test

  . | ,. w ,   "Some people are alive only because
Re: How does crimping work?

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/terminalsnonins/noninsblades.php
http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/4b15ceb90184983c273fc0a87e0106a4/Product/View/T3535
http://au.farnell.com/jst-japan-solderless-terminals/sto-1-0t-250n/terminal-female-6-3x0-8mm/dp/3625436

That's for strain-relief - it's a good thing.

That's the cheaper version.

  . | ,. w ,   "Some people are alive only because
Re: How does crimping work?

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/terminalsnonins/noninsblades.php
http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/4b15ceb90184983c273fc0a87e0106a4/Product/View/T3535
http://au.farnell.com/jst-japan-solderless-terminals/sto-1-0t-250n/terminal-female-6-3x0-8mm/dp/3625436

I don't know if this will work One makes the heart shape crimp the other
is similar to yours except it is not ratchet but works like vice grips.
http://picasaweb.google.com/FMurtz9/Lugs?authkey=Gv1sRgCK2Pr6z7-ZOEvAE

Re: How does crimping work?

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/terminalsnonins/noninsblades.php
http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/4b15ceb90184983c273fc0a87e0106a4/Product/View/T3535
http://au.farnell.com/jst-japan-solderless-terminals/sto-1-0t-250n/terminal-female-6-3x0-8mm/dp/3625436

The teeth(?) look much the same in all cases. I originally envisaged
something would push down further in the centre, to create the desired
shape, but it appears they down't work that way.

FWIW, here are images of both sides the business end of my tool

http://members.optusnet.com.au/sylviae/crimptool.jpg

The bottom one is a mirror image, to make comparison easier.

Sylvia.

Re: How does crimping work?

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/terminalsnonins/noninsblades.php
http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/4b15ceb90184983c273fc0a87e0106a4/Product/View/T3535
http://au.farnell.com/jst-japan-solderless-terminals/sto-1-0t-250n/terminal-female-6-3x0-8mm/dp/3625436
Yours have teeth mine does not that is why I have a separate crimper
with more defined knife edge. It looks as if yours tries to be dual
purpose.

Re: How does crimping work?

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/terminalsnonins/noninsblades.php
http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/4b15ceb90184983c273fc0a87e0106a4/Product/View/T3535
http://au.farnell.com/jst-japan-solderless-terminals/sto-1-0t-250n/terminal-female-6-3x0-8mm/dp/3625436
  I am going to wear out the reply button.
The heart shaped is for those non insulated open lugs you showed an url
for earlier
here is a couple more pics, I think,new at this pic posting
http://picasaweb.google.com/FMurtz9/Lugs1?authkey=Gv1sRgCODVs7zcofCqDg

Re: How does crimping work?

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/4b15ceb90184983c273fc0a87e0106a4/Product/View/T3535

My dislike of the pre-insulated types is the crimp consists of flattening
the part in contact with the cable.

A link was posted earlier by Trevor Wilson where the first pic shows the
type I prefer:-
http://www.ami.ac.uk/courses/topics/0119_crmp/index.html

You can't produce this sort of shape with a pre-insulated type as it would
pierce the insulation. But then the pre-insulated types are used (in the
UK) on mains wiring etc where the conductor is a single strand. And a
heart shaped crimp wouldn't work with those.

--
*Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups *

    Dave Plowman         snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk           London SW
Re: How does crimping work?

 [ want cardioid crimp cross section, not oval]

The large crimp tools I've used have hydraulic rams and make a hexagon
shape; it works fine, and is very reliable.  Smaller ones make a
cruciform
shape (and those include military/aircraft grade crimpers), also very
reliable.   Very small crimpers for sheetmetal U preforms also can be
very reliable.

And the good insulated terminals I use are compatible with the
cardioid
crimp, it apparently doesn't destroy the plastic (but the part of the
insulation where the crimp tool bears down isn't always pretty
looking).
My crimp pliers are good forged steel Kleins, but some of the better
sheetmetal pliers (buy a brand name, like AMP or Channellock, there's
some baddies out there) also work.    I always thought the OVAL
crimp was intended only to deform the insulation over the wire to
make a dirt seal, not to make the electric/mechanical crimp.

Re: How does crimping work?

The ratchet tool provides substantial mechanical advantage compared to
many of the cheap tools,  and therefore enormous pressure on the
joint.  With the right tool, the joint is squashed down by the exact
amount, whereas cheap hand tools are more "hit and miss" as to whether
you have applied the right pressure to them.  the "die" is also a lot
better on ones that I have seen, and probably designed to put the
pressure in the exact right places at the right time during the crimp.
(ie, more efficient use of the energy you apply with your hands)

As the metal parts of the surface being crimped are squashed really
hard by the tool, they probably heat up (compression causes heat, and
metals expand with heat,), and then shrink as they cool, tightening on
the wire ?.

Re: How does crimping work?

Another paper here of relevance
http://www.eee.metu.edu.tr/~ssedele/New%20Folder/GOKCEN/45.pdf

--
Regards
Blue

Re: How does crimping work?

And what's the view on the comparative effectiveness of swage
impact crimpers and hydraulic crimpers over ratchet crimpers?  I
find them both useful for automotive battery and similar large
cabling but too cumbersome for smaller gauge wiring or close
quarters as they need space and at least two free hands; indeed
with the hydraulic I often need someone hold the cable and
connector while I use two hands to crimp. And the swage impact
crimper is a out of the car bench only tool.

eg http://www.skygeek.com/ats-bs104.html for an impact swage
crimper and

http://www.skygeek.com/ats-bs104.html for a hydraulic crimper.

I find with the right sized die they do seem to good job on even
small terminals but if the size is even slightly wrong they tend
to crush the terminal so its unusable.

--
Regards
Blue

Re: How does crimping work?

Crimping is an emergency fix to me. It's a piss poor connection that can
corrode and pull apart. I always use solder after crimping.

Re: How does crimping work?

solder is not as flexible and causes more trouble than crimping in some
circumstances (in areas of vibration etc)

Re: How does crimping work?

**Then you're doing it wrong.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: How does crimping work?

Yup, adding solder will make the connection brittle, and more prone to
failure in a vibration environment.

Crimping is actually far more reliable.

Site Timeline